Dotel to Royals!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dotel to Royals!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:37 am

Arrowhead Nation wrote:If we based e very season off of the previous one, then why even play the games? Truth be told, you and I have NO CLUE who will finish in what place in any division.

We have a very good clue who will finish where in each division. Nothing is an absolutely assured, but it isn't just dumb luck that the Royals have 100+ losses and the Yankees have won their division the past few seasons. Optimism aside, if you were betting the house on where the Royals will finish next season you would be crazy to pick anything other than 5th.

The Royals have improved this offseason compared to where they were last year at this time if by nothing more than having another year under the belt of the younger players and having a better feel for where they are headed in their development. But being realistic this is a team that finished 16 games behind the 4th place team. They need alot more than adding a #4 starter and a closer to make up that kind of ground on the pack. They need Roy Hobbs to start handing out Wonder Boys.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:55 am

I guess this pretty much kills my idea that Braun might be the sleeper closer of the year and possible ROY in the Al closing for the Royals. That being said, I like the deal though I am surprised Dotel didn't decide to sign with cleveland and close there since they are a better team and could gain more saves there. I presume KC offered more money ($5 million plus $2 million in incentives) than Cle was offering. Borowski just got a boost of confidence though he has Cabrera over his shoulder there imo.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Scooter1027 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:55 am

Arrowhead Nation wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:
Arrowhead Nation wrote:
grammysboy wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Nice to see the Royals spend some money. Nice deal with Dotel, even if 5 million is a bit high for him.

The sad thing is that the Royals will still finish last.

Also, this certainly increases Gagnes contract.

I have to agree, sadly, the Royals have little chance of finishing anywhere above last unless a miraicle occurs. Too bad. It's nice to see them making some moves that seem to be geared toward long term improvement.

And why will we finish last?

It's called the White Sox, Indians, Twins, and Tigers -- all better teams.

If we based e very season off of the previous one, then why even play the games? Truth be told, you and I have NO CLUE who will finish in what place in any division.

Actually, I have a pretty good feel that the roster compositions of those four clubs as they currently stand are superior to the Royals in every way.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here or be offensive, but that's just how it is. Believe me, as a lifelong Brewers fan, I know what it's like to go into the season with the Ruben Quevedos of the world in your starting rotation and have no hope. That doesn't mean I didn't stand by my team, and I commend you for standing by yours. The Brewers have started to turn things around with some very talented youth in Hall, Fielder, Weeks, etc. Hopefully eventually the Royals can do the same with Gordon, Butler, etc. But this year, I have a hard time envisioning them anywhere but last.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BritSox » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:20 am

So... if he's proven he's healthy by mid-season, to whom does he get dealt, and for whom?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby J35J » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:52 am

:-D :-D

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:19 am

J35J wrote::-D :-D

Jason

man, I clicked those two smileys so hard my mouse almost broke. And no youtube video came up :-C
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

dotel

Postby Bostonboy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:37 pm

dotel signed because he was given what he wanted...the closer's job. true, he may be dealt by midseason, but the royals have to do something. they have a bunch of young talent and they continue to play games with them. they rush up their pitchers before they're ready, and let hitters waste away in the minors. and can anyone explain how esteban german doesn't play every day for that team? maybe if he drops his average to .250 he'll get a shot
Bostonboy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:30 pm

because German's average WILL drop to the 250s if he play everyday? And the dude is so bad defensively he got hit in the face by a flyball :-b
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Half Massed » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:50 pm

These signings aren't because the Royals think they can compete next year, they're because the Royals are showing that they are willing to compete and actively try to win in the future. Even the one year deals are aimed for future signing attempts.

They see that they have some great talent coming up soon and want to be able to get the free agents that they need in the future.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:00 am

Half Massed wrote:These signings aren't because the Royals think they can compete next year, they're because the Royals are showing that they are willing to compete and actively try to win in the future. Even the one year deals are aimed for future signing attempts.

They see that they have some great talent coming up soon and want to be able to get the free agents that they need in the future.

This is a great point. Right now, Dayton Moore is building full steam ahead for the free agent class of 2007. Without these signings, his team has absolute zero chance to sign a marquee free agent next year, when the market has these names out there:
Dye
Dunn
Abreu
Marcus Giles
Carlos Guillen
Torii Hunter

to name a few. Without Meche, Dotel and a sign that they are willing to pony up the dough, it puts them in the same place next year, but in a crop of free agents that truly has 4-5 top impact players available.

Again, Dayton Moore in ATL was no dummy. Look at the track record he left there as assistant GM, how much in demand he was for other positions(Boston leaps immediately to mind), and what you have here is a blueprint to the successful recruitment to the top free agents in the game in 2007.

And good for the KC Royals!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers