CNET Editor James Kim Found Dead - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

CNET Editor James Kim Found Dead

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CNET Editor James Kim Found Dead

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:49 pm

Sad Story: Just confirmed via KGW TV

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/k ... 404ac.html

One lesson to learn from the story in case you haven't kept up with it.

James and his family were told "NOT" to take the road they took by a park official and they did anyways.

You have to listen to Park officials when it comes to wilderness travel. Sad story anyways
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:09 pm

What happened again? I know they were missing but did they get lost in the forest?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:12 pm

Yoda wrote:What happened again? I know they were missing but did they get lost in the forest?

Off the top of my head. The family was vacationing and Kim wanted to take a scenic road to see the ocean?

The forest ranger told them that he did not recommend going on the road, in what looks like a sedan, as it was getting dark (Negating views) and also because the road was not good this time of year.

Kim went anyways and they got stuck. Kim went for help and had been lost ever since.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:16 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Yoda wrote:What happened again? I know they were missing but did they get lost in the forest?

Off the top of my head. The family was vacationing and Kim wanted to take a scenic road to see the ocean?

The forest ranger told them that he did not recommend going on the road, in what looks like a sedan, as it was getting dark (Negating views) and also because the road was not good this time of year.

Kim went anyways and they got stuck. Kim went for help and had been lost ever since.

foul play or no?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:20 pm

acsguitar wrote:

His wife and kids were found alive monday. I guess Kim tried to go for help on saturday. They found his body today.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:36 pm

He did a video review of my cell phone :,-(

Arrangements are being made to transport Kim to an undisclosed location, according to police. Kim had been missing in the remote southwestern Oregon wilderness for 11 days. The Kim family has asked not to be contacted at this time.

"They have been true champions throughout this whole ordeal," Josephine County Undersheriff Brian Anderson said of the family at a press conference. "We just want them to know our prayers have been with them from day one."

After being rescued in good condition Monday, Kim's 30-year-old wife, Kati, and daughters Penelope (4 years) and Sabine (7 months) have been reunited with family members. Kati Kim suffered frostbite on two toes, but will not lose those toes, according to a close family friend. James Kim, 35, left the stranded family car Saturday morning to search for help.

While stranded, the family stayed warm using the car heater, then burned tires when they ran out of gas, authorities said. Kati Kim also nursed the girls.

James Kim, Kati, Penelope and Sabine left their home in San Francisco two weeks ago on a Thanksgiving road trip to the Pacific Northwest. They had been last seen on the Saturday after the holiday in Portland and later at a Denny's restaurant in Roseburg, according to a San Francisco Police Department missing persons report.

The family was expected to return to San Francisco on November 27. When both James and Kati failed to show up for appointments on November 28, co-workers began to worry for their safety. The Kims are known for keeping in touch daily with their friends and co-workers, either by phone or e-mail.

Throughout the Kims' ordeal, messages of support and concern have continued to pour in by the hundreds to CNET, as well as to a Web site set up by family and friends. The site was available only intermittedly following release of the news Wednesday.

James Kim was a senior editor covering digital audio who also co-hosted a weekly video podcast for the Crave gadgets blog. He had been writing a book on Microsoft's Zune MP3 player. Formerly, he was an on-air personality on the now-defunct cable television network TechTV.

Upon hearing the news, CNET readers immediately began to post their condolences on message boards and via e-mails.

"My family and I will continue to pray for James' family...When I try to put myself in his shoes, I think James did what every parent would do for his family. James, God bless," one reader wrote.

Wrote another: "Please realize that there were so many people praying for his safe return...I'm sorry!"
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:42 pm

This all happened near where I live, and because of my job, I've been following this closely. It's sad that they weren't able to find the guy alive, but it was great that his wife and daughters were all rescued in good health.

Where did you hear that a park ranger explicitly told him not to go any farther on the road? I haven't heard anything about that.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby roninmedia » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:37 pm

Not to come off as an insensitive jerk, but I was expecting this once I heard the details of the story.

Snowing, rugged terrain and he went off alone to find help for his family. And he left clothes as he moved as clues. All in all, not very good signs. It is hard to survive that long in the wilderness even when you're prepared.

Sad story, nonetheless.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:48 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:This all happened near where I live, and because of my job, I've been following this closely. It's sad that they weren't able to find the guy alive, but it was great that his wife and daughters were all rescued in good health.

Where did you hear that a park ranger explicitly told him not to go any farther on the road? I haven't heard anything about that.

http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6141107 ... ag=nl.e497

Warned about dangerous road
The Kims were warned that the Bear Camp Road was dangerous this time of year when they stopped into the Wilsonville Chamber of Commerce about 20 miles south of Portland, Ore., on November 25 around 1:30 p.m. PST, Mark Ottenad, executive director of the Wilsonville Chamber of Commerce, said Wednesday.

The employee working that day gave the Kims a copy of the Oregon State Department of Transportation highway map, Ottenad said.

James Kim "asked what would be scenic road and (the employee)highlighted the Agness-Galice Road, but cautioned against trying to travel on that road this time of year," Ottenad said. "Instead, she recommended staying to the main roads--Highway 38 or Highway 42," especially as it was late in the day and it would be dark soon.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:15 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:This all happened near where I live, and because of my job, I've been following this closely. It's sad that they weren't able to find the guy alive, but it was great that his wife and daughters were all rescued in good health.

http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6141107 ... ag=nl.e497

Warned about dangerous road
The Kims were warned that the Bear Camp Road was dangerous this time of year when they stopped into the Wilsonville Chamber of Commerce about 20 miles south of Portland, Ore., on November 25 around 1:30 p.m. PST, Mark Ottenad, executive director of the Wilsonville Chamber of Commerce, said Wednesday.

The employee working that day gave the Kims a copy of the Oregon State Department of Transportation highway map, Ottenad said.

James Kim "asked what would be scenic road and (the employee)highlighted the Agness-Galice Road, but cautioned against trying to travel on that road this time of year," Ottenad said. "Instead, she recommended staying to the main roads--Highway 38 or Highway 42," especially as it was late in the day and it would be dark soon.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but having an employee at the Wilsonville Chamber of Commerce highlight the route they died on, then "caution against trying to travel on that road" isn't the same as being told not to take the road by a park ranger. In any case, it was a bad idea, and I'm just arguing semantics now, which is a horrible habit of mine.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk