Cubs get Marquis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs get Marquis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:16 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:He needed a change of scenery but I don't think the Cubs are a good match. Reports vary on the actually amount for the 3 years. Some have $28 million and some have $20 million.

I would be very surprised if the guaranteed amount is $28. $20 guaranteed with some significant incentives up to $28 seems logical to me though.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:17 pm

sportsaddict wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:IMO Marquis is in the same neighborhood as Lily, Meche and Eaton so if it is only $20 million for 3 years that would surprise me. He's got a live arm and an injury free past. The problem is he is stubborn and thinks he can blow it by hitters and it ends up in the stands.

Right on with the stubborn part. He doesn't listen to coaches, he has a great sinker but doesn't use it.

I think he'll find out soon enough that he's going to have to use it in a place like Wrigley...I hope.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:21 pm

RugbyD wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:I'm sure that having his bat on the bench may add some value though...

I agree. I estimate it to be in the range of $3.00-$7.48

LOL...this signing just cracks me up.

"Jeez, Meche is gone, what are we going to do w/ the 50 million we were going to throw at him?"

*GM takes some medication, just for his heart, he's not crazy or anything*

"I know, lets get that guy Marquis, he was on the Cards so he KNOWS how to win...he'll be a perfect fit. And he can HIT!!"
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby dcskater619 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:26 pm

3 years/20 mill is the deal.. not bad for a guy who was 15-7 with a 3.70 era just 2 years ago.. we desperately needed a guy who has no injury past and can pitch 200 innings. rothschild liked what he saw when he watched Marquis work out so maybe he can turn him back to 05 form?
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:29 pm

Better than throwing 11 million at Meche for 5 years. 6 million per year is a solid deal considering what mediocre pitching is getting in this market.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:31 pm

sportsaddict wrote: I don't think he's even in the same neighborhood as those guys. I think he's a mediocre pitcher with potential to be an average pitcher.[/b]
A mediocre pitcher is the exact neighborhood for Lilly, Meche, Eaton and Marquis.

Marquis: 28 years old, 910 career innings, 4.55 ERA, 1.43 WHIP
Lily: 30 years old, 936 career innings, 4.60 ERA, 1.38 WHIP
Meche: 28 years old, 815 career innings, 4.65 ERA, 1.44 WHIP
Eaton: 29 years old, 861 career innings, 4.40 ERA, 1.36 WHIP
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby dcskater619 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:34 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
sportsaddict wrote: I don't think he's even in the same neighborhood as those guys. I think he's a mediocre pitcher with potential to be an average pitcher.[/b]
A mediocre pitcher is the exact neighborhood for Lilly, Meche, Eaton and Marquis.

Marquis: 28 years old, 910 career innings, 4.55 ERA, 1.43 WHIP
Lily: 30 years old, 936 career innings, 4.60 ERA, 1.38 WHIP
Meche: 28 years old, 815 career innings, 4.65 ERA, 1.44 WHIP
Eaton: 29 years old, 861 career innings, 4.40 ERA, 1.36 WHIP

nice argument.. marquis just really got roughed up the 2nd half of last year, which made his numbers as bad as they were. as long as rothschild gets him to use his sinker, he should be a good signing for us as our 4th or 5th starter.
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:58 pm

While it is "the market", the Cubs have a heap of young mediocre arms in the minors who they could trot out for a 5-8 ERA for quite a bit less than what they are tossing around. Marshall was lights out for a couple of months last year, Guzman, Hill, etc. Sure those guys 'need seasoning' but I am not sure that the already seasoned Marquis is going to deliver a lot more value at about twenty times the price.

I do like the argument about the slider though. Something to watch and keep one's fingers crossed about. Plus, he will be able to act like he's stealing LaRussa's signs in the dugout. :-? ;-D :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby dcskater619 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:21 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:While it is "the market", the Cubs have a heap of young mediocre arms in the minors who they could trot out for a 5-8 ERA for quite a bit less than what they are tossing around. Marshall was lights out for a couple of months last year, Guzman, Hill, etc. Sure those guys 'need seasoning' but I am not sure that the already seasoned Marquis is going to deliver a lot more value at about twenty times the price.

I do like the argument about the slider though. Something to watch and keep one's fingers crossed about. Plus, he will be able to act like he's stealing LaRussa's signs in the dugout. :-? ;-D :-D

I agree that Marshall coulda been the guy, but after one bad game he seemed to blow up and it affected the rest of his season. Marquis is a proven 200IP pitcher that had an era under 4 just 2 years ago and hes still only 28.. They liked what they saw in work outs and feel he has his best seasons ahead of him. Guzman still needs some work in the minors before they bring him up. No reason to bring him up early and make him lose all of his confidence with a poor season. Not to mention, we already have one rookie in the rotation (if Hill still qualifies)..
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:40 pm

dcskater619 wrote:as long as rothschild gets him to use his sinker, he should be a good signing for us as our 4th or 5th starter.

i am not sure that having a different pitching coach would make a difference. neither duncan nor mazzone could get through to him. i agree with acid rock on this one...the cubs could throw a couple minor leaguers out there and get similar results.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers