Tis the Season for Target Chain Letters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Tis the Season for Target Chain Letters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tis the Season for Target Chain Letters

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:26 pm

I was at work this week and I have a co-worker who is quite religious. He may even be described as an evangelical. He's only in his early 20's though and for the most part intelligent. One morning, he received an e-mail forward describing Target as a business that does not support veterans (among other things) and that the readers should not shop there.

He said to me, "I got this forward about Target, but is it wrong that I just don't care?" I told that it wasn't wrong to not care, it was wrong to believe a single word of it. The letter is similar to this, as I'm sure you may have seen:

Fw: Target Corp.

by Dick Forrey of the Vietnam Veterans Association

Recently we asked the local TARGET store to be a proud sponsor of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall during our spring recognition event.

We received the following reply from the local TARGET management: "Veterans do not meet our area of giving. We only donate to the arts, social action groups, gay & lesbian causes, and education."

So I'm thinking, if the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall and veterans in general do not meet their donation criteria, then something is really wrong at this TARGET store. We were not asking for thousands of dollars, not even hundreds, just a small sponsorship for a memorial remembrance.

As a follow-up, I e-mailed the TARGET U.S. corporate headquarters and their response was the same. That's their national policy.

Then I looked into the company further. They will not allow the Marines to collect for 'Toys for Tots' at any of their stores. And during the recent Iraq deployment, they would not allow families of employees who were called up for active duty to continue their insurance coverage while they were on military service. Then as I dig further, TARGET is a French-owned corporation.

Now, I'm thinking again. If TARGET can not support American Veterans, then why should I and my family support their stores by spending our hard earned American dollars and to have their profits sent to France. Without the American Vets, where would France be today?

Feel free to pass this along to whomever you want.

Sincerely,
Dick Forrey
Veterans helping Veterans

The most ridiculous part is that this isn't even the original Dick Forrey letter, which he has since apologized for. When I told my co-worker that the chain letter is a myth, he mentioned that they support gay & lesbian causes and that they're French owned. That's when I did some digging can pretty much rebuked everything in the letter (via http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp).

He researched it himself and was a bit annoyed and angry that he had received this along with many other people. When I suggested that he reply to all with the facts, he hesitated... turns out, it was sent by his minister, to the entire congregation.

There's no point, but I was wondering if anyone here received chain mail like this, and if so, you really should respond to everyone who is too lazy or naive to check it out themselves.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:50 pm

Yeah I get these fake chain letters all the time. People love this stuff for whatever reason so much that they put aside their intelligence. I work with software engineers that are incredibly intelligent and yet these things are constantly passed around.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:19 pm

The problem is that people have no problem forwarding stuff without checking it out. A couple of years ago, I started Snopesing everything like this that came my way. If it was fake, I sent a reply to everyone on the e-mail letting them know it with the Snopes link. After a while, people stopped sending me stuff without first checking Snopes/TruthOrFiction first.

One person at a time... ;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:46 pm

Coppermine was telling me about this letter from a Nigerian Prince he received I think its real but he doesn't
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:58 pm

acsguitar wrote:Coppermine was telling me about this letter from a Nigerian Prince he received I think its real but he doesn't

you should definitely send him your ps3.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:41 pm

Habbuu Greannt (mailto:iamnigerianprince@gmail.com) wrote:Greetings to you,

My name is Haabuu Greaant, I am great prince of Nigeria. Due to waring in my country LSD 24" boxes are not avaialble. I must play command and conquor on my electric toaster box as that is how my country trains for armed tests.. I wish to make you a deal that is not refusable like movie star say. I give you 10,0000 Nigerian Rocks Moneies which is quale to 2000000 millions or your United America money. I will send it to you in check from my personal savings at the Elephant Bank of Nigeria. Please allow 2 months for check to properly clear. I guareentee it will clear but please send my 199999999 million of your dollars back in cash in an envelope labeled gift so that customs does not charge me tariff. I would be very happy if you would do this as it will help nigeria overcome its horrible atrocities that we have suffered due to attacking hyenas. Iff you accept my deal I will be eternally grateful and will send you one of my virginal daughters for you to make sex with. She is very sexy in the breast area and only has very few piercings. Please also ship the 24" box in very think wrap of leaves and dung to make sure it not broken or I wil have to requests returns from your accounts.

Thank you american hero,

Habbuu Greannt
Nigerian Prince
14020 Nigeria Road
Nigeria, Afrika 222229920123930
(Next to the elephant)
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:46 pm

Coppermine wrote:

My name is Haabuu Greaant, I am great prince of Nigeria. Due to waring in my country LSD 24" boxes are not avaialble. I must play command and conquor on my electric toaster box as that is how my country trains for armed tests.. I wish to make you a deal that is not refusable like movie star say. I give you 10,0000 Nigerian Rocks Moneies which is quale to 2000000 millions or your United America money. I will send it to you in check from my personal savings at the Elephant Bank of Nigeria. Please allow 2 months for check to properly clear. I guareentee it will clear but please send my 199999999 million of your dollars back in cash in an envelope labeled gift so that customs does not charge me tariff. I would be very happy if you would do this as it will help nigeria overcome its horrible atrocities that we have suffered due to attacking hyenas. Iff you accept my deal I will be eternally grateful and will send you one of my virginal daughters for you to make sex with. She is very sexy in the breast area and only has very few piercings. Please also ship the 24" box in very think wrap of leaves and dung to make sure it not broken or I wil have to requests returns from your accounts.

Thank you american hero,

Habbuu Greannt
Nigerian Prince
14020 Nigeria Road
(Next to the elephant)

Definitly real ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:18 pm

The letter does seem fake, but the fact is that Gwyneth Paltrow shops at Target.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 675)

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:22 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Thank you american hero,

Habbuu Greannt
Nigerian Prince
14020 Nigeria Road
(Next to the elephant)

Definitly real ;-D

Habbuu's LSD television, Timothy Leary approved, is on its way. ;-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:40 am

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Thank you american hero,

Habbuu Greannt
Nigerian Prince
14020 Nigeria Road
(Next to the elephant)

Definitly real ;-D

Habbuu's LSD television, Timothy Leary approved, is on its way. ;-D

Sweet!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero