Meche signs with KC - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Meche signs with KC

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:18 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:And if this contract is supposed to send a sign to offer FA that they are willing to spend why didn't the Sweeney contract do that?

1)Sweeney was a Royal his full career

2)Sweeney's contract was thought of as "cheap" back when it was signed.

#2 is the important part
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:22 am

J35J wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:I'm out till tomorrow night, J35J can keep up the fight if he wants to.

Nahh, this is a losing battle that only KC fans seem to fully understand. I'll just leave it at that and let you, PlayingwithFire, to fend for yourself......sorry! :-D !+)

Jason

I disagree....I am not a KC fan and I fully understand why they did what they did. Sure, it could turn out to be a big mistake and Meche could completely bust. But to be honest, it's a gamble KC had to take. Even with the youth coming up, the team stood no shot at competing for a playoff spot in a few years. They need a LOT of help, and they need it quickly. Why not start with taking care of 1 of your rotation spots?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:28 am

slomo007 wrote:
J35J wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:I'm out till tomorrow night, J35J can keep up the fight if he wants to.

Nahh, this is a losing battle that only KC fans seem to fully understand. I'll just leave it at that and let you, PlayingwithFire, to fend for yourself......sorry! :-D !+)

Jason

I disagree....I am not a KC fan and I fully understand why they did what they did. Sure, it could turn out to be a big mistake and Meche could completely bust. But to be honest, it's a gamble KC had to take. Even with the youth coming up, the team stood no shot at competing for a playoff spot in a few years. They need a LOT of help, and they need it quickly. Why not start with taking care of 1 of your rotation spots?

Yeah, I should have worded that better. I said "seem to" understand, which is like saying most or most that I've seen or whatever. I do know that there are non-KC fans that understand what we're trying to do so I'll let them do the talking as to not make it look like a couple of homers are trying to make excuses for our club...... ;-D

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:35 am

J35J wrote:

Jason

You disappointed me :-C
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:13 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
J35J wrote:

Jason

55M... LOL
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:14 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
suppasonic wrote:
Yoda wrote:
3. Mmmk? Do they even have football in China?

PWNED!!!! :-B :-b :-D ;-D

Do they have universities in China? :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:18 am

Yoda wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
J35J wrote:

Jason

55M... LOL

Yoda, man, I like you sometimes but seriously you're being annoying here. We all realize 55M is a big chunk of change. But you're being just plain ignorant about it.

Kansas City had no real choice, either sit back and watch their organization continue to spiral downwards, or try to make a splash in the market in the hopes of attracting more FAs in a year or two. It's not like they gave a 35 yo journeyman 55M. It was to a talented pitcher in the prime years of his career. It's not that bad of a gamble...and I'm not even a KC fan. I just understand the reasoning behind it.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:27 am

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
J35J wrote:

Jason

55M... LOL

Yoda, man, I like you sometimes but seriously you're being annoying here. We all realize 55M is a big chunk of change. But you're being just plain ignorant about it.

Kansas City had no real choice, either sit back and watch their organization continue to spiral downwards, or try to make a splash in the market in the hopes of attracting more FAs in a year or two. It's not like they gave a 35 yo journeyman 55M. It was to a talented pitcher in the prime years of his career. It's not that bad of a gamble...and I'm not even a KC fan. I just understand the reasoning behind it.

If someone can convince me how Meche is all of a sudden a "talented pitcher", then I will stop laughing. I've said this in every post but a 29 yo with 4 years of his career missing due to injuries and 4.60 career ERA is not someone you throw 55M at no matter who you are.

Dayton is stockpiling young, cheap arms but then he throws 55M at a busted pitcher. They are not the Cubs or the Yanks or Red Sox. They cannot make dumb mistakes like throwing 11M a year on Meche when their entire team salary in 06 was 47M. And that was including Odalis' 8.7M which was picked up mostly by LA if I am not mistaking. That's just stupid.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:38 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:Man, I was wee bit late to edit the Rutgers part out. I thought that would induce unnecessary non-Meche related posts here(and I can only blame myself).

And no, I'm not familiar with college football outside big 12. So I was just saying for the sake of it. And I really didn't know what I was talking about :-b

That's ok but now you have something in common with The Miner 2 and The Cow. Something I would not pride myself with. :-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:42 am

I will say that we (KC) has/will have more money than just a $47 payroll. Like was mentioned before we will lose $11+ mil and 5+ mil after this coming year when Sweeney and Sanders are gone. Not to mention we are renovating our stadium($200+ mil worth) which will help in revenue and the income tax(revenue sharing) is only going up. I'd be willing to say we will be around a $75 mil payroll by 2009 or 2010....... :-o ........maybe?

....Yeah I know, by then $75 mil will be the same as $47 mil was last year.... :-° But anyway, its not like we completely capped out our payroll by this signing.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers