Cubs get Marquis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs get Marquis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dcskater619 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:46 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
dcskater619 wrote:as long as rothschild gets him to use his sinker, he should be a good signing for us as our 4th or 5th starter.

i am not sure that having a different pitching coach would make a difference. neither duncan nor mazzone could get through to him. i agree with acid rock on this one...the cubs could throw a couple minor leaguers out there and get similar results.

as someone said earlier, he has a good sinker that he never uses.. if rothschild gets him to use it, he could be a good fit in wrigley
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:18 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:
suppasonic wrote:Soooo.....

CZam
Prior
Marquis
Lilly
Hill/Wood?

More like
CZam
Lilly
Marquis
Hill
Prior/Miller (you have to assume that one of them is going to be on the DL)

it's carlos and hill 1-2, no doubt.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:35 pm

dcskater619 wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:
dcskater619 wrote:as long as rothschild gets him to use his sinker, he should be a good signing for us as our 4th or 5th starter.

i am not sure that having a different pitching coach would make a difference. neither duncan nor mazzone could get through to him. i agree with acid rock on this one...the cubs could throw a couple minor leaguers out there and get similar results.

as someone said earlier, he has a good sinker that he never uses.. if rothschild gets him to use it, he could be a good fit in wrigley

throwing the sinker isnt a new idea. duncan begged him to throw it last year. the cardinals pitching philosophy is to induce as many grounders as possible. marquis would frequently shake it off or throw it well out of the zone.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:58 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
dcskater619 wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:

throwing the sinker isnt a new idea. duncan begged him to throw it last year. the cardinals pitching philosophy is to induce as many grounders as possible. marquis would frequently shake it off or throw it well out of the zone.

Or better yet he over throws it and ends up a souvenier.

Much like the L-Gon deal, I don't think it is a bad deal given the market and Marquis past. I just don't see why the Cubs would make it.
Last edited by Pogotheostrich on Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby wrveres » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:59 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
sportsaddict wrote: I don't think he's even in the same neighborhood as those guys. I think he's a mediocre pitcher with potential to be an average pitcher.[/b]
A mediocre pitcher is the exact neighborhood for Lilly, Meche, Eaton and Marquis.

Marquis: 28 years old, 910 career innings, 4.55 ERA, 1.43 WHIP
Lily: 30 years old, 936 career innings, 4.60 ERA, 1.38 WHIP
Meche: 28 years old, 815 career innings, 4.65 ERA, 1.44 WHIP
Eaton: 29 years old, 861 career innings, 4.40 ERA, 1.36 WHIP

nice ...

So this brings the Cubs spending spree up to what, 250 million this offseason? This is funny stuff. They still won't win the division or make the playoffs, but this is funny, funny stuff ..

Go Cubbies Go .. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby dcskater619 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:07 pm

wrveres wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
sportsaddict wrote: I don't think he's even in the same neighborhood as those guys. I think he's a mediocre pitcher with potential to be an average pitcher.[/b]
A mediocre pitcher is the exact neighborhood for Lilly, Meche, Eaton and Marquis.

nice ...

So this brings the Cubs spending spree up to what, 250 million this offseason? This is funny stuff. They still won't win the division or make the playoffs, but this is funny, funny stuff ..

Go Cubbies Go .. ;-D

coming from a padres fan.. LMFAO! good luck with that one buddy! whos your leadoff hitter again? termell sledge? jose cruz jr? hahahahahah.. u will be lucky if one person on the padres hits 20 homeruns this year
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby wrveres » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:13 pm

dcskater619 wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

nice ...

Go Cubbies Go .. ;-D

coming from a padres fan.. LMFAO! good luck with that one buddy! whos your leadoff hitter again? termell sledge? jose cruz jr? hahahahahah.. u will be lucky if one person on the padres hits 20 homeruns this year

I would be pretty pissed right now if my Padres morgaged their immed. future with that garbage the Cubs are planning on putting out there next season.

and as a Cubs fan, aren't you even slighlty pissed that they didn't pull out this check book two years ago , when they had a legit chance ?? I would be
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby decoy562 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:15 pm

dcskater619 wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

nice ...

Go Cubbies Go .. ;-D

Padres 2006 88-74 Playoffs
Padres 2005 82-80 Playoffs

Cubs 2006 66-96 Definitely No Playoffs
Cubs 2005 79-83 No Playoffs

Hmmm....
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:21 pm

First... Woo hoo! He's gone! Image

Second... If there was ever an affirmation that the Cubs like losing, it was this move.

Third... Since they're taking Cardinal losers, do you think the Cubs would be interested in Encarnacion? O:-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Zito is God » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:40 pm

wrveres wrote:
dcskater619 wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

nice ...

Go Cubbies Go .. ;-D

I would be pretty pissed right now if my Padres morgaged their immed. future with that garbage the Cubs are planning on putting out there next season.

and as a Cubs fan, aren't you even slighlty pissed that they didn't pull out this check book two years ago , when they had a legit chance ?? I would be

Nice arguement, as always wrveres.

This signing was simply unnecessary. While (assuming the 3/20 figuire is accurate) the money wasn't high, the "talent" Marquis brings to the Cubs simply wasn't needed. His 6+ ERA from last season could have been obtained by pretty much any C+ or higher prospect in the Cubs system. My fav Cubs prospect by far is Mark Pawelek and while I understand he needs seasoning and is likely one year away I would have much rather seen him put up that ERA then Marquis.

I remember when Marquis was the centerpiece in the Drew deal when he was the Braves' best prospect. He had the stuff to be a great #2 and then his attitude got in the way. He fell into mediocrity and thats exactly what the Cubs got. I will tell you honestly that I believe Marshall could have put up the exact same stats Marquis will in the next year. The Cubs have now tied up a ton of money on unnecessary player for years and thus their future looks quite poor.

Just like in the Ted Lilly thread, you keep making everyone think you have never watched baseball and have never studied stats. The Padres have made the playoffs the last two years as far as I know, the Cubs didn't. Adrian Gonzalez hit 24 HRs as far as I remember in his first full year in the majors for the Padres so your whole 20 HR arguement is incorrect. Once again I urge you to look at stats before posting nonsense like in the Lilly thread (although that thread was quite hilarious...)

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers