We need to exterminate all Lexus Christmas Commercials - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

We need to exterminate all Lexus Christmas Commercials

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:58 pm

Yoda wrote:The thing I hate about cars is how worthless they are. They are really not assets but more of a liability. Plus they depreciate rapidly, cost of maintenance/repairs, etc.

I was thinking about getting a new car but I will probably save my money for a few years, beat the crap out of mine then get a new one after that.

A new luxury car is, for all intents and purposes, a lousy investment.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:35 am

automobiles of any kind pretty much are the worst investments you can ever purchase...but i dont think anyone buys a car as an investment, other than the guys who rebuild the classic cars...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:36 am

Coppermine wrote:
Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:The spots are also, IMO, belittling to the majority of consumers. "Oh, you can't afford to buy your 7 kids bicycles, but look at these people buying each other cars!"

Curious question, but why is it the advertisers' fault if someone had 7 kids they cannot provide for? Only Wal-Mart, Target, and the Dollar stores should be advertising? :-?

Nah, of course it's not the advertisers fault, and if the ads work, then no wonder they run them. But I don't see Mercedes and BMW telling people to buy their spouse's luxury cars. It just insults my intelligence; even if I had the money, I wouldn't go around buying Lexus's as presents.

Lexus hasn't reached the height of Mercedes and BMW. That's why they advertise more. Without advertising, why would someone buy a Lexus over the other two?

According to Forbes, the best selling luxury cars in America in 2005 were as follows:

I didn't mean in sales. ;-) When people say luxury cars, Mercedes Benz and BMW come to mind a whole lot faster than Lexus. That's what I meant. They still have some catching up to do there.

Coppermine wrote:"The Worst Cars" of 2005. Do you own one of these?

Thankfully I don't. :-D

Coppermine wrote:My Mazda Protege kicks you other guys' cars asses.

I had one awhile back. Was a pretty decent car, but my Tiburon would smoke you though. :-b

acsguitar wrote:You don't want a car you want a jeep

I think I'd rather walk or take a bus or something. :-b

;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:40 am

maybe im partial since i am a lexus owner but i would definitely say that most people mention mercedes, bmw, and lexus all in the same breath, whether they all deserve to be or not is a different question. infiniti has been making their push as well to be placed in this category and i still definitely think acura is a full notch below.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:46 am

Snakes Gould wrote:maybe im partial since i am a lexus owner but i would definitely say that most people mention mercedes, bmw, and lexus all in the same breath, whether they all deserve to be or not is a different question. infiniti has been making their push as well to be placed in this category and i still definitely think acura is a full notch below.

Practically everyone I know only lists the big 2. Personally, I've always thought Infinity would be #3 on my list if I really had to list 3 luxury cars. It's nothing against Lexus, I'm just less familiar with them, very few people I know own one, and no one around me really ever talks about them. I know tons of people who own the other 3 though, so I'm just more familiar with them.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:29 am

mikhayl wrote:I'm just glad that the Christmas gods have spared me from the "Happy Hondadays" ad campaign so far.

Amen.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:00 am

Madison wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:maybe im partial since i am a lexus owner but i would definitely say that most people mention mercedes, bmw, and lexus all in the same breath, whether they all deserve to be or not is a different question. infiniti has been making their push as well to be placed in this category and i still definitely think acura is a full notch below.

Practically everyone I know only lists the big 2. Personally, I've always thought Infinity would be #3 on my list if I really had to list 3 luxury cars. It's nothing against Lexus, I'm just less familiar with them, very few people I know own one, and no one around me really ever talks about them. I know tons of people who own the other 3 though, so I'm just more familiar with them.

Lexus is pimp. Even the new Ford CEO drives one. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:18 am

Madison wrote:

doesnt that make them that much more prestigious?? the fact that you rarely see them and see the 3 series bmw's all over the place, makes them that much more elegant so to speak. you dont want to see everyone and their mother driving what you're driving.

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:38 am

Coppermine wrote:These commercials are asinine and insulting to the majority of middle-class Americans. Those, and diamond commercials telling me to spend three months salary on a rock and then proclaim my love for someone in the middle of a crowded public square. This all during a time when housing costs, gas prices and interest rates are up.

Am I hopeless if I intend to meet a woman (don't think the screen name has to do with anything except The Soprano's and the family's future Boss) who would laugh at an investment with such poor resale value?
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:47 am

Madison wrote: why not actually spend some solid money on someone you love? Not to mention that gold and diamonds actually increase (!) in value over time, not decrease as with most everything else people blow their money on.

Because they aren't solid investments. Gold has been down relative to a good amount of years of either increasing or holding steady (sorry for being general, I assume you will double check). And well you're quite wrong about diamonds increasing in value. Take a good look at the statistics or talk to an honest cutter. Diamonds are a poor investment in terms of $$$$$$. Gold might be OK, but Diamonds are horrid.

Yes I went to pre, grade, middle, high school and some college with a good friend who has become a professional diamond cutter.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk