Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Amazinz » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:40 pm

A DVD quality copy of AG got published on the Internet over a week ago. Copies were actually getting passed around at a job site I was on. Anyway, I must shamefully admit I watched it as well. :*)

I give it 6/10 and the only reason I rate it that high is because the acting by Washington and Crowe is very good (but probably not as good as you might expect with these two clashing on the screen). It's just a paint-by-numbers gangster movie and the "based on a true story" aspect is just as loose as is it can be. I realize Hollywood has been romanticizing the Italian mafia for years but the hero that they turned Frank Lucas into was really unsettling to me. Almost makes me want to rate it lower just because.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:16 pm

indeed. this is one the copy i saw as well. im actually going to knock it down alittle bit. most good movie ive watched have me thinking or wanting to talk about it the next day, and im pretty much already over this. well acted which keeps you entertained but disapointing.

6.5/10

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:44 pm

Damn, and here I was hoping it would prove to be better than 3:10 to Yuma.

There really haven't been that many good movies this year, that I've seen anyway.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:05 pm

id recommend we own the night to you. pretty solid flick.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:16 am

I just watched American Gangster, and I had no real problem with it. It kept me entertained for the full 2.5 hours, the acting was good, and so was the plot. It does get a bit slow at times, and if I went in with higher expectations I may have been disappointed, but as a result of this thread, I didn't. Just like 3:10 to Yuma, the other decent Crowe film I saw recently, if this gets an Oscar nomination, I'll again say it will have been a down year for movies.

7.5/10.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:56 am

Just saw Saw IV this evening. Probably won't be a movie for everyone, but I still give it a 9 out of 10 due to the complexity of it. Well made, and very solid addition to the series. ;-D DON'T go see it if you haven't at least seen Saw III. I'd suggest having seen all 3 of the Saw movies before trying to wrap your brain around Saw IV, but you really need to at least have seen Saw III to "get" this one and just how complex it really is.

;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:48 am

Madison wrote:Just saw Saw IV this evening. Probably won't be a movie for everyone, but I still give it a 9 out of 10 due to the complexity of it. Well made, and very solid addition to the series. ;-D DON'T go see it if you haven't at least seen Saw III. I'd suggest having seen all 3 of the Saw movies before trying to wrap your brain around Saw IV, but you really need to at least have seen Saw III to "get" this one and just how complex it really is.

;-D

hmm interesting. definitely something im gonna check out even tho i didnt really enjoy saw 3

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby brewcrew4you » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:41 pm

Dan in Real Life - 6/10

Went with the girlfriend - this one was her choice - there were more funny parts than I expected, but the plot "twists" were all things I totally saw coming.

On a related note, Dane Cook was in this movie (from the previews, I had no idea), and for once, I didn't hate him.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:21 am

City of God - 8.5

Very good, even if it was depressing.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter