Lilly and Cubs agree to 4-year, $40-million deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lilly and Cubs agree to 4-year, $40-million deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby IllinoisBandit » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:51 pm

Eh, I don't think Lilly is better than Zito by any means, but I do think they're comparable. I like Lilly 1000 times better than Meche anyway. The Cubs are desperate for starting pitching other than Zambrano and Prior, and they didn't give out a desperate contract IMO, so I would call this a win for them.

And I would have to agree with a previous poster that with the exception of Dempster, who is beyond horrible, the Cubs have a pretty impressive pen.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:30 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:Eh, I don't think Lilly is better than Zito by any means, but I do think they're comparable. I like Lilly 1000 times better than Meche anyway. The Cubs are desperate for starting pitching other than Zambrano and Prior, and they didn't give out a desperate contract IMO, so I would call this a win for them.

And I would have to agree with a previous poster that with the exception of Dempster, who is beyond horrible, the Cubs have a pretty impressive pen.

Dempster isn't that horrible I'd welcome him on the rockies
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby IscartissueI » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:25 am

I've always liked Lilly. Although he has been an avarage pitcher up to this point, he has shown some promise throughout his carrer. He had a great september last year but hasnt yet been able to put it together. He's not the trash you cubsbashers are making him out to be. Just check out some of his games. Hes beatin up some pretty good teams last year (detroit, 1er 9ks 6ip 0bb) others similar along that line. Granted, he has also had his bad games for every good game but, in the end, I think Lilly and his contract will be worth it for the Cubs.
IscartissueI
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:46 am

So does this contract make him the early favorite for the Cy Young
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:05 am

acsguitar wrote:
IllinoisBandit wrote:Eh, I don't think Lilly is better than Zito by any means, but I do think they're comparable. I like Lilly 1000 times better than Meche anyway. The Cubs are desperate for starting pitching other than Zambrano and Prior, and they didn't give out a desperate contract IMO, so I would call this a win for them.

Dempster isn't that horrible I'd welcome him on the rockies

tell me your drunk. dempster in coors? that's crazy talk.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:08 am

please explain. the cubs have one really good middle reliever in howery and then nothing but players like wood and cotts that are long shots at best.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:45 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:

please explain. the cubs have one really good middle reliever in howery and then nothing but players like wood and cotts that are long shots at best.

Eyre is solid and lefty. Wood will be fine as a MR. His shoulder just can't handle a SP's workload. HOwry is solid. Cotts could be good, and has been spectacular for one year, so its a bit much to call him a longshot. if we coun't Wood and Cotts as .5 each, thats still 3 total solid pen arms. much more than most teams can claim.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:49 am

I am not totally comfortable rating Wood's arm as 'solid'. He seems prone to getting in jams and either striking everybody out OR losing it and flipping out and giving up a bunch of runs.

I also have some concerns that the unique environment of closing/relief, particularly if the buckets of money DO get the Cubs into 'contention' somehow, might lead him to push his frankenflipper farther than it should go and he will end up back on the DL too soon to help the team much.

That being said, he also seems capable of brilliant innings (often in the same games as the meltdowns...) and, if he can wrap his head around his new role, I think that he could be a very good fit. I don't see Dempster lasting, he walked himself into too many jams last year.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:47 am

RugbyD wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

Eyre is solid and lefty. Wood will be fine as a MR. His shoulder just can't handle a SP's workload. HOwry is solid. Cotts could be good, and has been spectacular for one year, so its a bit much to call him a longshot. if we coun't Wood and Cotts as .5 each, thats still 3 total solid pen arms. much more than most teams can claim.

actually eyre isnt solid. the guy had one good year, at 35 years old, so of course hendry had to have him.

it sounds like your ok with hendry depending on kerry wood to carry a load this year. sorry to say but that's just typical cub fan talk. anyone being realistic has to realize that wood being a significant factor for a team is most likely not going to happen.

as for cotts, i think it's a classic example of a league figuring him out. the guy got by on flawless mechanics for one year. the fact is he doesn't have "stuff" on the ball. he throws two mediocore pitches, that float right down the pipe. i wouldn't expect much from him.

have fun being the texas rangers cubs.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:07 pm

RugbyD wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

I don't see Wood staying healthy all season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers