To Wii or not to Wii? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

To Wii or not to Wii?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

To Wii or not to Wii?

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:28 pm

I'm asking all of you who have played and/or own the Nintendo Wii whether this purchase is worth it? I'm strongly considering picking one up this holiday season, and I'm just curious as to how everyone enjoys theirs. Also, a main question of mine is whether people like the new controller and how this changes the gameplay.

Any advice would be great. If you approve of this system and think it is worth it, what games would you reccommend? Thanks.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:39 pm

Well what type of gamer are you??

If you like fun games that focus on gameplay rather then graphics go with the Wii

The controller is really fun to play with. My girlfriend loved it as well.

I'll probably buy one after Xmas.

However, I am worried that I will not enjoy the graphics quality so I may save up to build a gaming box PC for 1600.

I say go for it if you can afford it
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:04 pm

Graphics aren't overly important to me - I'm not going to be playing any system on any hi-tech equipment, it will just be my 27" old school non-HD tube TV.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:09 pm

I love mine.

The new controller is so much fun- the old button pushing controllers seem so... out of touch to me now. Actually moving and swinging your hands around makes me feel much more involved in the game.

I would definitely, definitely recommend you get a Wii, if you are at all a Nintendo fan. ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:50 pm

It is a lot of fun and I definitely made the right choice. I hate wasting money on games but I felt like the Wii will be more interactive and fun. I play heavy PC games and I think the Wii will definitely change the way you play games.

My wife and I spent hours creating Mii's (caricature of yourself) of everyone we know. And you can use them in Wii Sports and I am sure in other games in the future.

A lot of games nowadays are very complex and have steep learning curves. I was trying to figure out how to play Ace Combat 4 for PS2 for instance and I gave up because I would need to invest 3-4 hours just to learn how to fly the jet. It's tough to pick up games like that and just play with people over your house and have fun.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:09 pm

I've always been a big fan of Nintendo, though I never owned a GC. I miss the days sitting around playing games like Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Smash Brothers, The New Tetris, etc. And games like Mario 64 and Goldeneye 007 hold a special place in my heart along with the classics released for the NES. I feel like I may just have to pick up a Wii for nostaglia purposes.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm

pokerplaya wrote:I've always been a big fan of Nintendo, though I never owned a GC. I miss the days sitting around playing games like Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Smash Brothers, The New Tetris, etc. And games like Mario 64 and Goldeneye 007 hold a special place in my heart along with the classics released for the NES. I feel like I may just have to pick up a Wii for nostaglia purposes.

Yeah I haven't owned a Nintendo since PS came out. There were better sports games and since I was in college, it was a better buy at the time. Then I got the PS2 naturally but I grew pretty tired of it. I stopped playing the rehashed EA Sports and there were not many fun games outside of GTA.

I like the fact that Nintendo is bringing back old games. I can catch up on all the Zelda, Metroid, SMB brothers and to be able to play all those on one system alone is worth the buy IMO.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mugrila » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:47 pm

I played one and I think it's awesome. Boxing was cool, tennis was good, golf was cool, others like bowling were ok. This was all on one sports bundle, so I haven't played any other games but I'm the type that would rather have fun than worry about graphics and stuff like that. I'll be getting one in the future. ;-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:59 pm

Mugrila wrote:I played one and I think it's awesome. Boxing was cool, tennis was good, golf was cool, others like bowling were ok. This was all on one sports bundle, so I haven't played any other games but I'm the type that would rather have fun than worry about graphics and stuff like that. I'll be getting one in the future. ;-D

In the past sports video games, there was always a power meter and accuracy meter of some sort that you needed to push the button at the correct level.

Now, you actually go through the motion of swinging or throwing or whatever and you have to control your speed and timing. So it is much more immersive to actually go through the motion than to watch a meter and pushing buttons.

Bowling is definitely the most fun followed by tennis, golf, baseball and boxing for me. Keep in mind that these are much more fun against human players. As you get better at the games, you can put spins on the ball and vary speeds, etc.

As a pretty avid golfer, I can't wait to see future golf games. If they can accurately record your swing path and speed, then it will be a great simulator.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RynMan » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:00 pm

I have been living under a PC-rock the last year or so, so I am way out of tune with the consoles. I have no interest in grabbing an Xbox 360, but the Wii (from what you guys are saying) sounds different. My girlfriend loves the old skool games that the N64 used to have, so maybe this console would get her attention?

With the controls, do you just use them like a normal controller? Or are they motion activated in which you can swing them around to cause player movements? They look like remote controls, without any ergonomics whatsoever.....but you guys seemed to think they were okay?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Video Games