Lilly and Cubs agree to 4-year, $40-million deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lilly and Cubs agree to 4-year, $40-million deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lilly and Cubs agree to 4-year, $40-million deal

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:18 pm

Rotoworld wrote:The Cubs and Ted Lilly have reached a preliminary agreement on a four-year, $40 million contract, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal is reporting.
Well, this afternoon's reports weren't entirely accurate if this is the case, as Lilly supposedly preferred a four-year, $40 million contract from the Yankees to four years and $44 million from the Cubs. However, it seems likely that part of those reports were true, and the Yankees simply decided it wasn't worth it, especially with Andy Pettitte potentially on the horizon. Dec. 6 - 8:08 pm et
Source: FOXSports.com
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:20 pm

OK everyone is going to rag on this signing (I think) but I think it's a good one. Lilly will do well in the NL.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:22 pm

Lilly will do OK in the NL, but wow $10 million a year. 8-o
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby noseeum » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:24 pm

Really bad year for the Cubs to suddenly decide to open their wallets. They still don't look like a playoff team, but they sure did spend like one.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:29 pm

Amazinz wrote:OK everyone is going to rag on this signing (I think) but I think it's a good one. Lilly will do well in the NL.

I actually agree. If the Cubs want to contend (and it's clear that that's their intention), then they can't be half-assed about it. Lilly put up a 4.31 ERA and 4.06 ERA in the AL East his last two healthy years (he was never really right in '05). Stick him in the NL Central, and he should be able to put up an ERA around 3.75 to 4.00.

Also, I think it's a good move on the Cubs' part to have signed Lilly rather than Meche (assuming that they don't now go and sign Meche, which certainly isn't a given). People have been lumping Lilly and Meche into the same category this off-season, but Lilly has been a significantly better pitcher the past few years (again, I'm not really focusing on Lilly's '05 here). I just hope this doesn't mean that the Yankees sign Meche. :-o
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:29 pm

noseeum wrote:Really bad year for the Cubs to suddenly decide to open their wallets. They still don't look like a playoff team, but they sure did spend like one.

Yeah, they should have waited until next year but they are trying to sell the team.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 108)

Postby ayebatter » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:31 pm

Amazinz wrote:OK everyone is going to rag on this signing (I think) but I think it's a good one. Lilly will do well in the NL.

Ya, he should face the pitchers spot about 100 times next yr. }:-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1638)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:33 pm

As a Cardinal fan I love this signing. A career ERA of 4.56 and he has never topped 200 innings. And for only $10 million a year. :-P
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby noseeum » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:37 pm

Individually, each deal they've signed is not criminal, but the sum total is ugly, IMO.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WittyC » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:40 pm

I'm not too sweet on this deal, as I would rather have seen the Cubs spend half the cash on Ohka or Radke... but at least it's another arm. :*)
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers