Fantasy Publications & Software '07 (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Publications & Software '07 (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dmendro » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:01 pm

Can we get back on topic please? Anyone have any luck finding software that will let you conduct your own ONLINE auction draft yet? Any insiders here that know what Yahoo and Sprtosline's new features will be this year?
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:02 pm

swyck wrote:
bigwords wrote:As a copyright expert by trade, let me comment on this.

There is nothing in copyright law that prevents someone from posting someone else's projected stat predictions. I doubt BP has even attempted to copyright this. You wouldn't be able to post an article from BP, or post any commentary that BP has done on their stats, but as for the stats themselves, it's not copyrightable.

After all, the reason you can play fantasy baseball in the first place is that no one "owns" these stats. Last year, Major League Baseball sued CBC Distribution and Marketing Inc., arguing that the identities and stats of its players were protected. U.S. District Court Judge Mary Ann Medler in St. Louis in a 49-page summary judgment ruled against MLB's position. She wrote, "The names and playing records of major league baseball players as used in CBC's fantasy games are not copyrightable."

If accrued stats are not copyrightable, so too are projected stats. Not to mention, why would BP sue when much of their business depends on the non-copyrightable theory of stats? If BP sued, they would open themselves up to charges of hypocrisy and a claim of copyright abuse from MLB itself.

There may be other reasons to not post BP's projections, but copyright law is not one of them. Trust me.

I'd say they're not really the same as stats. Wouldn't this be similar to a site that offers stock market advice? Could I just tell everybody what their picks are? Could I run a competing web site telling everybody what popular portfolios are from those sites?

Hmmm, can I create a web site offering others projections at a quarter the price?

The little info he posted is fine. Last year when had a very long thread about Ryan Howard's 90th percentile PECOTA projection (which as actually pretty close to what he produced).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:13 pm

dmendro wrote:Can we get back on topic please? Anyone have any luck finding software that will let you conduct your own ONLINE auction draft yet? Any insiders here that know what Yahoo and Sprtosline's new features will be this year?

The mods actually stuck this topic in here.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:15 pm

Just quickly glanced at Jon Sickles blog.

Have gave votto a grade of B+, so he should be considered a very good prospect. Will he achieve those numbers? I don't think so, but it is not like he is an unknown name.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Copyright Issues on Stats

Postby bigwords » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:33 pm

It appears that the PECOTA thread was taken down. But I wanted to repeat my last comment, for it seems as though there are some who mistakingly believe that trouble lurks for those who post someone else's stat projections/predictions. As a copyright expert by trade, I can say this is utter nonsense.

There is nothing in copyright law that prevents someone from posting someone else's projected stat predictions. I doubt BP has even attempted to copyright this. You wouldn't be able to post an article from BP, or post any commentary that BP has done on their stats, but as for the stats themselves, it's not copyrightable.

After all, the reason you can play fantasy baseball in the first place is that no one "owns" these stats. Last year, Major League Baseball sued CBC Distribution and Marketing Inc., arguing that the identities and stats of its players were protected. U.S. District Court Judge Mary Ann Medler in St. Louis in a 49-page summary judgment ruled against MLB's position. She wrote, "The names and playing records of major league baseball players as used in CBC's fantasy games are not copyrightable."

If accrued stats are not copyrightable, so too are projected stats. Not to mention, why would BP sue when much of their business depends on the non-copyrightable theory of stats? If BP sued, they would open themselves up to charges of hypocrisy and a claim of copyright abuse from MLB itself.

There may be other reasons to not post BP's projections, but copyright law is not one of them. Trust me.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:59 pm

aren't the projections the result of a proprietary model? if their projections should not be commercially protected in some way, then you are saying that their projection model has no value, which seems like a very tough argument to make.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby thedude » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:05 pm

From the BP website

Intellectual Property Notices

Baseball Prospectus and its logo are registered trademarks of Prospectus Entertainment Ventures, LLC. http://www.baseballprospectus.com contains proprietary, original material that is protected by U.S. copyright and international treaties. PEV retains all intellectual property rights with respect to such proprietary, original material. PEV will pursue legal action against anyone who misappropriates its name or content for commercial use. This notice constitutes fair warning.

Copyrights and other proprietary rights on the material on the web site may also be held by persons and entities other than PEV. PEV expressly prohibits the copying of any of the protected materials on its web site except for the purpose of fair use as defined in the copyright laws and as described below.

Fair Use is Permitted

Fair use of copyrighted material includes the use of protected materials for noncommercial purposes such as research, peer review, commentary and news reporting. Unless otherwise noted, persons and subscribers who wish to download or print PEV's text and image files for such uses may do so without PEV's express permission. Users must cite the author and source of this material as they would material from any printed work. By downloading, printing, or otherwise using such text and image files, users agree that they will limit their use of such information to fair use, and will not violate PEV's or any other party's proprietary rights.

Restrictions

You agree to not use the Service:

* to upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available (A) any content that you do not have a right to make available and any commercial publication or exploitation of the Service or any content provided in connection therewith is specifically prohibited and anyone wishing to do so must first request and receive prior written permission from PEV to do so; (B) any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party; (C) any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation except for vendors so authorized to do so; or (D) any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

* to forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any content transmitted through or made available through the Service;

* to collect or store personal data about other users; or deleting or revising any content (including, but not limited to, legal notices) posted by PEV or attempting to decipher, decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer any of the software or content provided through, comprising or making up the Service;

* to use or attempt to use any engine, software, tool, agent or other device or mechanism (including without limitation browsers, spiders, robots, avatars or intelligent agents) to navigate or search this Site other than the search engine and search agents available from Experience on this Site and other than generally available third-party web browsers (e.g., Netscape Navigator, Microsoft Explorer) or;

* to intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law.

Linkages

PEV welcomes links to its http://www.baseballprospectus.com web site. You are free to establish a hypertext link to this web site providing that the link does not state or imply any sponsorship or endorsement by PEV. Similarly, PEV often links to web sites that are not under its control. PEV is not responsible for the contents of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. PEV provides links only as a convenience and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement of the web site by PEV.

Dissemination, Discontinuance or Modification

PEV may discontinue disseminating any written column, category and type of information, resources and data, and work of specific authors and contributors. PEV may change or eliminate any transmission method and may change transmission speeds or other signal characteristics. Persons and subscribers shall not hold PEV liable for any resulting distress, inconvenience, losses or damages that may arise as a result. Persons and subscribers acknowledge that PEV, at its sole discretion, may occasionally make modifications to its system, web site and the information, resources and data contained therein, including the Service and/or BP Premium and/or BP Fantasy content.

http://baseballprospectus.com/tos/
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:29 pm

dmendro wrote:Can we get back on topic please? Anyone have any luck finding software that will let you conduct your own ONLINE auction draft yet? Any insiders here that know what Yahoo and Sprtosline's new features will be this year?

The software at FanStar.com has an Auction option, but I have to admit I've never used it. Don't know how good it is/isn't...
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby LukeW9027 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:43 pm

Has anyone else noticed that the PECOTA Projections seem very pessimistic? or is it just me... :-? :-[
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:47 pm

LukeW9027 wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the PECOTA Projections seem very pessimistic? or is it just me... :-? :-[

I kind of noticed that last year which led me to think 'if all the hitters are going to do this poorly, then the pitchers should come out better or if the pitchers do poorly it would make sense that the hitters would benefit'.

I think that a real acid test of a projection system might be to add up the projections for both hitters and pitchers and see how close they come out... :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers