Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby mweir145 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:47 am

how did you not like the ending of the departed. sure the killings were sorta crazy but it was so dramatic and unexpected. i loved it...

I thought the last kill of the movie was a bit unnecessary to the plot, but I liked the ending of that one, too.

Citizen Kane - 5/10 i guess... i dont really know. sure i took it for what it was worth, black and white 1941, but i dont get how anyone can call it one of the greatest films of all time. i dont know, maybe im just missing the point.

I've had some people tell me that's one of the greatest films of all time, and some others tell me it's one of the most overrated of all time. I guess I'll have to watch it sometime.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:52 am

I didn't care for the ending to The Departed either. Still thought it was an excellent movie but the ending was clumsy, rushed, and totally unlike the rest of the film. The ending for Blood Diamond worked for me as well.

As for Citizen Kane, I think it has to be viewed considering the era in which is was created. The cinematography at the time was revolutionary. In one of Ebert's book there is a great chapter about how many of the techniques created for this movie are still in use today. Anyway, I think that if you can get past the fact that it is damn old and that not all aspects stand the test of time, it is a great movie. I don't know if it's the greatest movie ever made but it gets better with each viewing for me. The new Citizen Kane DVD with Ebert's commentary is awesome.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:02 pm

Amazinz wrote:As for Citizen Kane, I think it has to be viewed considering the era in which is was created. The cinematography at the time was revolutionary. In one of Ebert's book there is a great chapter about how many of the techniques created for this movie are still in use today. Anyway, I think that if you can get past the fact that it is damn old and that not all aspects stand the test of time, it is a great movie. I don't know if it's the greatest movie ever made but it gets better with each viewing for me. The new Citizen Kane DVD with Ebert's commentary is awesome.

and i tried, considering this was for a film class. all things considered, i just didnt think it was all that it was cracked up to be, but i dont know if ive ever really enjoyed a film from that time period.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:56 am

For those that haven't seen Infernal Affairs, the movie The Departed was derived from,

***Spoilers for the movie Infernal Affairs***

the last kill in the movie doesn't happen. Like I said earlier Infernal Affairs is the better movie, and I would highly recommend Infernal Affairs II as well, haven't seen the 3rd one yet.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:28 am

American Gangster - 8.5/10

Denzel Washington is the man.

Sometimes I felt the editing was kind of sloppy, but doesn't take anything away from it.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:13 pm

No Country for Old Men: The best movie I've seen in a theatre in quite a while.

9/10.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby JTWood » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:07 am

I wanted to go see No Country, but my wife was in the mood for something scary, so - against my better judgment - I let her talk me into seeing The Mist. The book was good. How bad could the movie be, right?

I'm still trying to decide if this was worse than Tailor of Panama. Just awful. It was a terrible, terrible script with terrible, terrible actors, and just when it didn't seem like it could get any worse, they managed to go and vilify Christians and the military in a few, sweeping blows.

But the book is good. I swear. Go read it. You won't be disappointed.

In summary...

Mist, the Movie: -2/10
Mist, the Book: 8.5/10.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bigken117 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:16 am

I felt the same about the ending of The Departed....hated it. From the time where they fight on the building, I thought that from then on lost something the rest of the movie created. I'd give it maybe a 7.5 of 10.

Haven't been to the theater in forever. Having a kid will do that for you :-°

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby RyanK » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:02 am

mweir145 wrote:No Country for Old Men: The best movie I've seen in a theatre in quite a while.

9/10.

it was good but i lost interest near the end.. it couldve been written a little better, there were too many minor characters in my opinion. But it was a very entertaining movie, and some good acting.

it couldve been better, or i just had extremely high expectations for it before i saw it.

definatly worth seeing though
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby mweir145 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:27 am

RyanK wrote:
mweir145 wrote:No Country for Old Men: The best movie I've seen in a theatre in quite a while.

9/10.

it was good but i lost interest near the end.. it couldve been written a little better, there were too many minor characters in my opinion. But it was a very entertaining movie, and some good acting.

it couldve been better, or i just had extremely high expectations for it before i saw it.

definatly worth seeing though

Written a little better? I thought the screenplay was one of the film's strong points, with its added bits of humor at the right moments. I haven't read the book to compare, but I suppose I'll get around to it at some point.

As for too many minor characters, well I didn't really feel that way. The movie reminded me of Pulp Fiction (one of my favorite movies) to an extent, and it was the constant level of suspense throughout that really made the movie for me. Definitely the best film I've seen this year, a definite Oscar contender, and as I said, the best thing I've seen in a theatre in quite a while.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk