Meche signs with KC - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Meche signs with KC

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:30 am

Spending money certainly isn't a bad thing for the Royals, I don't think anybody is saying that, but the thing is, there are just so many better ways to spend this money (why weren't they in on the bidding for Burnett last year? That was the same contract.). Gil Meche has been a mediocre pitcher his entire career, and just because he's 28 with a high fastball (basically the only guy with the same combo of youth+speed in the market this year), it doesn't mean he's suddenly going to drop his ERA below 4, or be any better than he has done in the past. The fact of the matter is his ERA+ was only 97 last year, in the best year of his career. That's the definition of mediocre. As a Jays fan, I was ready to call it a terrible deal if it was anywhere over 4 years/32M. He's actually a worse pitcher than Ted Lilly (and many of you know how I feel about his mediocrity), but received far more than he did.. The Royals actually offered the guy 15M more than anybody else did. It would be understandable to actually bid like this for somebody good, somebody you atleast know will be a good pitcher/hitter for you, but Meche is not that sure thing, he's not even close.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:33 am

Arrowhead Nation wrote:KC had the highest payroll in MLB as late as 1994. So all of you who deem KC as small market really know nothing of the history of KC baseball pre-David Glass.

I'm fairly certain that the Jays had the highest payroll in the league from 1992-1994.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:19 am

Arrowhead Nation wrote:FWIW, at least we get some love from Jayson Stark

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove0 ... id=2690258

relevant portion.....
The AL Central just gets better and better. And while no one has paid much attention, even the Royals are trying to make a move.

Not that new GM Dayton Moore didn't seem to overpay drastically for the enigmatic Gil Meche (five years, at a reported $55 million). But you can tell Moore came from Atlanta, because he just keeps stockpiling arms. Already this winter, he has brought in Meche, Bannister, Ken Ray, Wayne Franklin and Dewon Brazelton. And Miguel Batista might not be far behind.

Nobody in there is exactly Glavine, Maddux or Smoltz. But assuming enough of those pitchers turn into a real staff at some point, this team could actually be a force when masher Billy Butler and minor league player of the year Alex Gordon arrive in the next year or so. No kidding.

And this was posted BEFORE the Dotel news.

None of those guys he is bringing in are what you would call an impact pitcher (Meche included). They are all mediocre at best (Meche included) and while they are better than what they had, I don't see them helping the Royals compete any time soon. And now they are 55M lighter in their pocketbook for the next 5 years to fight for last place.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby slomo007 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:22 am

Given the way things have gone the last few years....just wait a couple offseasons and Meche will be a bargain.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby djacks » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:13 pm

slomo007 wrote:Given the way things have gone the last few years....just wait a couple offseasons and Meche will be a bargain.

Best point I've seen made so far... ;-D
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:56 pm

slomo007 wrote:Given the way things have gone the last few years....just wait a couple offseasons and Meche will be a bargain.

It is actually this year that all the FA salaries have been ratcheted up significantly.

There is a chance that Meche will be worth 55M but based on what we know now, the probability that he won't live up to that contract is greater than not.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:09 pm

Actually, it's only a matter of time before the supply out-does the demand. I can't possibly see the future having a more pitching-hungry market than the current offseason.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby MMoNeY24 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:14 pm

This probably ranks near the top of the worst contracts I've seen in my lifetime.

If I were a KC fan, I would want them to spend, but what's the rush in this market to sign a mediocre player when there are 4 other quality teams ahead of you in the division?
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:19 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:This probably ranks near the top of the worst contracts I've seen in my lifetime.

1. Darren Dreifort
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby davidmarver » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:25 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
MMoNeY24 wrote:This probably ranks near the top of the worst contracts I've seen in my lifetime.

1. Darren Dreifort

At least Dreifort had a full season of pitching with an ERA+ over 100.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers