Jeff Samardzija - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Jeff Samardzija

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeff Samardzija

Postby FalcoAtL » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:09 am

Just read that he has decided to play both football and baseball next year. Is this for sure? I really can't see the Cubs wasting a pick on a pitcher that could risk getting injured playing in the NFL. If this guy sticks with just baseball what are the predictions for his value as a prospect next year? What are people thinking his ETA is?
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby firebomb12 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:13 pm

from what i heard was that he is going to stick wth baseball that is what his parents said during the USC/Notre Dame Game that is what i heard. PLus i would say since he could get more money in baseball i think he will stick with that why risk getting hurt in football
firebomb12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby shortsavage » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:10 pm

Yeah, I heard that he isn't going to get drafted high enough to warrant sticking with football.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby bigboy1234 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:56 pm

shortsavage wrote:Yeah, I heard that he isn't going to get drafted high enough to warrant sticking with football.

He's currently projected to go late 1st round, early 2nd in the NFL draft. That's not that bad, in my opinion. He's the best senior WR in the NCAA. He may go higher if guys like Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, Ted Ginn Jr., and Sidney Rice stay in school, but I seriously doubt they will. So as of right now he is probably the 4th or 5th best wideout in the NFL draft.
bigboy1234
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Eagle Eye

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:10 am

shortsavage wrote:Yeah, I heard that he isn't going to get drafted high enough to warrant sticking with football.

He might go in the top ten, but a lot depends on how he does in the combine.

Mel Kiper Jr. has him #6 on his big board, which does not include undeclared juniors.

Right now it looks like he will go in the first round. He would be stupid to give up football considering that he will make more playing football in the next 8 years than he will pitching in baseball. If he gets drafted high enough he might be asked to give up baseball by his NFL team (what good is a wide receiver with a torn rotar cuff?)
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball