I want a New TV! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I want a New TV!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:41 am

suppasonic wrote:I heard these were very affordable...

Image


is that 1080p?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby suppasonic » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:18 pm

acsguitar wrote:
suppasonic wrote:I heard these were very affordable...

Image


is that 1080p?


Yeah. 40 inch screen.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 1321
Joined: 8 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Over thurr.

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:19 am

DLP is a misconception... it's just LCD with a patented technology by TI. Circuit City employees hock it as having "brighter colors" than LCD, and while this may be true, the difference i negligible and may not be worth added cost.


Actually, when I was shopping TVs, the LCDs were hocked as having 'brighter colors', while DLP was said to have more 'true to life' colors. I was also told that DLP have faster framerates(?), I believe it was, making them better for watching things with action, such as sports. As a result, I got the 50" Samsung DLP HDTV, and have loved every second of it for a few months now.

Something to remember when buying a HDTV, is that you're gonna spend a lot more than the sticker price. My TV was something like $1600, and after tax, insurance plan, HD cables for audio and video as well as a set for my DVD player, a battery backup and good power strip, I ended up paying $2500.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24802
(Past Year: 388)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:07 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Actually, when I was shopping TVs, the LCDs were hocked as having 'brighter colors', while DLP was said to have more 'true to life' colors. I was also told that DLP have faster framerates(?), I believe it was, making them better for watching things with action, such as sports. As a result, I got the 50" Samsung DLP HDTV, and have loved every second of it for a few months now.

.


They can tell you it has faster framerates but you should read the tech descriptions on it.

Most gaming monitors are 8ms or below so you get no ghosting...I don't really konw about LCD TV's but i'd make sure mine was under 12ms
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby slomo007 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:13 pm

I would avoid DLP as well unless price is your main concern. Perhaps I have just not seen a properly setup one, but I have never seen a DLP come close to matching the picture of either a plasma or LCD. My preference is plasma, due to the darker blacks. I also don't care much for projections of any type.

Of course plasmas are probably the most expensive, so only go that route if you can afford it.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:15 pm

slomo007 wrote:I would avoid DLP as well unless price is your main concern. Perhaps I have just not seen a properly setup one, but I have never seen a DLP come close to matching the picture of either a plasma or LCD. My preference is plasma, due to the darker blacks. I also don't care much for projections of any type.

Of course plasmas are probably the most expensive, so only go that route if you can afford it.


Plasmas are definitly darker then the LCD's...However, I don't see the difference being worth hundreds of dollars.

I like the LCD's with the glass cover over the screen like the OLevia 40 Inch
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:07 pm

slomo007 wrote:I would avoid DLP as well unless price is your main concern. Perhaps I have just not seen a properly setup one, but I have never seen a DLP come close to matching the picture of either a plasma or LCD. My preference is plasma, due to the darker blacks. I also don't care much for projections of any type.

Of course plasmas are probably the most expensive, so only go that route if you can afford it.


i agree. as far as quality goes, none of the rear projection televisions can match plasma's black level. plasmas generally boast the highest contrast ratios of any of the competing technologies, which is one of the most important factors in picture quality.

the true cost to own is kind of confusing--

DLP, or any of the rear projection sets, require lamp/bulb replacements every couple of years. currently the bulbs are around $200-300. they should get cheaper as time goes on. some sets require a service tech to install the lamp while others can be done by the consumer. anyway, DLP is cheap up front but requires continual lamp replacements which decreases the price gap.

plasmas are energy hogs and can cost $30-$50 more than DLP and LCD per year in electricity.

LCD displays are cheaper than plasmas for the small sizes but for 40" and higher plasmas are cheaper than LCDs.

i would tend to stay away from the bargain brands. they may be cheaper up front but typically dont look as good and dont last as long.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3766
Joined: 1 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: bored at work

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Mon May 21, 2007 12:10 am

Okay, wow... I just made bank the last two days of online poker. (Let's just say I took my $100 deposit two weeks ago and turned it into ~$4k+. I was waiting until I had some excess money until I would make this purchase, and now I do. (Yay me!)

After allocating money to save, put in bank account, and keep in my online account, I'm left with ~$1600 for me to go crazy with. I'm looking to get a TV (32-37 in) and get a game system (Either 360 or Wii). I'd like to maximize and not just splurge it all to get the highest quality tv, but do want a solid one. So, recommendations before I go to best buy and see them first hand? What should I look for?
Image
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Musketeer
Posts: 2264
Joined: 6 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby RugbyD » Mon May 21, 2007 8:42 am

OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:Okay, wow... I just made bank the last two days of online poker. (Let's just say I took my $100 deposit two weeks ago and turned it into ~$4k+. I was waiting until I had some excess money until I would make this purchase, and now I do. (Yay me!)

After allocating money to save, put in bank account, and keep in my online account, I'm left with ~$1600 for me to go crazy with. I'm looking to get a TV (32-37 in) and get a game system (Either 360 or Wii). I'd like to maximize and not just splurge it all to get the highest quality tv, but do want a solid one. So, recommendations before I go to best buy and see them first hand? What should I look for?

Best Buy tends to carry the newest and therefore most expensive. I've been checking some stuff out myself for a purchase soon and Newegg has some previous iteration Samsung LCDs at good prices.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon May 21, 2007 9:45 am

I just went through this entire process and ended up getting an LCD. I got the 37" Aquos. Salespeople try to sell you these big honkin TVs but unless you live in the Rosebowl I wouldn't get anything bigger than that. You have to have a pretty damned big room to have a 45 or 50 incher. Sitting close to a huge TV really sucks.

I'm very happy with what I got but I've gotta say that HD really is overrated. I've seen it on plasmas, LCDs and dpis. They sure make it look good with the nature shows that they are always playing in the store but get it home and HD is just ok. The upgrade in TV will make a big difference but the difference b/w HD and regular channels is negligible (and yes I have the HD box, HD channels and the HDMI connection - still think that it is overrated).
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19542
(Past Year: 283)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Karrtertum and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Boston at Toronto
(12:37 pm)
Texas at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact