Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby mweir145 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:19 pm

3:10 to Yuma: 8/10
I liked it, but I thought it could have been much better. Maybe it was because I went in with such high expectations that I was slightly disappointed, but I was it was good regardless. The movie didn't have enough depth in my opinion, and specifically, I never felt like I got to know the two main characters, Wade and Evans. Both Crowe and Bale put in very good performances in this one, though, and are the highlights of the film. If this is what wins Best Picture however, it will have most certainly been a down year for movies.

City of God: 9/10
I'd never seen this movie, but I heard very good things, and I can't say I was disappointed. Some great visuals, a very intriguing plot, and surprisingly good acting all combine to make this a 9 for me (and I don't give out many 9's).

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest: 10/10
I loved this movie (I don't believe I've ever given a 10 in the history of this thread). It's one of the better films I've ever seen, and instantly became one of my favourites (though I'll have to see it a few more times to make sure). It brings out so many different emotions throughout, and there are some great, great scenes in it. I'm disappointed I hadn't seen it earlier in my life so I would have had all those years to enjoy it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:22 pm

AussieDodger wrote:and Matt Damon was ( I can never see him in a film without thinking about Team America World Police MATT DAMON!)

Me too. :-b

The ending feels like the writer saying "how quickly can we get rid of all these characters and end the movie."
Although the ending was pleasantly shocking in some ways , I felt quite ripped off by it. It might grow on me later , but I'd have to watch it again.

So I give it a 7.7/10. If the ending matched the rest of the movie it would be 9.5. ;-D

I agree, the ending brought the movie down a bit for me as well.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:07 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
josebach wrote:I saw 3:10 to Yuma this weekend and really, really liked it. I think it could win Best Picture. Both the acting and story were awesome.

I'd give it an A- (which for me is awesome)

We have 114 pages of people ranking movies out of 10 and then you come in with your A-.

lmao... :-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby josebach » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:57 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
josebach wrote:I saw 3:10 to Yuma this weekend and really, really liked it. I think it could win Best Picture. Both the acting and story were awesome.

I'd give it an A- (which for me is awesome)

We have 114 pages of people ranking movies out of 10 and then you come in with your A-.

Didn't even think about it. My favorite site for movies is Yahoo and they use a letter grading system. Now that I think about it, I like the letter system better. To me there's a difference between "B-" movie and a "C+" movie. Now obviously, a B- movie would be an 8/10, but what should a C+ movie be? 7.5 is no good because that's a "C". How about "7.8"???? Meh...

Letter grades just seem more flexible and make more sense to me. If you have a hard time doing the conversion, though, I'll be happy to revert to numbers for ya! ;-)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:01 pm

mweir145 wrote:3:10 to Yuma: 8/10
The movie didn't have enough depth in my opinion, and specifically, I never felt like I got to know the two main characters, Wade and Evans. Both Crowe and Bale put in very good performances in this one, though, and are the highlights of the film. If this is what wins Best Picture however, it will have most certainly been a down year for movies.

I thought it was a very deep movie and I thought they did an awesome job of letting the viewers get to know the two main characters. Opinions vary, I guess. :-)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:46 pm

josebach wrote:
mweir145 wrote:3:10 to Yuma: 8/10
The movie didn't have enough depth in my opinion, and specifically, I never felt like I got to know the two main characters, Wade and Evans. Both Crowe and Bale put in very good performances in this one, though, and are the highlights of the film. If this is what wins Best Picture however, it will have most certainly been a down year for movies.

I thought it was a very deep movie and I thought they did an awesome job of letting the viewers get to know the two main characters. Opinions vary, I guess. :-)

It was a great entertaining action movie in my mind, but I can't say I found it that deep at all. If you ask me, they should have had a lot more of Bale and Crowe together. Their dialogue was the best part, and there simply wasn't that much of it (or as much as I wanted). The story was alright, but quality acting only got it so far for me. Of course, I was coming off watching City of God and Cuckoo's Nest before seeing this one, so experiencing a dropoff probably should have been expected. 8/10 is certainly a good rating from me, though. I'm pretty sure that's what I gave The Departed last year, and that ended up winning the Oscar in the end.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby statsman88 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:29 pm

For the last month I've been catching up on some sci-fi movies:

The City Of Lost Children-6/10
ehh, it was ok. I heard it was a great movie and comparable to Pan's Labyrinth. I thought Pan's was much better. There were a couple of scenes that were cool, but other than that I guess it just wasn't my cup o tea.

Primer-9.5/10
Wow, I loved this movie. If you are into any smart/time travel/plot twisting/very confusing movies, this is it. One of my new favs

The Abyss-8/10
This would have probably been in the 9 range if it weren't for the whole end part with the underwater alien deal, which IMO took away from the greatness of the movie. Almost all the movie takes place underwater and Is beautifully made.

Altered States-5.5/10
Its considered classic but I guess I don't get the genious of it. Very wierd, very 80's

Abre Los Ojos (open your eyes)-8.5/10
the original version (in spanish) of Vanilla Sky. Very good
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:34 pm

statsman88 wrote:Primer-9.5/10
Wow, I loved this movie. If you are into any smart/time travel/plot twisting/very confusing movies, this is it. One of my new favs

I wrote a review on it a while back. I thought it had some good qualities (unbelieveably intriguing) and bad qualities (plot holes), and in the end, I said, "...this is the best bad movie I'm ever going to recommend."

Definitely the most thought-provoking movie I've watched in a very, very long time. ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:03 am

Been awhile since I posted any reviews.

Superbad - 9/10. Everything you could want from a High School comedy that doesn't fall into the "Teen Comedy" genre. It reminded me of a newer version of Dazed and Confused.

3:10 To Yuma - 8/10. I really enjoyed this movie. Crowe and Bale were awesome in it and the story kept moving. I never felt like it got bogged down anywhere which is usually a problem for me in Westerns. Also, on a sidenote, anyone think that Crowe's 2nd in command was gay? My girlfriends mom brought up the theory after she saw the movie and I hadn't even thought about it until she said it. I could kind of see it though. He really seemed attached to Russell Crowe's character and even seemed slightly jealous in the saloon when Crowe is talking to the barmaid. Something to think about anyways.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:05 am

Almost forgot one.

Scream - 7/10. I don't know how I grew up in the 90's and never saw this movie until last night. I thought it was pretty good. It's your standard horror movie. I liked that it had the added layer of them almost knowing they were in a horror movie however and being able to talk about the cliches of the genre. That was pretty cool.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk