I want a New TV! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I want a New TV!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I want a New TV!

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:12 am

Okay, so what's the deal with the TV market? I want a new TV, but are prices going to drop soon for an LCD or HD TV? Does anyone know what's going to happen over the next couple months following XMas?
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I want a New TV!

Postby Coppermine » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:39 am

OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:Okay, so what's the deal with the TV market? I want a new TV, but are prices going to drop soon for an LCD or HD TV? Does anyone know what's going to happen over the next couple months following XMas?

There are a number of televisions that fit certain criteria you should know. First, everything is HDTV capable now... if it's not, you're wasting your life buying it, even if you don't have HDTV cable yet. You have to plan ahead, TV's last for many years.

Then, the types. You have:

CRT
Flat Tube
Projection
LCD Projection
LCD
DLP
Plasma

CRT is dead, this is your old TV... rounded screen, heavy, bulky. The flat tube is the newer wave of CRT televisions that are also heavy and bulky, but the screen itself isn't convex... it's flat. This is also outdated.

Old school projection is out dated. If you're not sitting directly in front of it, it's like watching TV in the desert.

LCD Projection is "not your father's projection." Viewing angles are better and the TV is light and relatively cheap for the size. HD is almost universally standard here.

LCD is the flat, hang on the wall televisions, but only go up to about 42" without killing your bank account. You have to get HD, and I'm not sure if they make any that aren't. $1000+ range here for 30" or more.

DLP is a misconception... it's just LCD with a patented technology by TI. Circuit City employees hock it as having "brighter colors" than LCD, and while this may be true, the difference i negligible and may not be worth added cost.

Plasma is basically LCD televisions that are bigger than 42" and are outrageously expensive. Then again, I could be wrong.

That's my run down.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:01 am

Coppermine wrote:
OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:Okay, so what's the deal with the TV market? I want a new TV, but are prices going to drop soon for an LCD or HD TV? Does anyone know what's going to happen over the next couple months following XMas?

There are a number of televisions that fit certain criteria you should know. First, everything is HDTV capable now... if it's not, you're wasting your life buying it, even if you don't have HDTV cable yet. You have to plan ahead, TV's last for many years.

CRT
Flat Tube
Projection
LCD Projection
LCD
DLP
Plasma

CRT is dead, this is your old TV... rounded screen, heavy, bulky. The flat tube is the newer wave of CRT televisions that are also heavy and bulky, but the screen itself isn't convex... it's flat. This is also outdated.

Old school projection is out dated. If you're not sitting directly in front of it, it's like watching TV in the desert.

LCD Projection is "not your father's projection." Viewing angles are better and the TV is light and relatively cheap for the size. HD is almost universally standard here.

LCD is the flat, hang on the wall televisions, but only go up to about 42" without killing your bank account. You have to get HD, and I'm not sure if they make any that aren't. $1000+ range here for 30" or more.

DLP is a misconception... it's just LCD with a patented technology by TI. Circuit City employees hock it as having "brighter colors" than LCD, and while this may be true, the difference i negligible and may not be worth added cost.

Plasma is basically LCD televisions that are bigger than 42" and are outrageously expensive. Then again, I could be wrong.

That's my run down.

Thanks for the info. Looking to get something in the 30-35" range and not kill my wallet at the same time. Guess I'll have to go to BB or CC and see which i prefer.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby Phatferd » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:10 am

Coppermine wrote:

CRT
Flat Tube
Projection
LCD Projection
LCD
DLP
Plasma

That's my run down.

Not totally accurate Cu...

Plasma is cheaper than LCD when you compare sizes...However, they are energy hogs. It uses as much power as your washer and dryer...

DLP is fine and the cheapest (if you're gonna get a 42"+), but you'll have to replace the bulb within 3 years which is about $300.

You can find LCD TVs in the 32" range for about $700.

1080p is the best on the market right now and Westinghouse has a 37" for like 1300...
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:23 am

I don't know if you get to the Lightside much, but there was a very good discussion between some guys that really know what they're talking about over there.

Link
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:27 am

as far as quality goes, plasma and lcd are superior to DLP. some people dont really have a preference though. go to a high end store and look at their displays. the best buys and circuit cities probably dont have their stuff properly calibrated. you dont have to buy from the high end store, but its nice to take a look at the sets there to see what they really capable of.

1080p is the best but i dont know that i would consider that a deal breaker at this point. HDTV, be it 720p, 1080i or 1080p, is going to look great and many people cant tell the difference.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:37 pm

Yeah, I'm just piecing together what I know from some casual research. That light side discussion is definitely worth checking out.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:51 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I don't know if you get to the Lightside much, but there was a very good discussion between some guys that really know what they're talking about over there.

Link

some of the guys there really know their stuff. some know almost nothing.

some resources i have found helpful:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/
reviews of plasma tv's as well as discussion of plamsa vs. lcd vs. dlp.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5102926 ... ?tag=prmo1
cnet's hdtv info. lots of info on understanding hdtv.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:39 am

newegg.com

Look at Olevias ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero