Lilly and Cubs agree to 4-year, $40-million deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lilly and Cubs agree to 4-year, $40-million deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:36 pm

Thank you Chicago. With it down to Chicago and NYY, I'm so glad we aren't seeing Pavano Part II in the Bronx next year.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:55 am

tal1286 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
dcskater619 wrote:lol and i just noticed you said a shaky bullpen.. i would call eyre, howry, wood (if healthy), ohman, and wuertz above average. once again, you have no idea what your talking about. and no... zito's era is NOT guarenteed under 4.

so you have 2 above average relievers and nothing that resembles a closer. watch out national league!

To be fair, I think that if Howry were given a chance to close he would probably be really good.

he could defintely handle closer duties fairly well, but i think his s value is better utlized as a 2-IP guy
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby wrveres » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:42 am

AcidRock23 wrote:I also have some concerns that the unique environment of closing/relief, particularly if the buckets of money DO get the Cubs into 'contention' somehow, might lead him to push his frankenflipper farther than it should go and he will end up back on the DL too soon to help the team much.

this was the funniest thing in this whole thread, other than Lilly getting 10 million per of course .. .. :-b frankenflipper
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:05 am

wrveres wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:I also have some concerns that the unique environment of closing/relief, particularly if the buckets of money DO get the Cubs into 'contention' somehow, might lead him to push his frankenflipper farther than it should go and he will end up back on the DL too soon to help the team much.

this was the funniest thing in this whole thread, other than Lilly getting 10 million per of course .. .. :-b frankenflipper

and, it's a MONSTER!! Look what happened to Steve Stone.... 8-o
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby dcskater619 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:44 pm

nobody suited to be a closer? HA.. if dempster fails, we have howry, wood (if healthy), or even wuertz could close.. did u see his numbers from last year!?! era under 3, 1.2 WHIP, and more then a K per inning..
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Zito is God » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:46 pm

Its fairly hard to convert a MR to a closer. You don't just change mentalities mid career. Thats why so many have failed. Howry can be pretty good, everyone else is garbage assuming Wood can't get back to form.

The lilly deal looks worse after Marquis btw.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby dcskater619 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:08 am

Zito is God wrote:Its fairly hard to convert a MR to a closer. You don't just change mentalities mid career. Thats why so many have failed. Howry can be pretty good, everyone else is garbage assuming Wood can't get back to form.

The lilly deal looks worse after Marquis btw.

r u saying all closers started their careers closers? wuertz has had a couple great seasons of MR, thats where you realize he has a legit chance of being able to close games..
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:57 am

Look at the last highly rated MR the Cubs acquired and slotted into the closer spot:

Latroy Hawkins!! :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers