Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:55 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:A Scanner Darkly - 6/10

Original and unique experience. It's live action that has been coloured over to look like a poorly done cartoon. It's a movie about drug abuse and the effects make it seem like you are on drugs. Creepy and cool to start with but it's a little annoying after a while. Great cast, Keanu Reeves, Downey Jr., Winona Ryder, Woody Harelson are all in their element and quite good. Not for everyone.

FYI it's called Roto-Scoping...and it was a pretty cool movie

i recently saw The Bourne Movies. i'm just lumping them all together, definatley liked them, not really any dull momemnts, great car chases, but Julia Stiles bugs me, at least she isnt in at a lot
8/10

Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street Way, way too much singing, and this is coming from someone who actually liked Chicago and Moulin Rouge (that's going to come back an haunt me, isnt it :-B )...maybe it was because they were singing in British. it had some OK death scenes and picked up at the end, but overall i was pretty disapointed
5/10

Pirates 3 - way to totally underuse Chow Yun Fat :-t i cant tell if it sucked more than part 2 or not because the final battle was pretty cool, but neither sequal can hold a candle to part 1.
5/10

The Simpsons Movie not too bad, it wasnt as funny as i had hoped, but the plot was better than i thought it would be
7/10

i also re-watched the 1st season of Arrested Development ;-D
10/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:30 pm

watched the Bourne Ultimatum last night, i'd give it an 8/10...

As different as they are from the movie, the books are pretty good. Maybe they have too many big words for Mookie.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:06 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:No Country for Old Men - 7/10
Excellent movie. Enthralling. The ending sucked though. The screen went black and 200 people just sat there waiting for it to continue, when it didn't and the credits started rolling everyone together said pretty much HTH? Disappointing ending. I don't require closure but this was unsatisfying.

I actually thought it was a perfect ending. What more was needed to be said? What was unsatisfying about it?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Mugrila » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:05 pm

Walk Hard took me by surprise; I actually really enjoyed it. Anybody seen Juno yet?
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:07 pm

bigken117 wrote:watched the Bourne Ultimatum last night, i'd give it an 8/10...

As different as they are from the movie, the books are pretty good. Maybe they have too many big words for Mookie.

Worst books ever.

You could only like those books if you have no taste in sports teams, I mean literature.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:21 pm

Meh. I gave Bourne Ultimatum 7/10 on IMDB. I don't like the books enough to argue about them but they weren't that bad. The action in the movie was sweet and kept me entertained but the plot line was dull. I would have preferred the Jackal storyline to have existed in the movies. I swear that the only reason this movie is in the IMDB Top #250 is because of the anti-U.S. message.

Just saw Charlie Wilson's War. Give it 7/10 also. Hoffman is awesome in it but other than that I'd just wait for DVD.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:17 am

Mugrila wrote:Walk Hard took me by surprise; I actually really enjoyed it. Anybody seen Juno yet?

I saw it last week, and it was one of the better movies I've seen in theatres this year. Ellen Page does a great job in the starring role. I didn't even know who she was before watching it, though immediately I recognized her as being a minor character from one of my favourite shows (The Trailer Park Boys) years ago. The dialogue throughout the movies is also pretty funny and clever. I would have liked to have seen more screen time for Michael Cera, who also does a fairly good job as a similar type character to the ones he usually plays, but that's about it.

8/10.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby bigken117 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:22 am

Amazinz wrote: I would have preferred the Jackal storyline to have existed in the movies.

Same.

Mookie4ever wrote:Worst books ever.

You could only like those books if you have no taste in sports teams, I mean literature.

Maybe something was lost when they translated it to Canadian? Probably the 'eh' after every time someone talks....that would ruin the book for me too. I also think it's funny you hated the first book so much you read the second and you hated the second so much you read the third.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:01 am

bigken117 wrote:
Amazinz wrote: I would have preferred the Jackal storyline to have existed in the movies.

Same.

Mookie4ever wrote:Worst books ever.

Maybe something was lost when they translated it to Canadian? Probably the 'eh' after every time someone talks....that would ruin the book for me too. I also think it's funny you hated the first book so much you read the second and you hated the second so much you read the third.

lol touche.

See the difference between us is that I can take it as well as I can dish it out. :-)
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby tuff_gong » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:34 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:No Country for Old Men - 7/10
Excellent movie. Enthralling. The ending sucked though. The screen went black and 200 people just sat there waiting for it to continue, when it didn't and the credits started rolling everyone together said pretty much HTH? Disappointing ending. I don't require closure but this was unsatisfying.

I actually thought it was a perfect ending. What more was needed to be said? What was unsatisfying about it?

After seeing No Country again, I think this is the way I would have liked it to end (even though I have no real problems with the way it ended)

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT...

...instead of having Anton walk away from the car crash, then having Tommy Lee Jones' character close out the movie, I would probably have switched the scenes, having Jones' character giving his final speech, then show Anton leaving Llewelyns wife's house, and have him get in the car crash and die. End of the movie. I think it would have been neat to have him be so violent and ruthless in the way he killed people, and then have him die in a car crash like that. It could have made some of the book and movie's themes more obvious as well...

But enough of that. A couple of movies I have seen lately,

Sweeney Todd - For a musical, I really liked it. Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter are awesome. 8/10.

Walk Hard - This was actually funnier that I thought it would be. I was expecting a terrible film and ended up getting a few laughs out of it. 6.5/10.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk