Global Warming - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Global Warming

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Global Warming

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:35 pm

So... I saw the movie by Al Gore recently and I am very intrigued. Does anyone have any more insight on the problem and how serious it is?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Global Warming

Postby Coppermine » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:41 pm

Yoda wrote:So... I saw the movie by Al Gore recently and I am very intrigued. Does anyone have any more insight on the problem and how serious it is?

Liberal propoganda
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:43 pm

The earth is warming. The science behind it is rock solid. The speed is the question.

This year was the lowest hurricane season in 10 years but its the warmest its been in the alps in 1300 years.

Ive also heard people say that the mountains here in colorado don't have as much snow as they did 20 years ago.

Were all gonna die
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: Global Warming

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:46 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Yoda wrote:So... I saw the movie by Al Gore recently and I am very intrigued. Does anyone have any more insight on the problem and how serious it is?

Liberal propoganda

Do you live under a rock? I think I saw you once... :-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coppermine » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:47 pm

Neil Sheppard of NewsBusters wrote:This is pretty hysterical, folks, and certainly requires all drinking vessels to be placed at a safe distance from nearby electronic equipment. Laurie David, the global warming alarmist and spouse of comedian Larry David (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”), wrote an op-ed published in Sunday’s Washington Post. In it, she stated that the company which produced Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth” wanted to donate 50,000 DVD copies of the schlockumentary to the National Science Teachers Association so that educators around the country could brainwash America’s youth with Gore’s junk science. Thankfully, the NSTA said, “No Thanks”: “In their e-mail rejection, they expressed concern that other ‘special interests’ might ask to distribute materials, too; they said they didn't want to offer ‘political’ endorsement of the film; and they saw ‘little, if any, benefit to NSTA or its members’ in accepting the free DVDs.” Can I get a group “Hallelujah?”

HALLELUJA Neil! You da man! Now you can go back to putting stickers on science textbooks debunking evolution. Oh man, evolution, global warming... what's next? Flag burning!?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby roninmedia » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:49 pm

Also check out global dimming. It is very much relevant to any interest in global warming.

All our pollution above us is reflecting some of the sun's rays slightly masking the effects of warming.

In words from Futurama: (Not sure of the exact quote word by word, here it goes)
Fry: "I'm glad global warming never happened"
Leela" "Oh, it did, but thankfully nuclear winter canceled it out"
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:51 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Neil Sheppard of NewsBusters wrote:This is pretty hysterical, folks, and certainly requires all drinking vessels to be placed at a safe distance from nearby electronic equipment. Laurie David, the global warming alarmist and spouse of comedian Larry David (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”), wrote an op-ed published in Sunday’s Washington Post. In it, she stated that the company which produced Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth” wanted to donate 50,000 DVD copies of the schlockumentary to the National Science Teachers Association so that educators around the country could brainwash America’s youth with Gore’s junk science. Thankfully, the NSTA said, “No Thanks”: “In their e-mail rejection, they expressed concern that other ‘special interests’ might ask to distribute materials, too; they said they didn't want to offer ‘political’ endorsement of the film; and they saw ‘little, if any, benefit to NSTA or its members’ in accepting the free DVDs.” Can I get a group “Hallelujah?”

HALLELUJA Neil! You da man! Now you can go back to putting stickers on science textbooks debunking evolution. Oh man, evolution, global warming... what's next? Flag burning!?

Jesus didn't want Global Warming therefore it doesn't exist
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:17 pm

as far as i can tell:

1) the earth is warming

2) human activity does contribute

3) how much human activity contributes is unknown and estimates vary greatly

4) The environmental impact of economic countermeasures (Kyoto Treaty and such) will be minimal. The fact that we must continue to emit greenhouse gasses in both the civilized and (more impactfully) developing world to survive makes the relative impact of reductions likely negligible in a real scenario. Collaborative measures to restrict production of anything will not work because countries will always cheat and defeat the purpose. OPEC is one example. The immediate failure of the EU ETS experiment is another.

5) Predicting the weather past one week, let alone past one year, always seemed like a ridiculous proposition to me, especially given the fact that the earth has always had natural warming and cooling cycles and that climatologists were ranting and raving about the threat of global cooling not that long ago.

6) Alarmist climatologists were blaming 2005 hurricane severity on global warming and predicting a horrible 2006 because of global warming. 2006 ended up being one of the wimpier hurricane seasons in quite some time.

7) Chicken Little, in all his historical forms, is wrong at least 99.9% of the time. No, dammit, the end is not near.

8) There is no 'consensus' as many like to claim. This is not to say that the majority is wrong, but rather it looks more like groupthink than consensus to me at this juncture.

9) There are plenty of studies that contradict each other and the science is still evolving. There are financial interests on all sides of the debate, so claiming someone is in the pocket of so-and-so is a useless exercise except in the most blatant of cases.

10) Al Gore did not invent the internet, which Ted Stevens seems to think is 'a series of tubes'.

11) There are a good number of critiques of the movie out there that are worth reading for balance.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:22 pm

I do find it funny that groups adamently deny and fight against the theory.

Why are they fighting against it?

Is it because the H3 can't run on an electric batter? Probably
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:04 pm

acsguitar wrote:I do find it funny that groups adamently deny and fight against the theory.

Why are they fighting against it?

Is it because the H3 can't run on an electric batter? Probably

Their Hummers can probably run on trans fatty acids though. :-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk