Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:57 pm

There is something strangely attractive about her. Can't figure it out. Obviously not classically beautiful. %-6

As for the authenticity of Frank Lucas in AG, can't say I agree with you but to each his own. I would suggest reading The Return of Super Fly. It's a New Yorker article and you can read it online (just Google). Washington's character is nothing like the real man, at least based on my impression from that article and other things I have read.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:14 am

Amazinz wrote:There is something strangely attractive about her. Can't figure it out. Obviously not classically beautiful. %-6

As for the authenticity of Frank Lucas in AG, can't say I agree with you but to each his own. I would suggest reading The Return of Super Fly. It's a New Yorker article and you can read it online (just Google). Washington's character is nothing like the real man, at least based on my impression from that article and other things I have read.


right on.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:33 am

I meant authentic to the time period and such, I know nothing of Frank Lucas' life, so I can't say to what percentage the movie is true to it. I just meant an overall authentic feel, as opposed to a Scarface feel, or Casino feel, where the characters seem to act how you might expect and not fall into obvious cliches. There is not much that seems very out there for dramatic appeal, there is the one scene I spoke of and a few things here and there, but overall the movie feels more documentary than a sensory overload of everything gangster.
Image
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1505
Joined: 7 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:13 pm

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:I meant authentic to the time period and such, I know nothing of Frank Lucas' life, so I can't say to what percentage the movie is true to it. I just meant an overall authentic feel, as opposed to a Scarface feel, or Casino feel, where the characters seem to act how you might expect and not fall into obvious cliches. There is not much that seems very out there for dramatic appeal, there is the one scene I spoke of and a few things here and there, but overall the movie feels more documentary than a sensory overload of everything gangster.


ill agree with that. i was expecting much more "gangster" feel. i think they've been trying to market it as such too with the trailors and everything.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Coppermine » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:10 pm

I just saw Transformers, finally. The whole story was a total cheese factory, like the script was just stealing crappy parts of "Armageddon" and "Independence Day" except Ben Affleck is an annoying teenager and Area 51 is the Hoover Dam.

But, given my extremely low expectation given the director, it was actually pretty entertaining. Not that my own childhood didn't help it along. One critic said it best when he said "The robot thespians are better actors than the cast of Armageddon and the plot is probably more historically accurate than Pearl Harbor."

Can we nominate Optimus Prime for a Golden Globe?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:49 am

yea i just saw transformers too and i gotta say i was pretty blown away by the special effects. however, the story and characters were quite boring and not being one of the people who grew up watching and playing with transformers, i didn't feel any connection to the whole thing. oh and who's smart idea was it to hide alien robot below the hoover dam??? not smart to hide alien junk at a such a vulnerable place in case they come looking for it... because of special effects, i'd give it a C+. w/o it, probably a D or F movie.
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby JTWood » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:29 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:because of special effects, i'd give it a C+. w/o it, probably a D or F movie.

I didn't even like the special effects, particularly at the end. I had no idea what was going on in those fight sequences. They moved way too fast to be comprehensible.
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby tuff_gong » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:04 pm

Saw American Gangster last night. I thought it did it's job, provide an entertaining gangster movie. Nothing more, nothing less. 7.5/10.
Image

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1483
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 14th and Ohio

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Coppermine » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:49 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:yea i just saw transformers too and i gotta say i was pretty blown away by the special effects. however, the story and characters were quite boring and not being one of the people who grew up watching and playing with transformers, i didn't feel any connection to the whole thing. oh and who's smart idea was it to hide alien robot below the hoover dam??? not smart to hide alien junk at a such a vulnerable place in case they come looking for it... because of special effects, i'd give it a C+. w/o it, probably a D or F movie.


It was all just slightly updated concepts from "Independence Day."

Remember how they kept the alien at Area 51? In Transformers, replace with _________ Hoover Dam!
It's like Michael Bay just plays Mad Libs with scripts from Jerry Bruckheimer movies.
No Will Smith? Insert annoying teenager.
No Liv Tyler? Insert less famous hot chick.
Steve Buscemi doing something that actually might help his career? Insert Jon Turturro (in his worst role EVER).
Shameless product placement? Off the charts. I'm surprised Optimus Prime didn't stop at the McDonalds drive through.

And if you haven't heard, Transformers 2 has been officially green-lit with Michael Bay directing. He's about to do with Transformers what Tim Burton did to every existing concept he ever touched.

And yes, the special effects, while awesome, were also so way overdone and over-the-top that it was mostly just hard to tell what was happening.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:01 pm

Coppermine wrote:And if you haven't heard, Transformers 2 has been officially green-lit with Michael Bay directing.


Of course with the writers' strike this has come to a grinding halt.

hahahahaha :-b


I actually enjoyed Transformers. It was an enjoyable 2hours where I didn't have to think at all.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 277)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: assiquate and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact