Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:46 pm

thomasps3 wrote:
Yoda wrote:55M LOL

C'mon, bring something useful.

It's just funny that they decide to pay 55M to a subpar pitcher with a laundry list of injury problems over guys who may not have the same ceiling but much more reliable.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pokey » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:30 pm

I'm pretty divided on this move. I think it's a bold move my Moore, but 55 million seems like it's just too much. It's a huge gamble. How likely will it be that Meche ends up putting it together and being worth that money? compared to the chances that his contract becomes something that further cripples an organization that's already in awful shape? If I had to guess, I'd say that the latter scenario is 4 to 5 times more likely.

On the other hand, if Kansas City sees itself in a place where things can't get worse, it's worth it, because they need to grab onto any oppurtunity they can get to pull themselves out of this hole. They've got nothing to lose but money, so I guess you just have to tip your cap to the owner.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:00 pm

Yoda wrote:
thomasps3 wrote:
Yoda wrote:55M LOL

C'mon, bring something useful.

It's just funny that they decide to pay 55M to a subpar pitcher with a laundry list of injury problems over guys who may not have the same ceiling but much more reliable.

1)Who's money is it? David Glass' money it is. And we hates him. He owe us a lot of money.

2)History has proven guys like Scott Elarton, Jose Lima, Jeff Suppan, whatever is the name of that former Pirate that signed with the Cards don't take a rebuilding team like the Royals out of a hole. Detroit didn't get out of their hole by signing Jaret Wright did it? They tried for the best, which was Pavano and Pudge that offseason.

3)Rutgers? LOL :-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:48 pm

here is what I don't get: how is Meche any different then Redman or Elarton. Their abilities and statistics are quite comparable unless I am mistaken.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:53 pm

Zito is God wrote:here is what I don't get: how is Meche any different then Redman or Elarton. Their abilities and statistics are quite comparable unless I am mistaken.

1)Age

2)Upside

I remember the Magglio signing a couple years ago was highly criticized too, not saying Meche will work out for sure. But it sure is better than signing a Redman.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Zito is God » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:55 pm

Isn't Meche like 28 or 29, I doubt he suddenly wakes up and starts putting up Cy Young numbers. The thing about the signing I don't like is obvious, the money and the years. I don't understand why you want to tie up mediocrity for that long. I also don't get why signing Redman for much much less isn't the better option.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:05 pm

Zito is God wrote:Isn't Meche like 28 or 29, I doubt he suddenly wakes up and starts putting up Cy Young numbers. The thing about the signing I don't like is obvious, the money and the years. I don't understand why you want to tie up mediocrity for that long. I also don't get why signing Redman for much much less isn't the better option.

Where did the signing of guys like Redman for the past, er, 2-3 year bring the Royals...?

And lightning does strike in a bottle some times, see Carpenter. And Meche will be 28 next season I think.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:08 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Zito is God wrote:Isn't Meche like 28 or 29, I doubt he suddenly wakes up and starts putting up Cy Young numbers. The thing about the signing I don't like is obvious, the money and the years. I don't understand why you want to tie up mediocrity for that long. I also don't get why signing Redman for much much less isn't the better option.

Where did the signing of guys like Redman for the past, er, 2-3 year bring the Royals...?

And lightning does strike in a bottle some times, see Carpenter. And Meche will be 28 next season I think.
The Cards didn't pay $55 million on the off chance that they hit the lottery. And seeing how KC has even less resources I don't see why they would tie up a huge chunk of their payroll in an average pitcher.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:12 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

The Cards didn't pay $55 million on the off chance that they hit the lottery. And seeing how KC has even less resources I don't see why they would tie up a huge chunk of their payroll in an average pitcher.

The thing is, a FA that is willing to go to the Cards for 10 millions a year would probably cost us at least 13 millions a year and maybe a longer contract now. That's just the sad state that the Royals is in right now. And we aren't getting out of it by playing it safe.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers