Meche signs with KC - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Meche signs with KC

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:47 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
MMoNeY24 wrote:This probably ranks near the top of the worst contracts I've seen in my lifetime.

1. Darren Dreifort

At least Dreifort had a full season of pitching with an ERA+ over 100.

Yeah but Dreifort didn't have Carpenter and Scmidt as his comps... :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:29 pm

davidmarver wrote:Actually, it's only a matter of time before the supply out-does the demand. I can't possibly see the future having a more pitching-hungry market than the current offseason.

there will always be a demand for pitching.

"You go through The Sporting News for the last 100 years,
and you will find two things are always true.
You never have enough pitching, and nobody ever made money."
- Donald Fehr, executive director, MLBPA
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby mweir145 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:36 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Actually, it's only a matter of time before the supply out-does the demand. I can't possibly see the future having a more pitching-hungry market than the current offseason.

there will always be a demand for pitching.

I think Marver is right, though. Eventually a number of pitchers like Meche will jump into the FA market, seeing big bucks in their future, only to find that teams just can't afford them. The supply of pitchers will eventually exceed demand. The prices have to go down sometime.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby tol1l1yboy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:56 am

The supply of pitchers will eventually exceed demand. The prices have to go down sometime.

I doubt it. People having been saying this since the first mlb free agent contracts were being signed and there have been only a few times in the last 20 or so years that salaries have declined. The last was when the owners allegedly colluded to keep salaries down.

There is a whole lot of money out there now that is going to keep on growing and there will never be so many pitchers that supply will exceed demand.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:51 am

tol1l1yboy wrote:
The supply of pitchers will eventually exceed demand. The prices have to go down sometime.

I doubt it. People having been saying this since the first mlb free agent contracts were being signed and there have been only a few times in the last 20 or so years that salaries have declined. The last was when the owners allegedly colluded to keep salaries down.

There is a whole lot of money out there now that is going to keep on growing and there will never be so many pitchers that supply will exceed demand.

Well, collectively, it has to grow, due to inflation and the growth of baseball as a sport. However, with respect to the top contracts, and players at other positions, the price of pitching will go down in the next three to five years.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jazzmanljg » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:47 am

I think what non kansas city fans don't understand is that a guy that could give us 10 wins a year for 5 years with an ERA under 5 is huge for us. I know that sounds sad, but if we can fill a staff of 5 guys that would be considered 4-5 on other teams that's a start. It's better then having 3 guys like that and having to fill the other 2 spots with young pitchers who have no business being called up yet. If we have to over pay to get average major league pitchers to fill our staff until our minor league pitchers can properly develope I'm fine with that. Eventually, this should allow us to climb out of the whole we have dug for ourselves. In my opinion that is what Moore is doing. He's not paying that money just to get Meche, but to stop the brutal massacre of young KC pitchers.
Thanks to soty for the great sig!
jazzmanljg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:36 am

LOL 55M...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:52 pm

**BIG PICTURE ALERT**

**BIG PICTURE ALERT**

Right now, Dayton Moore is building full steam ahead for the free agent class of 2007. Without the signings of Meche and Dotel, his team has absolute zero chance to sign a marquee free agent next year, when the market has these names out there:
Dye
Dunn
Abreu
Marcus Giles
Carlos Guillen
Torii Hunter

to name a few. Without Meche, Dotel and a sign that they are willing to pony up the dough, it puts them in the same place next year, but in a crop of free agents that truly has 4-5 top impact players available.

Again, Dayton Moore in ATL was no dummy.

**Look at the track record**

Very much in demand for other GM posts(Boston leaps immediately to mind), and what you have here is a blueprint to the successful recruitment to the top free agents in the game in 2007.

And good for the KC Royals!

Incremental improvement is what is being made here, and it has to start somewhere. Better to start with a 28 year old power arm coming into his prime pitching years as a way to show the next year's FA class they will spend on the players they want.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby J35J » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:25 pm

Like I said in the Dotel thread, I agree completely with you thomasps3. It just needs to come from someone other than a KC fan, and I thank you.

On another note, the rumor around here is that we are looking to get Suppan now...... no links just local radio talk......

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:28 pm

55M LOL
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers