NYC Bans Trans Fat!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

NYC Bans Trans Fat!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:34 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
RugbyD wrote:nobody owes you a particular choice in burger any more I am owed one loaded with transfats if that's what I want. There was nobody demanding legislation forcing companies to create foods with longer shelf lifes. the product simply evolved on its own. specifically labeled trans-fat-free products are already evolving on their own quite well without the goverment forcing the issue, so why bother? because you find it inconvenient to your personal desires? keep your will off the cheap, tasty burger I'm more than happy to pay for and eat. why do you want to take it away from me?

it is much easier for people to complain and demand from others than put forth an effort to create and leave others alone.

i dont want to take the trans fat burger from you. i enjoy them in moderation myself. what i want is a choice. i feel i am owed that choice when trans fat represents a significant health risk.

this extends beyond just the McD's value menu. trans fats are increasingly pervasive in food items and are difficult to limit without a vegetarian/vegan diet. corporate america has been ramming it down our throats and has often been deceptive in doing so. several fast food places announced initiatives to change to non-trans fat oils, declared time lines, and then never publicized that they abandoned or delayed the initiatives leading people to believe the trans fats were eliminated or reduced. even the words "zero trans fat" dont actually mean there is no trans fat in a product.

to put it simply, i dont think its about a choice in burgers. i think it is a legitimate publicly health issue.

trans fats are not a public heath issue. trans fats hainging out in a box on a shelf or in a burger on the rack pose zero health risk.

trans fats are a personal health issue. people who choose to consume trans-fats in substantial quantities are a health risk to themselves.

people who are too lazy to scan the ingredients list for the word 'hydrogenated' are owed nothing.

corporate america hasn't rammed anything down our throats that we were not already all too happy to consume in varying quantities. if people refuse to eat transfats, corporations will not produce them. There is tons of food out there with limited or no trans fats. I know this because I eat them every single day with extremely minimal effort on my part and i am as opposite of vegan as you can get.

if, upon request, any eating establishment declines to itemize every single ingredient for you, or even simply declines to say whether or not a menu item contains a material amount of trans fats, feel free not to eat there. to utter the question requires an extremely minimal effort on your part that you should be happy to exert if you care as much about your health as you appear to claim to.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:08 pm

If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:31 pm

Coppermine wrote:Image

Seriously I'm 5'8ish 175 and I ski every and eat pretty healthy and I feel like a fat arse living here.

Everyone is really skinny. You don't see many fat people.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bleach168 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:34 pm

See, that's the problem. Only 25% of people in America are obese. Once that figure rises to 51%, they will control Congress and force everyone to eat more transfat! Yum!
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:37 pm

well, i happen to disagree with you on the relative ease of limiting trans fat in your diet.

RugbyD wrote:
corporate america hasn't rammed anything down our throats that we were not already all too happy to consume in varying quantities. if people refuse to eat transfats, corporations will not produce them.

people were more than happy to keep using lead based paints, even after the dangers were known. should we bring that back? sometimes the government needs to take an action before waiting for corporate america to get around to doing it. increasing numbers of people are demanding reduced trans fat and better labeling of trans fat. US food lobbies are doing their best to defeat those measures. they fought the required separate labeling of trans fat for over a decade.

i am not terribly fond of the government telling me what to do. i am not terribly fond of corporate america telling me what to eat either. honestly, i think when its all said and done trans fat will be known as one of the bigger public health scandals of our time.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:39 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:well, i happen to disagree with you on the relative ease of limiting trans fat in your diet.

RugbyD wrote:
corporate america hasn't rammed anything down our throats that we were not already all too happy to consume in varying quantities. if people refuse to eat transfats, corporations will not produce them.

people were more than happy to keep using lead based paints, even after the dangers were known. should we bring that back? sometimes the government needs to take an action before waiting for corporate america to get around to doing it. increasing numbers of people are demanding reduced trans fat and better labeling of trans fat. US food lobbies are doing their best to defeat those measures. they fought the required separate labeling of trans fat for over a decade.

i am not terribly fond of the government telling me what to do. i am not terribly fond of corporate america telling me what to eat either. honestly, i think when its all said and done trans fat will be known as one of the bigger public health scandals of our time.

That's an excellent point there mcnugent... Rugby, your retort!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:51 pm

I really wanted Fried chicken today but I got a smoothy mostly cause of this thread and partly because the fried chicken place was 100 yards from where I parked and the smoothy place was only about 20 feet away
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:14 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:well, i happen to disagree with you on the relative ease of limiting trans fat in your diet.

you need to broaden you grocery experience. it is incredibly easy. there is no need to completely eliminate trans fats, but limiting them to a minimum requires nothing more than looking at a label.

RugbyD wrote:corporate america hasn't rammed anything down our throats that we were not already all too happy to consume in varying quantities. if people refuse to eat transfats, corporations will not produce them.

people were more than happy to keep using lead based paints, even after the dangers were known. should we bring that back?

if people choose to use lead paint even if they are fully aware of the danger, so be it. for whatever reason, they are content with the risk so they deserve what's coming to them.

increasing numbers of people are demanding reduced trans fat and better labeling of trans fat. US food lobbies are doing their best to defeat those measures.

of course they are, and more power to them. i would fight like hell if the govt wanted me to redo all my packaging for someting that is already clearly listed on my packaging. the listing for trans fats is clear as day. look for one simple word: hydrogenated. there is no hiding it. its right there in the ingredients section. no funny business anywhere. if this is insufficient, then why bother at all with the whole Nutrition Facts section? people requesting this so-called better labeling on packaging are doing it out of pure laziness, not because there is actually something to bitch about. its right there on the box.

honestly, i think when its all said and done trans fat will be known as one of the bigger public health scandals of our time.

how can something be a scandal if it is so easy to identify and put down? it has no physically addictive properties. i don't recall companies funding bogus studies that show it wasn't bad for you. i don't see any trans fat health effect deniers making a stink. what am i missing that this is so nefarious?[/quote]
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby RugbyD » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:16 pm

acsguitar wrote:I really wanted Fried chicken today but I got a smoothy mostly cause of this thread and partly because the fried chicken place was 100 yards from where I parked and the smoothy place was only about 20 feet away

if acs is capable of exercising discretion, then i think jd and everyone else can too. bravo! i applaud your taking responsibility for yourself! ;-D
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby RugbyD » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:18 pm

as a side note, things fried in lard taste much better than if they were fried in hydrogenated oils. if you are going to take the plunge, do it the right way. :-)
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk