Daric Barton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Daric Barton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sockeye » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:52 pm

I read somewhere a couple days ago (vague, I know, but it was on something like rotoworld or John Sickles) that the A's would likely have a 3-way rotation between 1st and LF - Swisher playing full-time, but switching between 1st and LF to make up a platoon with Kielty (in LF) and Johnson (at 1B) as splits warranted. Without checking the split numbers, that seems to make a lot of sense to me.

If they do something like that and Johnson doesn't end up hitting well, it makes sense that Barton could then replace him in this platoon, thus "breaking him in" while seeing if his glove can handle it.
Of course, that would require Barton looking good at AAA.

A lot of ifs, but it makes sense, and could come together pretty easily by midseason if Johnson struggles again.

Member #6 of the Yadier Molina Fan Club
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby greenandgold » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:14 pm

sockeye wrote:I read somewhere a couple days ago (vague, I know, but it was on something like rotoworld or John Sickles) that the A's would likely have a 3-way rotation between 1st and LF - Swisher playing full-time, but switching between 1st and LF to make up a platoon with Kielty (in LF) and Johnson (at 1B) as splits warranted. Without checking the split numbers, that seems to make a lot of sense to me.

If they do something like that and Johnson doesn't end up hitting well, it makes sense that Barton could then replace him in this platoon, thus "breaking him in" while seeing if his glove can handle it.
Of course, that would require Barton looking good at AAA.

A lot of ifs, but it makes sense, and could come together pretty easily by midseason if Johnson struggles again.

I've heard the same thing. Kielty is a lot better against LHP (although he is played more often against RHP). It seems like a strange platoon since Johnson is a lefty - they both should start against leftys and sit against RHP.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby nathan050904 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:13 pm

To me he isn't really a fantasy type player. He has little to no power. I think eventually he could be a .285-.300 hitter but, deffinatly not what you want at 1B in fantasy.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:59 pm

nathan050904 wrote:To me he isn't really a fantasy type player. He has little to no power. I think eventually he could be a .285-.300 hitter but, deffinatly not what you want at 1B in fantasy.

it kind of depends on your league set up and depth. he would have more value in an obp league. he should still have solid fantasy value, but in a john olerud/edgar martinez kind of way. good numbers but less power than you typically would want out of a 1b/DH.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby sockeye » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:29 pm

Nick Johnson and Kevin Youkilis are both pretty helpful in my deep, OBP league. I am guessing that Barton could be at least as good as Youkilis, and possibly as good as Johnson last year. Does that jibe with the projections of others in here?

Member #6 of the Yadier Molina Fan Club
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nathan050904 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:12 pm

Closer to Kevin Youkilis then Nick Johnson. I don't see Barton ever hitting that many homeruns. I think if you want a statistical projection your looking at Youkilis.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball