Shock & Awe - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Shock & Awe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CadensDad » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:56 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm not going to open the link since my kid's walking around and I don't want him to see what you're describing, but I'll take your word for it that it's pretty disturbing. My wife has worked for some animal testing businesses and has told me some pretty alarming things. We both agree that testing products on animals is necessary, but not to the extent that some of these companies choose to do it. Febreze for instance. They'd shave a dog, then completely submerge it in a tub of Febreze. Why would you need to test what it would be like to be in a tub of Febreze? Ridiculous. That dog lived and was adopted by a family, but this family cannot have Febreze in the house and cannot go over to any house that has used Febreze. The dog will literally go into shock and flip out.

I'm all for hunting and believe animals were put here for us to use as needed, but some people enjoy the degradation (sp?) of a lesser species, and those people should be checked into a mental ward.


Hunting for food or sport? I'm all for hunting for food. If your going to eat the deer meat or give it to someone who will I'm all for it. But if your just going to mount it and leave the meat thats almost as bad.
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:56 pm

CadensDad wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm not going to open the link since my kid's walking around and I don't want him to see what you're describing, but I'll take your word for it that it's pretty disturbing. My wife has worked for some animal testing businesses and has told me some pretty alarming things. We both agree that testing products on animals is necessary, but not to the extent that some of these companies choose to do it. Febreze for instance. They'd shave a dog, then completely submerge it in a tub of Febreze. Why would you need to test what it would be like to be in a tub of Febreze? Ridiculous. That dog lived and was adopted by a family, but this family cannot have Febreze in the house and cannot go over to any house that has used Febreze. The dog will literally go into shock and flip out.

I'm all for hunting and believe animals were put here for us to use as needed, but some people enjoy the degradation (sp?) of a lesser species, and those people should be checked into a mental ward.


Hunting for food or sport? I'm all for hunting for food. If your going to eat the deer meat or give it to someone who will I'm all for it. But if your just going to mount it and leave the meat thats almost as bad.


Right. You eat it or sell it to someone who will. Around here, if you're not going to eat the deer you can donate to a homeless shelter or another charity. Pretty cool deal.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:35 am

I opened that link, signed up too btw that takes about 20 seconds in case anyone was wondering, and I couldn't watch past 40 seconds or so. My stomach is too weak for that. You don't really realize it when people talk about it, but when you actually see something like that, it's pretty disgusting.. :-o
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8777
(Past Year: 388)
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:43 am

i dont even want to pen the link...ill pass and stick to the racks in the hottest chick ever thread.. :-/
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Postby CadensDad » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:39 am

sportsguy138 wrote:I opened that link, signed up too btw that takes about 20 seconds in case anyone was wondering, and I couldn't watch past 40 seconds or so. My stomach is too weak for that. You don't really realize it when people talk about it, but when you actually see something like that, it's pretty disgusting.. :-o



I lasted a bit longer, (more so since i've skinned deer before and was kinda intrested in the methods used for live animal-vs- dead) But when I got to the spot of the completely skinned dog that was sitting there looking at it's own body and it feel over dead and you could literally see it's heart I had to stop. WAYYYYYY more disgusting and it was completely horrible.
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby willy-t » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:45 am

I'm not opening this vid as I'm at work, but it sounds pretty brutal. I don't want to open a can of worms because I am a meat eater and I'm in no position to be principled, but I think vegetarians have a sound rationale really, animals are just a less intellegent species than us (depending on whether you are a creationist or a darwenist) and it could be argued it's wrong to kill them for any reason.

Still, thats a different debate to this, what goes on in some parts of the world is deplorable, cosmetic animal testing, battery farming, fur trade, inhumane slaughtering, dancing bears etc etc etc.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 681
Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:13 am

willy-t wrote:I'm not opening this vid as I'm at work, but it sounds pretty brutal. I don't want to open a can of worms because I am a meat eater and I'm in no position to be principled, but I think vegetarians have a sound rationale really, animals are just a less intellegent species than us (depending on whether you are a creationist or a darwenist) and it could be argued it's wrong to kill them for any reason.

Still, thats a different debate to this, what goes on in some parts of the world is deplorable, cosmetic animal testing, battery farming, fur trade, inhumane slaughtering, dancing bears etc etc etc.


With this rationale, being just another species, then it would be the same principle as it is in the wild. When a lion kills a wildebeest or a shark eats a seal. It's a food chain and we're at the top.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby Coppermine » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:23 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
willy-t wrote:I'm not opening this vid as I'm at work, but it sounds pretty brutal. I don't want to open a can of worms because I am a meat eater and I'm in no position to be principled, but I think vegetarians have a sound rationale really, animals are just a less intellegent species than us (depending on whether you are a creationist or a darwenist) and it could be argued it's wrong to kill them for any reason.

Still, thats a different debate to this, what goes on in some parts of the world is deplorable, cosmetic animal testing, battery farming, fur trade, inhumane slaughtering, dancing bears etc etc etc.


With this rationale, being just another species, then it would be the same principle as it is in the wild. When a lion kills a wildebeest or a shark eats a seal. It's a food chain and we're at the top.


That rationale doesn't really work though; no one is going to eat those racoons as they're not being killed for our survival. Which is unique to us, let alone our propensity to kill for sport or profit. I guess that advanced thinking alone could put us in another category altogether, but to compare that video to a lion killing a wildebeast really undermines the biological necessity for a food chain.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:45 am

Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
willy-t wrote:I'm not opening this vid as I'm at work, but it sounds pretty brutal. I don't want to open a can of worms because I am a meat eater and I'm in no position to be principled, but I think vegetarians have a sound rationale really, animals are just a less intellegent species than us (depending on whether you are a creationist or a darwenist) and it could be argued it's wrong to kill them for any reason.

Still, thats a different debate to this, what goes on in some parts of the world is deplorable, cosmetic animal testing, battery farming, fur trade, inhumane slaughtering, dancing bears etc etc etc.


With this rationale, being just another species, then it would be the same principle as it is in the wild. When a lion kills a wildebeest or a shark eats a seal. It's a food chain and we're at the top.


That rationale doesn't really work though; no one is going to eat those racoons as they're not being killed for our survival. Which is unique to us, let alone our propensity to kill for sport or profit. I guess that advanced thinking alone could put us in another category altogether, but to compare that video to a lion killing a wildebeast really undermines the biological necessity for a food chain.


I haven't seen the video. I've resisted opening it to this point. I was referring to the bolded part of willy's post and the way I interpreted it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby Coppermine » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:59 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
willy-t wrote:I'm not opening this vid as I'm at work, but it sounds pretty brutal. I don't want to open a can of worms because I am a meat eater and I'm in no position to be principled, but I think vegetarians have a sound rationale really, animals are just a less intellegent species than us (depending on whether you are a creationist or a darwenist) and it could be argued it's wrong to kill them for any reason.

Still, thats a different debate to this, what goes on in some parts of the world is deplorable, cosmetic animal testing, battery farming, fur trade, inhumane slaughtering, dancing bears etc etc etc.


With this rationale, being just another species, then it would be the same principle as it is in the wild. When a lion kills a wildebeest or a shark eats a seal. It's a food chain and we're at the top.


That rationale doesn't really work though; no one is going to eat those racoons as they're not being killed for our survival. Which is unique to us, let alone our propensity to kill for sport or profit. I guess that advanced thinking alone could put us in another category altogether, but to compare that video to a lion killing a wildebeast really undermines the biological necessity for a food chain.


I haven't seen the video. I've resisted opening it to this point. I was referring to the bolded part of willy's post and the way I interpreted it.


What I don't understand about the bolded portion of the text is that he infers that whether or not you believe animals are less intelligent than humans is somehow based on whether you're a creationist, or "darwinist"[sic - should be evolutionist probably]. I think that an animals intelligence is one of the few things those two groups may agree on... we're certainly a superior species in every respect. Whether you believe we evolved from lesser species or if we were all created at the same time doesn't really affect, in my opinion, how one would perceive an animal's intellect.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact