100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:30 am

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Eastern Promises

7.5/10

Solid movie, but could of been much better if they didn't cut it short. The movie has it's big twist and direction swing towards the end, and never elaborates. It's not that it leaves you hanging on the edge of your seat, it's that they developed so many things that seem to be perfectly suitable arcs to continue with. The best way I can describe it is it's as if the Godfather ended after the restaurant scene. Sure that closes ties, and could be the ending, but there was plenty of story to continue with and all of it very good and not forced. Eastern Promises could of been longer and been just as interesting if not more so in another hour or so as the first 1:45.

i saw this too, it was pretty good but i see what you're saying about it going on...my wife really enjoyed the nude Viggo Mortensen fight
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:09 pm

The Wendell Baker Story - 4/10

I hadn't even heard of this movie until I saw an ad on the paper that it was being released on DVD about two months ago. The movie didn't play on the theaters in Canada even though the cast includes Luke and Owen Wilson, Eva Mendes, Eddie Griffin and Will Ferrell. I had read a review that it was a good indie comedy directed by Luke Wilson and his older brother Andrew. IMHO, the movie was pretty bad. I probably laughed once or twice the whole movie, and that would have been OK if the story didn't suck.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 211)

Postby ensanimal » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:58 pm

7.5/10

Solid movie, but could of been much better if they didn't cut it short. The movie has it's big twist and direction swing towards the end, and never elaborates. It's not that it leaves you hanging on the edge of your seat, it's that they developed so many things that seem to be perfectly suitable arcs to continue with. The best way I can describe it is it's as if the Godfather ended after the restaurant scene. Sure that closes ties, and could be the ending, but there was plenty of story to continue with and all of it very good and not forced. Eastern Promises could of been longer and been just as interesting if not more so in another hour or so as the first 1:45.

I have to agree. I was loving the movie, then it just sort of ended. There was a lot of movie left to be explored.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 91)

Postby Yoda » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:02 pm

Old movie: Memento 8/10

Somewhat confusing but watching it the second time it was still very fresh and good. One thing I don't understand is, why doesn't he just keep a detailed journal of all the events instead of spreading everything out with photos, tattoos, etc? Seems like it would be a lot simpler to follow but anyway, I'm nitpicking. Also, does anyone know if his psychological condition really exists?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:42 pm

Probably because a journal is less dramatic. :-D

Also, I think after it becomes clear that he is purposefully lying to himself his methodology makes a little more sense. As for his condition, I remember reading a review that said there was no documented amnesia condition quite like his.

I gave Eastern Promises 8/10. Based on the movies I've seen this year, I will be stunned if Mortensen doesn't walk away with the Oscar.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:47 am

He states it in the movie, he puts all the most dramatic absolutely necessary things as tattoo's so that they can never be forgotten, it's easy for a regular person to misplace something, for someone in his condition it would even more likely considering just how severe the losses in memory are. You can't lose tattoos, and pictures are for visual reminders, can't exactly remember who a person is simply from their name in a journal. He doesn't remember jack after each memory lapse including faces, or anything's appearance. Everything he does is quite plausible and logical, certainly a journal to accompany the two wouldn't be a bad idea, but you can't say the tattoo's and picture stood only for dramatic effect. BTW, I absolutely love that movie one of my absolute favorites.
Last edited by TheA'sFatLeadoffMan on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:53 am

ensanimal wrote:

7.5/10

I have to agree. I was loving the movie, then it just sort of ended. There was a lot of movie left to be explored.

Yeah, I would of given it a much higher rating(8.5-9) had it finished things up, but the last 15-20 minutes take what is a relatively slow moving plot, speed it up by 100, and wrap it up with much to be explored. One could say it leaves room for a sequel, but the serious change in placing speaks to its need to of been all in one movie if they even do a sequel. Can't even truly say there was enough material for a whole other movie without having to drum up another story arc, but there was certainly enough to make you feel as if you were being left out on what was a interesting story.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:56 am

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:He states it in the movie, he puts all the most dramatic absolutely necessary things as tattoo's so that they can never be forgotten, it's easy for a regular person to misplace something, for someone in his condition it would even more likely considering just how severe the losses in memory are. You can't lose tattoos, and pictures are for visual reminders, can't exactly remember who a person is simply from their name in a journal. He doesn't remember jack after each memory lapse including faces, or anything's appearance. Everything he does is quite plausible and logical, certainly a journal to accompany the two wouldn't be a bad idea, but you can't say the tattoo's and picture stood only for dramatic effect. BTW, I absolutely love that movie one of my absolute favorites.

lol why did you edit this post 3 times? :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:56 pm

There Will Be Blood

9/10

Yes, yes there will be. DDL is a shoo-in for Best Actor for this one (though I haven't seen Viggo in Eastern Promises yet). This is a movie about the successes and failures of false prophets and the good people who individually suffer in their wake. Everything about it is perfect or damn close. Scenery, camera work, grit, story, acting, everything is superlative. This movie supports my theory that 90% of good stories can't be appropriately told in less than 2 hours. I docked it one point b/c I would like to have seen another 15-20 minutes added to the movie to focus on Eli Sunday. It's not that anything is missing per se, I just wanted to see more.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby tuff_gong » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:39 pm

RugbyD wrote:There Will Be Blood

9/10

Yes, yes there will be. DDL is a shoo-in for Best Actor for this one (though I haven't seen Viggo in Eastern Promises yet). This is a movie about the successes and failures of false prophets and the good people who individually suffer in their wake. Everything about it is perfect or damn close. Scenery, camera work, grit, story, acting, everything is superlative. This movie supports my theory that 90% of good stories can't be appropriately told in less than 2 hours. I docked it one point b/c I would like to have seen another 15-20 minutes added to the movie to focus on Eli Sunday. It's not that anything is missing per se, I just wanted to see more.

It sounds like this movie is turning out to be everything I wanted it to be. How was Paul Dano?

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk