College Fraternitys... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

College Fraternitys...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:16 pm

If you weren't in a fraternity, you cannot possibly comment intelligently on fraternity life. It's impossible.

Secondly, you rarely hear negative comments about fraternities from people that were actually in them.

You make a killing off of half-wit statements on these forums.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:23 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
If you weren't in a fraternity, you cannot possibly comment intelligently on fraternity life. It's impossible.

Secondly, you rarely hear negative comments about fraternities from people that were actually in them.

Ouch
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DaQ » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:02 am

Let's see...

I'm not in a frat and never plan on joining one, but with two Sophomore guys on my floor here at BU in the frat and another guy in that same frat as a pledge, I think I can help out a little bit in terms of the process of becoming a Brother.

First off, this frat is Kappa Sigma. It is the biggest frat here at BU. I will be basing my opinions and examples off this frat, because it is the one I know about.

First, ALL the frats are going to reall promote themselves. Here at BU, there was a picnic set up by the school where all the frats and sororities can pass out pamphlets and talk to prospective brothers/sisters. There also was a free BBQ, so my friends and I decided to check it out.

Next, each frat will host several fun activities for interested people. For Kappa Sigma, this included a tour of Fenway Park, chilling at BU Central (which has TV's, couches, pool tables, ping pong tables, etc.) and then watching the Yankees/Red Sox at Pizzeria Uno's, with all hte food being paid by the frat.

Then come interviews. According to the two Soph. frat guys, the interview is what [i]really
counts. The activities allow you to get to know the brothers, but that won't make or break you unless you really come off bad. Anyway, the potential pledge enters a room, sitting in the middle of a panel of brothers. The brothers fire questions at the candidate. Questions range from "Why do you want to join this frat?" to "Which male actor would you most want to bang, if you were gay?" If you say you want to be a sports broadcaster, they'll ask you to make the call of a famous sporting event. Afterwardds, the brothers vote. According to the frat guys I know a potential pledge needs a VERY HIGH percentage of votes, like 80-85% or so.

If you are voted in, you are a pledge. There's usually a pretty "unique" ritual to being inducted into the frat. After this, then you participate in the activities the brothers do - parties, communit service, etc.

Finally, there is Hell Week. According to the pledge I know, the pledge does not get ANY sleep for around a week, and then they do some other things that truly make it "hell week".

After all this, you are a Brother.[/i]

I've been to some of their parties as well (not their brothers-only parties though like date party, halloween party, etc). They're ok, but it's a lot of people in a small space looking for beer, and there is music. They run it pretty well, as there is a bar and a brother fills the beer or jungle juice for you. They also have a beer pong/beirut table.
Last edited by DaQ on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:11 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Amazinz wrote:It seems like a lot of people (in general) have misconceptions about fraternities based on Hollywood and urban legends.

Not always. I think the people from the outside looking in don't want to understand what the big deal is about fraternities...and frat members tend to look at the fraternity as if to say what would they be without it.

I realize it's not always and all people. I definitely don't think fraternities are a big deal. In some ways they are to those who enjoyed them but I'm not some elitist who believes it's a must. I totally get that some people are disinterested but having a strong opinion against is not disinterest. People with strong opinions against, concerning fraternities, are generally expressing preconceptions.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mak1277 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:54 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. I stand by those two comments you quoted.

Going to fraternity parties doesn't give a non-fraternity member any real insight into what a fraternity is really like. It's a miniscule portion of what a real fraternity is about.

I'm not sure what's "half-wit" about either of those things, really. I mean, an internet forum isn't exactly the best arena to have a full debate about any subject. It's all a series of sound bites and snippets of what passes for real debate. I know I'm guilty of that, but no more or less than anyone else.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby mak1277 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:57 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

Oh, and if you're going to personally attack someone, you might as well not be a sissy...just use my name if you're going to quote me.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:33 pm

mak1277 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Oh, and if you're going to personally attack someone, you might as well not be a sissy...just use my name if you're going to quote me.

lmao... and you're serious too. :-b :-b :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby tuff_gong » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:18 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:Lot of haters on Greek Life. I understand some of the points, but overall I'd recommend it to anyone. I think a lot of people are are ignorant about what it's about. Fraternities are about developing young men into solid individuals and leaders. Any fraternity that isn't about doing something along these lines is a damn joke.

Anyway join the best fraternity anywhere

Tau Kappa Epsilon

One more thing it's fraternity not frat.

I agree completely here except replace it with Delta Chi :-b .

"Why do you call your fraternity a frat? Would you call your country a ****?"

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:34 pm

mak1277 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Take it easy guys...:)
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ironman » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:21 am

tuff_gong wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:Lot of haters on Greek Life. I understand some of the points, but overall I'd recommend it to anyone. I think a lot of people are are ignorant about what it's about. Fraternities are about developing young men into solid individuals and leaders. Any fraternity that isn't about doing something along these lines is a damn joke.

Anyway join the best fraternity anywhere

Tau Kappa Epsilon

One more thing it's fraternity not frat.

I agree completely here except replace it with Delta Chi :-b .

"Why do you call your fraternity a frat? Would you call your country a ****?"

FRAT FRAT FRAT FRAT!

I had a frat guy chastise me about that, using that country line. I responded with, "So should I call you a d***head not a d***?"

The TKE's were the geekiest frat on our campus, which I guess just adds to the previous claims that it's not a fair assessment of a certain frat since they can vary from school to school.

We stole a lion statue from Sigma Alpha Epsilon once and chiseled an ashtray in it's head. It made a nice conversation piece.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk