Twins pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Twins pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Twins pitchers

Postby Savoy Special » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:58 am

Can you talk a little about the 4 young guys the Twins have?
Garza
Slowey
Perkins
Swarzak

It seems as though Garza is projected to be the best, but can anybody give some in depth info as to how they throw, what they are good at, and how they project as far as their career.
Savoy Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FalcoAtL » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:17 am

Anthony Swarzak - Has a great 93-95 mph fastball and a pretty good curve. Drafted out of high school, he really showed a lot of poise in his first 3 seasons professionally. Each year he has posted great K/BB ratios, though he hit a rough patch in his first look at High A. Of the above four he projects to be the third best IMO. Probably will be a No. 3 or 4 starter.

Glen Perkins - Unlike Swarzak, Perkins relies more on control. Has a decent fastball, usually around 88-91. Also has a decent curve and a very good change. Struggled when he reached AA, just like Swarzak, but next year, although posting a great K/BB ratio, was not able to baffle hitters as he did in the previous 2 seasons. Hitters really seemed to figure out his change. Going into the end of the season though, he was really able to shine, thus the reason he earned a promotion to the majors. He is the worst of the above 4 guys IMO and probably projects as a 4 or 5 guy.

Kevin Slowey - Personally I really like the upside of this guy. Another big time control guy he also has a fastball that hovers around the 88-92 range. His frame though, could allow him to significantly improve the velocity of this pitch. Unlike Perkins, Slowey does not rely so heavily on his change and has great out pitch in his slider. Will probably start at AA in '07 and could reach the majors by the end of the year if he has continued success. Probably second best right behind Garza and projects as a 2 or 3 guy IMO.
Last edited by FalcoAtL on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby shortsavage » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:51 pm

Baseball America ranked Perkins No. 2 in the Twins system...a little lefty love.

It's Garza, Slowey, Swarzak, and then Perkins for me.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby FalcoAtL » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:02 pm

shortsavage wrote:Baseball America ranked Perkins No. 2 in the Twins system...a little lefty love.

It's Garza, Slowey, Swarzak, and then Perkins for me.

Yeah, I got Slowey and Swarzak completely mixed up. I agree with that order. Perkins just doesn't have as much upside.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BlueBandit24 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:30 pm

I'll take Garza followed by Slowey, Swarzak, and Perkins. Perkins just seems to go through periods where he really struggles, and then periods when he can dominate. I am not a fan of the inconsistency, but if he can find consistency, I'll move him up the list. We'll probably get a long look at Garza and possibly Perkins in the rotation this year. Slowey is a mid to late season call-up candidate, Swarzak has an outside shot as well.

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dicehound » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:29 pm

what do you guys think of Scott Baker? Sickels is still pretty high on him, and he did pretty good spening time in AAA last year. Does he have a rotation spot in Minnesota this year?
dicehound
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:57 pm

dicehound wrote:what do you guys think of Scott Baker? Sickels is still pretty high on him, and he did pretty good spening time in AAA last year. Does he have a rotation spot in Minnesota this year?

He's in the running, but he has soured on the coaching staff. He has had good stints in the minors along with a solid major league debut in 2005, but this past year he really struggled and had many questioning whether he had what it takes mentally. If he puts it all together, he should settle into the 4th or 5th rotation spot, but he will have a short leash.

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Koby Schellenger » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:56 pm

dicehound wrote:what do you guys think of Scott Baker? Sickels is still pretty high on him, and he did pretty good spening time in AAA last year. Does he have a rotation spot in Minnesota this year?

I'd say at this point I can't see anything standing in the way of him being a starter in 2007. But I don't think he'll be a starter when some of the younger guys come through and Liriano is back.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Savoy Special » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:39 pm

Thoughts on Boof Bonser? Better than Baker? Where does he slot in with Twins pitchers?

Santana
Liriano
Garza
Slowey
Swarzak
Bonser
Perkins
Baker

Does this sound right?
Savoy Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FalcoAtL » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:45 pm

At this point I see it like this, but later on Bonser will be right around where Swarzak and Baker are. The others are just too good.

Santana
Liriano
Garza
Bonser
Slowey
Swarzak
Baker
Perkins
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner