Daric Barton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Daric Barton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daric Barton

Postby FalcoAtL » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:34 am

Another guy I'm curious about is Barton. Where does he project to start next year? Do the A's stay as is at first or call him up to platoon? If he does get the call what are the projections for his production next year as well as beyond? Also, among first basemen prospects where does he rank?
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby greenandgold » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:39 am

Tough to say about Barton's playing time next year since Swisher and D. Johnson are both good left handed first baseman. I doubt he will even platoon. His best chance for playing time will be if Johnson is hurt, slumping, or traded - if Johnson is strong I think Barton spends most of the year in the minors. If he bats right handed it might be a different story but so many of the A's players, are lefties.

It is a good sign that Payton was sent walking because Swish will probably get a lot more time in left field and open up first base, although against lefties Keilty will likely be in left most times. Also, with Thomas gone the DH spot is open but Beane is working on signing a right handed bat to put there. Kielty is likely to get time here as well.

If he is full time I would guess 15-20 HR and .280 initially and rising, I have heard him compared to Nick Johnson. He will have a nice OBP. Too bad he is no longer a catcher.

Here is what he said about his power and other stuff:
Blez: Do you like to consider yourself a home run hitter?

Barton: Not this year too much. I have some power, but I'm more of an average guy. I can hit some home runs, but I'm not too much of a power guy. The power will come though. I focus on hitting line drives and hitting the ball hard.

Blez: Did you know Haren and Calero pretty well?

Barton: Yeah, I knew Danny and Kiko pretty well from last year. I met them a few times and during spring training this year, we hung out a lot. I actually met Jason Kendall when I was in high school. He had a workout and his brother was a scout. And I hung out with him that one day. I was actually surprised he remembered me from that workout.

Blez: He remembered you from that one meeting?

Barton: Yeah from when I was a senior. So that was three years ago. He's a great guy.

Blez: That's pretty impressive. Favorite band?

Barton: Avenged Sevenfold. They're a group out of Huntington Beach. They're a heavy metal group.

Blez: Do you like Korn too? They're from HB.

Barton: Back in the day, I liked their music. My favorite song by Avenged Sevenfold is I Won't See You Tonight, Part 1.

Blez: Favorite book.

Barton: I don't have one, I really don't.

Blez: Have you read Moneyball?

Barton: I've read some of it. I haven't really gotten through the whole book. I don't read many books. I'm not really a reader.

Blez: What about magazines? Have a favorite?

Barton: It's got to be Maxim. That's a great magazine.

Blez: Favorite food?

Barton: It's got to be Mexican food. Definitely Mexican food.

Blez: Burritos or what?

Barton: Yep.

Blez: Carne asada or what?

Barton: Definitely carne asada.

Blez: Favorite female actress and/or model?

Barton: I'd have to say Carmen Electra.

Blez: I guess she sort of covers the actress and model. Favorite video game?

Barton: MVP Baseball 2005.

Blez: You realize you're in it, right? It's only that it isn't your name.

Barton: Someone told me something like that. Really?

Blez: Yeah, I think Baseball America's Top 100 prospects comes up when you're at bat.

Barton: Well, if it's me, it's great. Hopefully he succeeds in the video games.

Blez: It doesn't really look like you though.

Barton: I couldn't imagine it would.

http://www.athleticsnation.com/story/20 ... 22713/1039
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby sagecoll » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:05 pm

Barton probably would've been starting in 2007 if he continued the way he played at the beginning of 06 and didn't get injured. He won't put up big power numbers (20-25 hrs is about right), However his OBP will be absolutely filthy. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the high 300's low 400's. Nick Johnson is a great comparison. As far as his position in the organization goes, Johnson has been sliding down the ladder with his slump in 06, if he continues to decline Barton would get the nod. I don't know who will take the DH spot with the departure of the big hurt, but with Barton's bat it would be hard for Billy not to promote him
sagecoll
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Savoy Special » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:06 am

I wonder if we'll even see him in September now that Piazza has been acquired.
Savoy Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Hurt CPOY 06 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:33 pm

If anything, he'll play 1st base.
The Big Hurt was robbed!

Big Hurt CPOY 06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FalcoAtL » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:08 pm

Big Hurt CPOY 06 wrote:If anything, he'll play 1st base.

I think that's obvious. That's the only position he plays at this point. I realize he could also play DH, but I think the question was not where will he play, but will he get the call at all.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Savoy Special » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 pm

Yeah, I think at 1B he will be blocked by Johnson and Swisher (is he playing some 1B or will he be exclusively in the OF?) I don't really see Piazza playing any 1B at all. I am guessing about 30 games catching and 100 games at DH for Piazza assuming he stays healthy.
Is Johnson the only true 1B that is ahead of Barton or am I missing somebody? Is Swisher's position of the future at a corner OF or 1B or DH?
Savoy Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Hurt CPOY 06 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:47 pm

Hm...it's tough to tell right now. Swisher was amazing at 1st last year and should've gotten at least some consideration for the GG. If the A's plan to play Kielty full time, which is unlikely, than Swisher will be at 1st. If another OFer is brought in, than it'll be the same situation.

Johnson is the only thing standing in Barton's way. Although he's a physically big person, I don't see DJ being too 'big' of a hurdle for Barton. I hope everyone gets that, or else I'll look pretty foolish.

I see a stop gap FA being brought in while Barton gets his stroke back a little more. Maybe at the deadline, the FA signing will be traded and the full time job can go to Barton. Hopefully, Johnson will be long since traded by than.
The Big Hurt was robbed!

Big Hurt CPOY 06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Big Hurt CPOY 06 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:48 pm

Hm...it's tough to tell right now. Swisher was amazing at 1st last year and should've gotten at least some consideration for the GG. If the A's plan to play Kielty full time, which is unlikely, than Swisher will be at 1st. If another OFer is brought in, than it'll be the same situation.

Johnson is the only thing standing in Barton's way. Although he's a physically big person, I don't see DJ being too 'big' of a hurdle for Barton. I hope everyone gets that, or else I'll look pretty foolish.

I see a stop gap FA being brought in while Barton gets his stroke back a little more. Maybe at the deadline, the FA signing will be traded and the full time job can go to Barton. Hopefully, Johnson will be long since traded by than.

Also, I don't see Piazza seeing any action behind the plate. Bean has said he's sticking with Adam Melhuse as the backup to the extremely durable Kendall. Even in the even of an injury, the A's have a glut of catchers in the farm.
The Big Hurt was robbed!

Big Hurt CPOY 06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Half Massed » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:36 pm

As of now, Swisher is in the outfield with Johnson playing first and Piazza DHing. If Johnson collapses like last year, Barton will probably be called up to replace him, or if there's a lengthy injury or trade. Other than that he probably won't see much time until September.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball