Cubs get Marquis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs get Marquis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Cow » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:58 am

If the Cubs are going to spend money thats fine, but spend it wisely ge tmore bang for your buck. Instead of wasting money on Lilly and Marquis, throw that money at Zito. Lilly and Marquis combined make about 17 mil per year throw it at Zito, you may have to kick in a few more mil, but obviously the Cubs are printing money. Then let Guzman and Marshall batle it out for the #5 spot.. I am not saying that Zito is great, but he is good a solid 2nd or 3rd SP IMO. I just don't get why teams are throwing such big contracts at such mediocre players. Was the new T.V. contract this sweet? Teams just seem to have so much more money this year.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Strasil42 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:15 am

decoy562 wrote:
dcskater619 wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
sportsaddict wrote: I don't think he's even in the same neighborhood as those guys. I think he's a mediocre pitcher with potential to be an average pitcher.[/b]
A mediocre pitcher is the exact neighborhood for Lilly, Meche, Eaton and Marquis.

Marquis: 28 years old, 910 career innings, 4.55 ERA, 1.43 WHIP
Lily: 30 years old, 936 career innings, 4.60 ERA, 1.38 WHIP
Meche: 28 years old, 815 career innings, 4.65 ERA, 1.44 WHIP
Eaton: 29 years old, 861 career innings, 4.40 ERA, 1.36 WHIP

nice ...

So this brings the Cubs spending spree up to what, 250 million this offseason? This is funny stuff. They still won't win the division or make the playoffs, but this is funny, funny stuff ..

Go Cubbies Go .. ;-D

coming from a padres fan.. LMFAO! good luck with that one buddy! whos your leadoff hitter again? termell sledge? jose cruz jr? hahahahahah.. u will be lucky if one person on the padres hits 20 homeruns this year

Padres 2006 88-74 Playoffs
Padres 2005 82-80 Playoffs

Cubs 2006 66-96 Definitely No Playoffs
Cubs 2005 79-83 No Playoffs

Hmmm....

:-) :-)
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

I think this was quite the bargain.

And I think ya'll are drinking some crazy water if you think Marshall's going to amount to anything. He'll stick around because he uses his left hand to throw the ball, and he's tall, but IMO he's one of the most overrated pitchers around after watching a few of his games.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:11 am

Zito is God wrote:
I remember when Marquis was the centerpiece in the Drew deal when he was the Braves' best prospect. He had the stuff to be a great #2 and then his attitude got in the way.

and, FWIW, a patient manager like Lou Pinella in a low pressure environment like the Cubs is just the sort of guy to work through Marquis' attitude and get him to see the true potential in his slider!! LOL...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Zito is God » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:35 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:I think this was quite the bargain.

And I think ya'll are drinking some crazy water if you think Marshall's going to amount to anything. He'll stick around because he uses his left hand to throw the ball, and he's tall, but IMO he's one of the most overrated pitchers around after watching a few of his games.

Do you know what the word "overrated" means? Marshall was never overrated by anyone. You van't be overrated when no one is rating you highly to begin with.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Cow » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:03 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:I think this was quite the bargain.

Lets put it this way who would you rather the Cubs have signed?

Zito or

Lilly and Marquis?????

Now if you don't like Marshall there is still Guzman. If you don't like either of those the Cubs could sign someone else or deal for a SP.

I will take the quality over the quantity in this instance, Zito easilly.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:03 pm

It's like the two for one fantasy deals that are all over the 'Trade' forum. No owner in their right mind would swap Zito for Lilly and Marquis, even in H2H when Marquis is facing the Cubs tomorrow.

In MLB terms, add the money that Lilly and Marquis are already guaranteed and I'm sure that the Cubs could have at least gotten Zito to read their 'private messages'.

If they'd made a play for him, they could have had one A SP and one rotating band of Marshall/ Guzman/ et al on the bus from Iowa to fill out the rotation and had a much stronger lineup than Lilly/ Marquis give them.

At least if they'd signed Zito and he tanked, get rid of him after a year and blame the park/ clubhouse/ etc. for his bad season and get something in return. If Marquis and Lilly tank they will be worth exactly squat in return, as their contracts will be like bowling balls around their necks. Zito can at least bust out the Cy Young, go 'goat, curse, mumble mumble' and still go over to the Yankees or Red Sox after a year in exchange for SOMETHING of value.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby dcskater619 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:53 pm

Zito is God wrote:
wrveres wrote:
dcskater619 wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
sportsaddict wrote: I don't think he's even in the same neighborhood as those guys. I think he's a mediocre pitcher with potential to be an average pitcher.[/b]
A mediocre pitcher is the exact neighborhood for Lilly, Meche, Eaton and Marquis.

Marquis: 28 years old, 910 career innings, 4.55 ERA, 1.43 WHIP
Lily: 30 years old, 936 career innings, 4.60 ERA, 1.38 WHIP
Meche: 28 years old, 815 career innings, 4.65 ERA, 1.44 WHIP
Eaton: 29 years old, 861 career innings, 4.40 ERA, 1.36 WHIP

nice ...

So this brings the Cubs spending spree up to what, 250 million this offseason? This is funny stuff. They still won't win the division or make the playoffs, but this is funny, funny stuff ..

Go Cubbies Go .. ;-D

coming from a padres fan.. LMFAO! good luck with that one buddy! whos your leadoff hitter again? termell sledge? jose cruz jr? hahahahahah.. u will be lucky if one person on the padres hits 20 homeruns this year

I would be pretty pissed right now if my Padres morgaged their immed. future with that garbage the Cubs are planning on putting out there next season.

and as a Cubs fan, aren't you even slighlty pissed that they didn't pull out this check book two years ago , when they had a legit chance ?? I would be

Nice arguement, as always wrveres.

This signing was simply unnecessary. While (assuming the 3/20 figuire is accurate) the money wasn't high, the "talent" Marquis brings to the Cubs simply wasn't needed. His 6+ ERA from last season could have been obtained by pretty much any C+ or higher prospect in the Cubs system. My fav Cubs prospect by far is Mark Pawelek and while I understand he needs seasoning and is likely one year away I would have much rather seen him put up that ERA then Marquis.

I remember when Marquis was the centerpiece in the Drew deal when he was the Braves' best prospect. He had the stuff to be a great #2 and then his attitude got in the way. He fell into mediocrity and thats exactly what the Cubs got. I will tell you honestly that I believe Marshall could have put up the exact same stats Marquis will in the next year. The Cubs have now tied up a ton of money on unnecessary player for years and thus their future looks quite poor.

Just like in the Ted Lilly thread, you keep making everyone think you have never watched baseball and have never studied stats. The Padres have made the playoffs the last two years as far as I know, the Cubs didn't. Adrian Gonzalez hit 24 HRs as far as I remember in his first full year in the majors for the Padres so your whole 20 HR arguement is incorrect. Once again I urge you to look at stats before posting nonsense like in the Lilly thread (although that thread was quite hilarious...)

yeah OK "zito is god".. u wanna know stats? u wanna know something hilarious? since 2004, marquis has won more games then ur always healthy "god" barry zito.. :-o ;-)
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Zito is God » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:12 pm

yeah OK "zito is god".. u wanna know stats? u wanna know something hilarious? since 2004, marquis has won more games then ur always healthy "god" barry zito..

First off, I like how you ignored all the points that I stated that made you completely wrong.

Second off, I seriously think you never watch baseball. First Lilly and now Marquis is better then Zito?! You conviniently picked 2004 to start from instead of career where Zito blows Marquis away in wins (among all other categories). But ok, I'll bite:

Since 2004 Zito has head his ERA decline every single year. Marquis has had a major spike each year. Wins don't matter when STL puts up 6 runs a game to OAK's 2. Run support is key here, the fact that Zito has 41 in that span while Marquis only managed a mere 42 with the significantly better offense is a joke.

The points you have made in both threads are quite poor, at best IMO. Seems like the other posters agree as well btw.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:24 pm

Jason Marquis: Strictly worse than Zito in every possible way...

...with the exact same amount of "luck" over the last three years:

Anyone who thinks otherwise must be a Cubs fan, because only their fans can sustain denial at the levels required for that belief.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers