College Fraternitys... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

College Fraternitys...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:15 am

Callahan wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Yoda wrote:Great way to network socially...

Social networking if a phoney word for "Talking to people"

:-D :-D

Use of the word "networking" is one of my pet peeves.

Some very good points are being made. I always thought frats were a great place to steal beer.

If I met a group of dudes at some party, and they were like "Well, you can maybe be friends with us, but first you have to swallow a goldfish, walk around in women's clothing for a week, and let Keith spank you," I would probably think they're kinda weird and wouldn't want to hang out with them. But that's just me.

First of all, you're not a business major, are you?

Second, I'm not spanking anybody!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:16 am

The frat scene really varies from campus to campus. For example, USC (Southern Cal, not South Carolina) is known to have fraternities who are known to be quite exclusive in the parties they throw (to the point it's considered elitist in some circles) whereas my alma mater, LMU, tends to have fraternities that focus more on social justice/community service programs for the reason that there aren't any frat houses (thus, the lack of on-campus frat parties) and because LMU is a Jesuit institution that prides itself in social responsibility. I find that some folks treat the frat mission as if it's nothing but bullplop, but some are really serious about it.

Frat experiences can be quite polarizing. For instance, a friend of mine during freshman year, who never lit a cigarette in his life prior to rush, was forced to smoke. It's a habit that he's unable to kick away. Sure, it may seem like a minor hazing ritual, but the fact is he's doing it against his own will to some extent for whatever reason. There's a prestige in being associated with Sigma Phi Epsilon, that has its big benefits because of the deep social network, and there are folks who believe that this is the inside track to faster growth in career, which has correlation with quality of life, of course. It's difficult to get a job and it's difficult to meet the right people in this day and age, now more than ever, but fraternities do maximize the chances of going far in your career and meeting people, as well as developing the virtues that the frats stand for and what they aspire to instill (whether that's a bunch of bullplop or not is beside the point).

However, fraternities aren't for everyone. I never thought about joining a fraternity when I was in school simply because I knew I wasn't a good fit for the Greek scene and at the time, I felt like an oddball during my collegiate career. I found myself at odds against people who thought they were big shots because of the fraternity and I perceived them to be artificial, snobbish, brown-nosers and some really do have this mentality. On top of that, I didn't appreciate my university's student culture being very much in line with a high school environment as it felt so stratified. LMU is a relatively small, Catholic school known for its share of stuck-up spoiled brats who live in their own little world separate from the real world. Nothing against the alma mater, but this holds true.

Again, some folks are more inclined to join a fraternity for whatever reason whereas some folks for whatever reason aren't too keen about joining the Greek scene. To each his own, really. Frats are meant to instill virtues of brotherhood and responsibility, but sometimes they do succeed in doing this and sometimes they don't. Just be careful about joining a frat and don't do anything that makes you feel compromised or compromises you in some way.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 662)

Postby Callahan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:19 am

Coppermine wrote:First of all, you're not a business major, are you?

Even worse: I am in politics. O:-)

Tough place to be for a guy who hates "networking."
[i]"I think if Norman Rockwell were alive, the guy that he would paint more than anyone else would be David Eckstein." ~McCarver[/i]
Callahan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:30 pm

First off, I always find it interesting that the people who bash fraternities are the same people that weren't in fraternities. I'm not going to say it's a jealousy thing, because that's stupid, but it is an ignorant comment to make.

If you weren't in a fraternity, you cannot possibly comment intelligently on fraternity life. It's impossible.

First off, I'll acknowledge that fraternities are not for everyone. No question.

Secondly, you rarely hear negative comments about fraternities from people that were actually in them. Not everyone has good experiences, but mine were great. When I went to college I didn't think I wanted to be in a fraternity, but in hindsight, it was the best decision I made during my college years.

I'm not going to say it's the only way to make friends, because it's not....but just remember who's giving you advice when you read all these people ripping fraternities. Make your own decisions.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby acsguitar » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:49 pm

mak1277 wrote:First off, I always find it interesting that the people who bash fraternities are the same people that weren't in fraternities. I'm not going to say it's a jealousy thing, because that's stupid, but it is an ignorant comment to make.

If you weren't in a fraternity, you cannot possibly comment intelligently on fraternity life. It's impossible.

First off, I'll acknowledge that fraternities are not for everyone. No question.

Secondly, you rarely hear negative comments about fraternities from people that were actually in them. Not everyone has good experiences, but mine were great. When I went to college I didn't think I wanted to be in a fraternity, but in hindsight, it was the best decision I made during my college years.

I'm not going to say it's the only way to make friends, because it's not....but just remember who's giving you advice when you read all these people ripping fraternities. Make your own decisions.

i can comment on fraternity life as I went to parties and tried to get in the pants of sorority girls who hung out with fraternity dudes.

Anyways I like to make fun of pretty much everyone so thats probably one of the reasons I mock fraternities
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Zito is God » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:01 pm

Bill Gates would need to sign over Microsoft to me to get me to join a frat. Simply put, I have been around frats at multiple campuses, and while everyone is different, I simply hate the entire idea.

First off, I am sick of seeing the whole "we are better then you" frat groups who hang around campuses always walking in bunches smirking at everyone.

I think the entire hazing thing is by far the dumbest thing on the planet. These guys supposedly want to be your life long friends but first you must eat a rat and drink till you pass out?

The entire "If you were a true brother you'd do it" philosophy is beyond abnormal. I have been told by people who actually rushed that you basically don't have a choice in terms of some things. One guy had class during a frat football game and they told him if he didn't skip it he'd be out because eevryone needed to be there (in other words, insane). Another story is where a guy was really excited about a frat house his freshman year and wanted to meet people etc. but he was dry and never drank. The "brothers" told him everyone was drinking and he had to so he took a couple of beers, they said it wasn't enough and after the night was over (keep in mind this guy has never drank before) he ended up in the hospital from alcohol poisoning. Yeah, those are definetly "friends" I want to spend the rest of my life with.

Lastly, that the hell is this "manly thing"? I don't get whats manly about walking around in tootoos licking eachother to prove that you are a "true brother".

Take out the ridiculous hazing rituals and the unrealistic and irrational "unity obsession" and I may consider it. otherwise, I have visited enough campuses to know that frats are a bad idea to sell away your freedom.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:44 pm

Lot of haters on Greek Life. I understand some of the points, but overall I'd recommend it to anyone. I think a lot of people are are ignorant about what it's about. Fraternities are about developing young men into solid individuals and leaders. Any fraternity that isn't about doing something along these lines is a damn joke.

Anyway join the best fraternity anywhere

Tau Kappa Epsilon

One more thing it's fraternity not frat.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:45 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:Lot of haters on Greek Life. I understand some of the points, but overall I'd recommend it to anyone. I think a lot of people are are ignorant about what it's about. Fraternities are about developing young men into solid individuals and leaders. Any fraternity that isn't about doing something along these lines is a damn joke.

Anyway join the best fraternity anywhere

Tau Kappa Epsilon

One more thing it's fraternity not frat.

I think we can say each school has its own Frat issues.

Some are actually good some are really bad ... anyways
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:15 pm

It seems like a lot of people (in general) have misconceptions about fraternities based on Hollywood and urban legends. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I was never stripped of my individuality. If you're interested I would definitely go through the rush period, which is a blast. Then if you're still interested pledge. Pledging is not an unbreakable commitment. If at some point you are not satisfied with the experience, you can leave. We had people walk away every year because they decided it wasn't for them.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:51 pm

Amazinz wrote:It seems like a lot of people (in general) have misconceptions about fraternities based on Hollywood and urban legends.

Not always. I think the people from the outside looking in don't want to understand what the big deal is about fraternities...and frat members tend to look at the fraternity as if to say what would they be without it. From my personal experience, I've befriended guys who were active fraternity members on an individual-by-individual basis. In general, they were rather pleasant folks to hang out with. When they're assembled at a fraternity function with their brothers, they tend to turn the other way and sort of drift in their own other world. Whether that's intentional or unintentional, who knows, but this can leave an impression on some people that fraternities are meant to stratify the landscape of the student population and college culture. Whether that impression is reasonably based or distorted is beside the point. The point is the fraternity scene can be a sensitive issue because of the idea that a selected bunch of people bond at some level whereas some can't because somehow they're not on that same plain for whatever reason can be unnerving for the folks on the outside looking in.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 662)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk