College Fraternitys... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

College Fraternitys...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

College Fraternitys...

Postby Miami in Ohio? » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:44 am

I am a Freshman in College and when I arrive back for second semester, I can start rush. I was wondering if anyone had any stories, suggestions that you can tell me about greek life.

Also the ones I am looking at include

Kappa Alpha
Sigma Nu
Delta Chi
Beta

Thanks!
Miami in Ohio?
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:48 am

I wouldn't join a fraternity

They are lame
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby knapplc » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:55 am

Whatever, ACS.

Fraternities are a great way to learn social skills, begin networking for your future both in college and after, make lifelong friends and further your education career. I was in a fraternity in college, and while my story is more of a tale of what NOT to do while in school, the friends I made there are still my main core of friends today, nearly 20 years later.

My fraternity offered me the ability to have an older mentor during what can be a difficult time for young men. It gave me the opportunity to explore different avenues of training and it gave me a chance to see how men of true character comport themselves on campus. I would recommend finding a fraternity like that if you're interested in Greek Life.

Certainly there are pitfalls that can be found in a fraternity. Like any organization of young men, the lesser behaviors tend to come out and they can become out of control at times. But this is true in a dormitory as well as a fraternity house. If you choose your house wisely you will have men around you who will not encourage this kind of behavior, but rather will assist you in your college career.

I pledged Theta Chi, and I would heartily recommend that house to anyone considering Greek Life. It's a fine institution and a respectable place to live.

Good luck, MiO. Choose wisely, and have fun! ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:58 am

knapplc wrote:Whatever, ACS.

Fraternities are a great way to learn social skills, begin networking for your future both in college and after, make lifelong friends and further your education career. I was in a fraternity in college, and while my story is more of a tale of what NOT to do while in school, the friends I made there are still my main core of friends today, nearly 20 years later.

My fraternity offered me the ability to have an older mentor during what can be a difficult time for young men. It gave me the opportunity to explore different avenues of training and it gave me a chance to see how men of true character comport themselves on campus. I would recommend finding a fraternity like that if you're interested in Greek Life.

Certainly there are pitfalls that can be found in a fraternity. Like any organization of young men, the lesser behaviors tend to come out and they can become out of control at times. But this is true in a dormitory as well as a fraternity house. If you choose your house wisely you will have men around you who will not encourage this kind of behavior, but rather will assist you in your college career.

I pledged Theta Chi, and I would heartily recommend that house to anyone considering Greek Life. It's a fine institution and a respectable place to live.

I made friends by talking to people in class and on the street and in bars and at sporting events. Fraternities IMHO are lame. Back in the 40's when Knaps went to school :) they were a little more tame. Now they are just about getting trashed doing drugs and getting slores to come over and peddle their wheres from a cup of stale keg beer

maybee not at all colleges but at mine definitely. I once threw a leather chair off the balcony of a frat house. It was awesome. We had some friends in a fraternity, I use the word friends lightly, and the fraternity guys though we should leave because we would steal their skanks or something. So they told us to leave and I tossed my plastic cup on the table which he considered to be a defiant move. He then tried to kick me out so I grabbed an expensive chair and threw it off the balcony where it smashed on the roof below. ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby knapplc » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:00 pm

acsguitar wrote:

I made friends by talking to people in class and on the street and in bars and at sporting events. Fraternities IMHO are lame. Back in the 40's when Knaps went to school :) they were a little more tame. Now they are just about getting trashed doing drugs and getting slores to come over and peddle their wheres from a cup of stale keg beer

maybee not at all colleges but at mine definitely. I once threw a leather chair off the balcony of a frat house. It was awesome. We had some friends in a fraternity, I use the word friends lightly, and the fraternity guys though we should leave because we would steal their skanks or something. So they told us to leave and I tossed my plastic cup on the table which he considered to be a defiant move. He then tried to kick me out so I grabbed an expensive chair and threw it off the balcony where it smashed on the roof below. ;-D

Yeah, that story really goes to show how truly awful fraternities are. ;-7
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:02 pm

knapplc wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Heheh yep!

Truthfully if its your thing go for it...It isn't my thing so I didn't..
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ironman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:07 pm

I think frats can vary from to place to place. There are some schools where the Greek system is incredibly strong, while others it's fairly non-existant. At my school it was the latter, so pretty much nobody joined them, and the ones that did often got ridiculed. From my experience dealing with frat guys at my school most of the time they came off as pricks. I even had friends from freshman year that eventually pledged, and while a couple stayed friends, others stopped talking to most people outside of their frat. It was really lame.

Now that was at the University of Northern Iowa. Had I gone to Iowa State, things may have been a little different as the Greek system there is huge.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Mugrila » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:07 pm

:-o I'm afraid to say I'm partly with acs on this; I wouldn't say they are lame- they definitely have a positive side, but I'll just say they're not for me. But I'm the type that hates huge parties where you can barely move around and there's like 30 people surrounding the keg and you always seem to have more beer spilled on you than you actually drink. :-[
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:07 pm

knapplc wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

:-b , haha, that made me laugh.

but in all seriousness, yes frats are very lame.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ironman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:08 pm

Mugrila wrote::-o I'm afraid to say I'm partly with acs on this; I wouldn't say they are lame- they definitely have a positive side, but I'll just say they're not for me. But I'm the type that hates huge parties where you can barely move around and there's like 30 people surrounding the keg and you always seem to have more beer spilled on you than you actually drink. :-[

Yeah, I usually tried to become the guy that pumped the keg and poured for everyone. Easy way to talk to everyone there plus keep your cup full. ;-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Next

Return to General Talk