100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:31 pm

Dark City

6/10

I may just not be the target audience for a movie like this considering on Netflix, all the reviewers loved it, but I found it just hokey. The alien race looks so cheap, and uninspired, the lead actor is very unfulfilling, Keifer Sutherland as the doctor took me out of the movie because he's turned himself into only Jack Baurer, though that's not the movies fault it still exists. Just very unimpressive to me, even the plot that was supposed to be so intriguing had me thinking, it was completely underdeveloped.

The Insider

10/10

Magnificent movie, Pachino, and Crowe are spectacular, esp. Pachino(as usual). The movie though only loosely based on a true story gives you what feels like a real intimate tale of a man to be admired. For those who may not of heard of it, it's a movie about a former big tobacco scientist, who wishes to spill the beans on the tobacco business, but comes under TREMENDOUS pressure from some predictable places and some unpredictable. The movie does a great job of switching the focus character in the middle of the movie from Crowe to Pachino, due to circumstances. The movie keeps a very tense feeling throughout, and not tense like gun to your head, but tense like stress of horrible and testing times. I HIGHLY recommend this movie.

Glenngary Glenn Ross

9/10

Great movie, and yeah I'm a Pachino fan, but everyone should be. Has a pretty impressive cast, of Pachino, Lemmon, Spacey, and Baldwin, a look into the harsh life of a salesman. Kind of the opposite of a movie like Boiler Room, which is a fantastic movie itself, instead of the glamorous exciting side of the business it looks into the harsher times, and displays great characters with great involvements in the plot.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:37 am

Any Science Fiction fans out there?

I recently rented the complete Firefly series and followed it with Serenity. I thought it was just fantastic. For those of you who arent familiar with this, Firefly was a television show that was cancelled after one season, but fan demand prompted them to make a followup movie for it after the cancellation. It was created/directed by Joss Whedon (sp?) the guy who also made Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I thought the series was highly original and entertaining and the movie was the perfect wrap up to it. It was a cool twist on the space frontier/science fiction genre. If you are a fan of that sort of thing, you have to go and find Firefly and Serenity - you wont be disapointed. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:41 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Any Science Fiction fans out there?

I recently rented the complete Firefly series and followed it with Serenity. I thought it was just fantastic. For those of you who arent familiar with this, Firefly was a television show that was cancelled after one season, but fan demand prompted them to make a followup movie for it after the cancellation. It was created/directed by Joss Whedon (sp?) the guy who also made Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I thought the series was highly original and entertaining and the movie was the perfect wrap up to it. It was a cool twist on the space frontier/science fiction genre. If you are a fan of that sort of thing, you have to go and find Firefly and Serenity - you wont be disapointed. ;-D

I never saw the show, but I did really like the movie and bought it. Very entertaining movie.

8.5/10 (B)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:50 am

josebach wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Any Science Fiction fans out there?

I never saw the show, but I did really like the movie and bought it. Very entertaining movie.

8.5/10 (B)

Loved them both. I watched the TV series first and was very disappointed when they cancelled it. The movie was terrific. I also read the book which gives you a little more insight into how screwed up Mal is. I was hoping that the movie would bring the TV series back but it never happened.

for people who were not into the movie I give it 8.5/10 for fans of the series 9.5/10

I just saw 300. Great violence but too many naked men. 6.5/10
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby tuff_gong » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:52 pm

Across the Universe - 6.5/10. I liked how the songs fit together, but I did not like the way some of the songs were changed. Also, one of the characters named was Jojo, so I was waiting for Get Back the entire movie and it never came. So that was disappointing. But some of the visuals are sweet. Bono and Eddie Izzard's cameos are pretty funny.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby josebach » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:04 pm

tuff_gong wrote:Across the Universe - 6.5/10. I liked how the songs fit together, but I did not like the way some of the songs were changed. Also, one of the characters named was Jojo, so I was waiting for Get Back the entire movie and it never came. So that was disappointing. But some of the visuals are sweet. Bono and Eddie Izzard's cameos are pretty funny.

I've been looking forward to this movie for a long time and plan on seeing it this weekend. I'll be sure to post a review after I see it.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby statsman88 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:45 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
statsman88 wrote:Superbad-5.5/10

wtf? there wasnt anything about this movie that wasnt absolutely hilarious

I even said in my review that I'm not a fan of raunchy teen comedy, there was some funny stuff but overall it certainly wasn't something that I'd watch again
Last edited by statsman88 on Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby statsman88 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:47 pm

Old_Style wrote:I saw Requiem For A Dream last weekend with my stoner friends. I'm guessing it's one of those movies that you would better enjoy while stoned.
3/10

I really don't understand why stoners would love this movie. Sure its trippy, but if anything I would stay as far away from drugs as possible after watching this.
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:33 pm

I watched Good Luck Chuck last weekend. :-P

There were a few funny moments, but not even Jessica Alba in underwear can save the movie. The story is just plain stupid and Dane Cook...yikes. I was surprised to know that the movie was 18A, but completely understood why after seeing it. Save your money.

4/10

Has anyone watched Into the Wild or Eastern Promises yet?
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby CheeseBeger » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:31 pm

The Wiz
WHAT THE??? / 10

Yes that is Michael Jackson on the left as the scarecrow, and Diana Ross as Dorothy. It is the black version of the Wizard of Oz which takes place at Coney Island and NYC. Oh yeah and it is kind of a musical. My friends and I randomly saw this on HBO and couldn't stop watching simply due to Michael Jackson... I was confused, and scared :~(

Terrible movie.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk