Pelfrey vs. Garza - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Pelfrey vs. Garza

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pelfrey vs. Garza

Postby shortsavage » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:31 am

I think I've had about 15 Mike Pelfrey vs. Matt Garza debates over the last week, so I decided to begin to tackle the topic by writing a column -- with the help of some Project Prospect regulars.

Here's a link:

http://www.projectprospect.com/rbtb12-5/

I also got into keeper second basemen in this column -- again with the help of some PP posters.

Who would you take: Mike Pelfrey of Matt Garza?

Do you think Rickie Weeks and Howie Kendrick are the best keeper 2B not named Utley? Are Weeks and Kendrick close for you?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:49 am

I take Garza over Pelfrey by a very slim margin and could be talked into switching the two.

I really really like both Weeks and Kendrick. I cant imagine a better 2B keeper outside of Utley. Other than those three, I really like Cano and am somewhat jumping on his bandwagon this year. I really think Weeks has serious star power that could explode as early as this year.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:19 am

I haven't seen Pelfrey pitch in person very much at all so I don't really have a grasp on what kind of stuff he has. I've seen Garza pitch a few times and I think he definately has the "potential stuff" to become an ace but pretty much all of his secondary pitches are a work in progress.... though when he can get them over they are all plus pitches. From what I've heard about Pelfrey he seems to be very similar. If I had to choose I would probably take Pelfrey on the sole factor that he is in the NL and in a great pitchers park!

Hhhmmmm.... Weeks vs Kendrick....... I think this comparison is totally dependent on what my team already looks like or maybe what my current keepers look like. I think Weeks is the biggest risk/reward guy and Kendrick probably has the better chance of being more consistant. I would probably lean toward Kendrick because while he might be the "surer" thing his upside is also quite high!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Pelfrey

Postby nathan050904 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:11 pm

I think right now Garza is more polished then Pelfrey. Pelfrey's secondary stuff needs more work however, I think given time he'll make the adjustments. Since, I am someone who likes upside and my gut tells me that Garza is being overrated by most "experts" I am going to go with Pelfrey. However, for me Pelfrey isn't a top 5 pitching prospect yet. I'd probably put him in the 8-10 range. Theres still alot of work that has to be done but, the skills are there.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:18 pm

I have Pelfrey at 5, behind Hughes, Bailey, Gallardo, and Garza.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby nathan050904 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:29 pm

Really, you rate Gallardo that high? I was thinking maybe #5

Hughes, Bailey, .... Gallardo....

You think hes the top of the next tier just behind Hughes and Bailey?

Future ace? BA 2006 Prospect Handbook did compare him to a #2 starter in the mold of Mike Mussina has he gone beyond that?
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:57 pm

I think Pelfrey has more potential than Garza does at being an ace. People are in love with Garza because of how well he did in the minors while Pelfrey as facing tougr minor leaguers and then big league talent. Then when Garza got called up to the MLB and did about as well as Pelfrey did, Pelfrey was injured. If Pelfrey was in the minors A - MLB the whole year he would have dominated.

01. Bailey
02. Hughes
03. Pelfrey
04. Ad. Miller
05. Garza
06. Gallardo
07. Elbert
08. An. Miller
09. Lincecum
10. Hochevar
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:35 pm

I still like Pelfrey over Garza. In my preliminary rankings for the next year, Pelfrey is #4 and Garza #5, so they are really close. Pelfrey gets the edge for me due to NL and ballpark conditions. I think Garza will be good as well, but possibly not the ace that Pelfrey could become. Of course with Santana in Minnesota, Garza will never be needed to become the ace.

As far as the 2nd basemen go, I would go with Weeks purely for his power and speed combo that could blossom and make him a star. Kendrick will be good, but Weeks could be special, and I usually like to take some chances with the young guys.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FalcoAtL » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:09 am

raiders_umpire wrote:I still like Pelfrey over Garza. In my preliminary rankings for the next year, Pelfrey is #4 and Garza #5, so they are really close. Pelfrey gets the edge for me due to NL and ballpark conditions. I think Garza will be good as well, but possibly not the ace that Pelfrey could become. Of course with Santana in Minnesota, Garza will never be needed to become the ace.

As far as the 2nd basemen go, I would go with Weeks purely for his power and speed combo that could blossom and make him a star. Kendrick will be good, but Weeks could be special, and I usually like to take some chances with the young guys.

What type of rankings are you making? Just wondering because technically Garza and Pelfry aren't really prospects anymore.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigboy1234 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:17 am

FalcoAtL wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:I still like Pelfrey over Garza. In my preliminary rankings for the next year, Pelfrey is #4 and Garza #5, so they are really close. Pelfrey gets the edge for me due to NL and ballpark conditions. I think Garza will be good as well, but possibly not the ace that Pelfrey could become. Of course with Santana in Minnesota, Garza will never be needed to become the ace.

What type of rankings are you making? Just wondering because technically Garza and Pelfry aren't really prospects anymore.

Technically yes they both are, you have to exceed 50 IP to not be a considered a prospect, and neither have exceeded 50 IP, although oddly Garza has exactly 50, so he is still a prospect.
bigboy1234
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Eagle Eye

Return to Minor League & College Baseball