100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby RugbyD » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:06 am

Yoda wrote:
brewcrew4you wrote:Beowulf - 5/10

The reviewer in the Milwaukee paper gave it 3.5/4, and he is typically quick to pan this type of movie, so I gave it a shot. I don't think that I'm a fan of the motion capture CGI, and they should have either made this movie PG or R - there are many situations with partial nudity, but since it doesn't look real, its kinda dumb that they don't go all the way. The action was interesting, but the actual story of Beowulf is changed quite a bit.

The new trailer for Cloverfield was interesting, though.

Hitman, here I come ;-D

I don't understand why they didn't just use real actors with CGI environment. They probably could have made it look a bit more realistic. From what I've seen, it looks like a video game.

agreed. seems like just nerd masturbatory material. if you're going to make a movie with life-like cgi, do away wit the primo actors or else you just wasting time and money.

i actually prefer model SFX to cgi cuz the former is more real. think about Spaceballs with cgi instead of models. cgi would be so much worsse. cgi just seems half-assed when its a major component. For example, I much prefer Dogma wings to Underworld 2 wings. cgi is for old people and toddlers who dont know better (certain exceptions apply like 300, Sin City, etc.)
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:37 am

Here's a few movies I've seen lately...........

Mr.Brooks 6.5/10 Good but kinda stalled at some points.

Departed 7/10 Lacking on the action IMO but very strong

Oceans 13 8/10 Never saw 11 and 12 but was quite happy and impressed with this one

Tombstone 9.5/10 Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday is most likely the greatest role ever

Pulp Fiction 8.5/10 Another awesome movie

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:48 pm

Bugs - 5/10 - an unbelievable and utterly ridiculous story. The two lead actors were very good and that was probably the only thing that was good about this movie. Don't waste your time.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:15 am

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - 7/10

All-around good flick. Solid story, solid acting. It's chopped up into some different areas of the timeline, but I don't think it was necessary to be so non-linear. It doesn't assist in explaining anything or causing suspense or wonder. Bonus - Marisa Tomei looking HOT.....and naked ;-D
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:59 am

Blood Diamond 9/10

Magnificent!
It was 143 minutes which is quite long , but it held my attention the whole time.
Djimon Hounsou who played Solomon was fantastic , a nigh on perfect good guy. How did he not get the Oscar? :-?
Leo kept up a high standard as a conflicted anti-hero. ;-D
Jennifer Connelly was pretty good as a hot , but annoying , token love interest. :-L
The bad guys in this film (the R.U.F) are really really repulsively bad , which helps you get an emotional investment in the good guys.

The best bit....................................(for me at least)......................................

IT HAD A SATISFYING ENDING YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D

I am so sick of the lazy lame endings of recent films I have watched , this was the most satisfying ending since Saw 1. It ties the story up in a nice little bow.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:20 pm

i loved blood diamond but i hated the ending. im not going to spoil anything for someone who hasnt seen the film, but i just thought it could have been so much easier the "other" way.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:21 am

Snakes Gould wrote:i loved blood diamond but i hated the ending. im not going to spoil anything for someone who hasnt seen the film, but i just thought it could have been so much easier the "other" way.

That's true , it could have gone the other way at any stage. But I liked it because it was an actual ending , not like recent films I have seen Pirates of The Carribean 2 and The Departed and The Hitcher which all have retarded endings.......esp Pirates 2.---> A bad guy pirate walks down the stairs and says "aarrr" , and you've just wasted 2 and a half hours for half a movie.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:46 am

I liked the ending.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:51 am

I don't think movies should be required to have the endings spelled out for you. I mean think of the movie "The Conversation" the ending is uncertain and open to a level of interpretation, is that bad? I do not think so, I think it's interesting, and at times I think an ending can defer from the meaning of a movie, where as if you leave it open people are forced to think over what really mattered not just some happily tied bow at the end.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:54 am

i like open ended movies for sure.

how did you not like the ending of the departed. sure the killings were sorta crazy but it was so dramatic and unexpected. i loved it...

Citizen Kane - 5/10 i guess... i dont really know. sure i took it for what it was worth, black and white 1941, but i dont get how anyone can call it one of the greatest films of all time. i dont know, maybe im just missing the point.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk