100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Meche signs with KC

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pokey » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:55 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
Zito is God wrote:Isn't Meche like 28 or 29, I doubt he suddenly wakes up and starts putting up Cy Young numbers. The thing about the signing I don't like is obvious, the money and the years. I don't understand why you want to tie up mediocrity for that long. I also don't get why signing Redman for much much less isn't the better option.

Where did the signing of guys like Redman for the past, er, 2-3 year bring the Royals...?

And lightning does strike in a bottle some times, see Carpenter. And Meche will be 28 next season I think.
The Cards didn't pay $55 million on the off chance that they hit the lottery. And seeing how KC has even less resources I don't see why they would tie up a huge chunk of their payroll in an average pitcher.

The thing is, a FA that is willing to go to the Cards for 10 millions a year would probably cost us at least 13 millions a year and maybe a longer contract now. That's just the sad state that the Royals is in right now. And we aren't getting out of it by playing it safe.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with Playingwithfire. Signing Redman would have been safer, but so what? His upside is probably Meche's median projection. Mark Redman can't help the Royals win. Meche probably can't, but at least probably's something.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:36 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Yoda wrote:
thomasps3 wrote:
Yoda wrote:55M LOL

C'mon, bring something useful.

It's just funny that they decide to pay 55M to a subpar pitcher with a laundry list of injury problems over guys who may not have the same ceiling but much more reliable.

1)Who's money is it? David Glass' money it is. And we hates him. He owe us a lot of money.

2)History has proven guys like Scott Elarton, Jose Lima, Jeff Suppan, whatever is the name of that former Pirate that signed with the Cards don't take a rebuilding team like the Royals out of a hole. Detroit didn't get out of their hole by signing Jaret Wright did it? They tried for the best, which was Pavano and Pudge that offseason.

3)Rutgers? LOL :-D

1. 55M is still real money. Tied up on a subpar pitcher for next 5 years will prevent your team from sigining real FA's or retaining your own players which has been the pattern for KC.

2. Detroit did it by building up from ground up. They made some good signings but they could not have gone to the dance without their farm system producing real players, especially pitchers. It wasn't blowing 55M on a lottery ticket hoping somehow a 29 yo would magically turn into an ace.

3. Mmmk? Do they even have football in China?

4. 55M LOL.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby suppasonic » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:04 am

Yoda wrote:

Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:12 am

suppasonic wrote:
Yoda wrote:

PWNED!!!! :-B :-b :-D ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:27 am

Yoda wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
Yoda wrote:
thomasps3 wrote:

It's just funny that they decide to pay 55M to a subpar pitcher with a laundry list of injury problems over guys who may not have the same ceiling but much more reliable.

1)Who's money is it? David Glass' money it is. And we hates him. He owe us a lot of money.

2)History has proven guys like Scott Elarton, Jose Lima, Jeff Suppan, whatever is the name of that former Pirate that signed with the Cards don't take a rebuilding team like the Royals out of a hole. Detroit didn't get out of their hole by signing Jaret Wright did it? They tried for the best, which was Pavano and Pudge that offseason.

1. 55M is still real money. Tied up on a subpar pitcher for next 5 years will prevent your team from sigining real FA's or retaining your own players which has been the pattern for KC.

2. Detroit did it by building up from ground up. They made some good signings but they could not have gone to the dance without their farm system producing real players, especially pitchers. It wasn't blowing 55M on a lottery ticket hoping somehow a 29 yo would magically turn into an ace.

4. 55M LOL.

1. Our core is young: Teahen, Greinke, Shealy, Buck, Bannister hasn't hit arbitration yet, Beltran, I mean Dejesus is signed long term. Sweeney and Sanders are gone after 2007(in between those guys there are more than 11 millions I believe). In one sentence, we have money to spend, we will have even more after 2007.

2. The Magglio signing was highly criticized because of its length and money because a lot of people didn't believe Magg can stay healthy or stay productive. And they did have some good arms in the farm so they are mostly after bats.

a couple years later...

The Meche signing is highly criticized because of its length and money because a lot of people didn't believe Meche would build on his sorta breakout year in 2006 and stay healthy to be productive. And we do have some good bats in the farm so we are mostly after arms.

3. LOL, PWNED!! :-D

4. Once a laughingstock, now enjoying a fluke year, going back to laughingstock next year. and oh, almost forgot, LOL!

I'm out till tomorrow night, J35J can keep up the fight if he wants to.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Midnight_Toker » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:05 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Yoda wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
Yoda wrote:
thomasps3 wrote:

4. 55M LOL.

1. Our core is young: Teahen, Greinke, Shealy, Buck, Bannister hasn't hit arbitration yet, Beltran, I mean Dejesus is signed long term. Sweeney and Sanders are gone after 2007(in between those guys there are more than 11 millions I believe). In one sentence, we have money to spend, we will have even more after 2007.

2. The Magglio signing was highly criticized because of its length and money because a lot of people didn't believe Magg can stay healthy or stay productive. And they did have some good arms in the farm so they are mostly after bats.

a couple years later...

The Meche signing is highly criticized because of its length and money because a lot of people didn't believe Meche would build on his sorta breakout year in 2006 and stay healthy to be productive. And we do have some good bats in the farm so we are mostly after arms.

3. LOL, PWNED!! :-D

4. Once a laughingstock, now enjoying a fluke year, going back to laughingstock next year. and oh, almost forgot, LOL!

I'm out till tomorrow night, J35J can keep up the fight if he wants to.

I can see both sides of the argument here. 55 Mil? Yeah, too much for a Gil Meche. However, KC has gotta start somewhere and if that means overpaying decent to marginal FA's ..... so be it. You have to give them credit for at least trying something .... anything, ya know?

However, my beef is about about 'playing with fire' shot at Rutgers.

"4. Once a laughingstock, now enjoying a fluke year, going back to laughingstock next year. and oh, almost forgot, LOL!"

Fluke year? No, I think it's something called progression. In 2005 they managed to go 7 - 5 and almost beat ASU in the insight bowl. Not a BCS bowl, but still ... it's freakin Rutgers. Just making it to that point was a huge step forward for the program.

Nobody ever said turning around Rutgers would be an overnight process. I was actually in school when they first hired Schiano, and 2005 - 2006 are basically the fruits of his labor. The kids buy into his message and his system (look at the Defense, would you?) All the kids on his roster now are the kids he recruited and it takes a long time to produce a good, D - 1 program, but that's exactly what Schiano has done. He's finally managed to get a lot of kids to stay in - state (some of the best highschool football and players are right here in Jersey)and play at Rutgers. Due to his ties to the south Florida region, he's also managed to recruit that talented highschool football hotbed as well(the 2007 recruiting class is already shaping up to be very impressive tool)

For years people have been saying that Rutgers had the potential of a sleeping giant. And, due to what I said.... the resources, a very good school, the location, and the stable of homegrown talent. Fluke? Nah man, Rutgers is very much for real.
Midnight_Toker
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:15 am

Man, I was wee bit late to edit the Rutgers part out. I thought that would induce unnecessary non-Meche related posts here(and I can only blame myself).

And no, I'm not familiar with college football outside big 12. So I was just saying for the sake of it. And I really didn't know what I was talking about :-b
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:37 am

I just don't get the comparison to the Magglio deal. Did the Tigers overpay for Magglio? Yes. But they got a proven star with some serious injury concerns. Did the Royals overpay for Meche? Yes. And in return they got a mediocre pitcher.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:42 am

And if this contract is supposed to send a sign to offer FA that they are willing to spend why didn't the Sweeney contract do that?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:13 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:I'm out till tomorrow night, J35J can keep up the fight if he wants to.

Nahh, this is a losing battle that only KC fans seem to fully understand. I'll just leave it at that and let you, PlayingwithFire, to fend for yourself......sorry! :-D !+)

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers