Meche signs with KC - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Meche signs with KC

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:54 pm

Wow, this is how bad teams stay bad. Yes, the Royals should spend more money, but wouldn't it be better spent on scouting and such??

Contracts like these are what keep the Royals, Pirates, etc in a nosedive that they cant' recover from. Why not overpay on the lower end guys, so that they can get more of them and help the team overall? Kip Wells signed with the Cards for a 1 yr 4 million deal. Why not sign him for a 2 yr 12 million (They'd have to overpay), improve their rotation and have more money for another part.

One avg starting pitcher wont help the Royals do anything.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:55 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:I'm thinking this is one of the worst signings not only of the year, but EVER. You've got to be kidding me.

I'd have to agree with this. 55-60M? Wow, just wow. I guess I can see why he chose the Royals over the Blue Jays now. As a Jays fan, I thought anything over 4 years and 36M would be incredibly excessive...but this, who in their right mind would give Gil Meche this kind of contract? His best full season ever came last year with a 4.48 ERA, and a 1.43 WHIP, in the AL West. The guy is a league average pitcher with some potential, is that what 60M gets you in this market now?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:58 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:5/55 for burnett looks like a huge bargain.

Yeah, atleast he was an above average pitcher when the Jays signed him with ace potential, as opposed to Gil Meche who is none of those things.

I still can't believe Gil Meche got a contract like this...I mean it's Gil Meche. :-o
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby J35J » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:23 pm

I agree this is overpaying but everyone this year has been overpayed.

We could do this deal and have a fairly young guy with some good stuff who is right at the beginning of his peak years. Or do like some of you suggest and what we've done in the past and sign the Elartons, Redmans, Kip Wells, blah blah blah.... guys with no upside and/or well past their primes IF they ever had one. And continue to lose 100 games a year. This is the first "real" FA the KC Royals have signed since 1991 Mike Bodicker, seriously! This is actually a huge day for the Royals regardless if Meche ever sees the freakin field just because it shows that we are willing to target a guy, compete with the Cubs, Blue Jays, etc and win the bidding war.

All I'm saying is.... we are actually making strides, we are competing in the FA market (at least a little). We are targeting guys and we are getting them!!! I'd take Meche and his 11-12 mil over Matthews and his 10 mil any day of the week. Meche has always had the potential and the stuff (1st rd pick) and he is just now in his peak years. Lets see what he can do over the next 5 years.

I'm actually a little excited about this signing, not necessarily because its Meche but because there is LIFE in the Royals organization for the first time in 15+ years! Lets play some ball!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby noseeum » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:28 pm

J35J wrote:I agree this is overpaying but everyone this year has been overpayed.

We could do this deal and have a fairly young guy with some good stuff who is right at the beginning of his peak years. Or do like some of you suggest and what we've done in the past and sign the Elartons, Redmans, Kip Wells, blah blah blah.... guys with no upside and/or well past their primes IF they ever had one. And continue to lose 100 games a year. This is the first "real" FA the KC Royals have signed since 1991 Mike Bodicker, seriously! This is actually a huge day for the Royals regardless if Meche ever sees the freakin field just because it shows that we are willing to target a guy, compete with the Cubs, Blue Jays, etc and win the bidding war.

All I'm saying is.... we are actually making strides, we are competing in the FA market (at least a little). We are targeting guys and we are getting them!!! I'd take Meche and his 11-12 mil over Matthews and his 10 mil any day of the week. Meche has always had the potential and the stuff (1st rd pick) and he is just now in his peak years. Lets see what he can do over the next 5 years.

I'm actually a little excited about this signing, not necessarily because its Meche but because there is LIFE in the Royals organization for the first time in 15+ years! Lets play some ball!

Jason

The problem with your thinking is that they've never shown the commitment. One deal like this is never going to cut it. What the signing does is open the door for the Royals. To have even a chance with Meche, they had to overpay. When your team has a terrible rep, that's what you have to do.

So if they use this as an opening to continue pursuing success and maybe hope to lure one or two more guys this year and next year, than yes, it's a good idea.

But if they do what they've done before, and give Meche a bunch of money and then say they can't afford anyone else, it's a real dumb deal.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:36 pm

hahahhahahahahahhahahaha 5 for 55... :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mugrila » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:51 pm

Yoda wrote:hahahhahahahahahhahahaha 5 for 55... :-D

And we though Schmidt was expensive, I'd rather have him/his contract than Gil.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:55 pm

Mugrila wrote:
Yoda wrote:hahahhahahahahahhahahaha 5 for 55... :-D

And we though Schmidt was expensive, I'd rather have him/his contract than Gil.

Sorry I'm still laughing... hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahha...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:58 pm

Nice to know the Royals have a pulse. But they cant just stop with this one acquistion.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:58 pm

J35J wrote:I agree this is overpaying but everyone this year has been overpayed.

Jason

Well yes, you usually tend to get players when you give them 15M more than anybody else will on the market. And don't get me wrong, I like the Royals, they are my favourite team after the Jays, but there's no way to justify a contract like this for such a mediocre pitcher.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers