Moving to London. What do I do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Moving to London. What do I do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:03 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:BTW, the girls in Essex have a reputation for being easy. ;-D

How ironic :-b

eAsYsex
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:35 am

RugbyD wrote:great stuff so far guys. i appreciate it. ;-D

to clarify some things so far:

won't be having a car
will be living in the city
99% my apt....er, flat....will have to be furnished
our office is in Mayfair
i can play non-contact sports still
no footie.
dear god no footie. i just can't do it.

electronics question: is the issue one of both socket type and voltage? will adapters naturally adjust for the voltage difference or will i have to buy something separate? can i bring some stuff over along with a US surge protector/power strip and make ilfe easy that way?. things i'll definitely be bringing: electric shaver, DVD player, maybe an Xbox/PS2. i have a desktop, but i'm not sure what I'm going to do about that yet.

what about cell phones? i have Verizon right now. can i just call them and thell them to "switch me over" when the time comes?

I did consider mentioning cellphones. Tbh, you're probably best just buying a new one over here.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:34 am

see a dentist before you leave...it might be your last chance
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:01 pm

I'm sure this is the most obvious point, but it's also probably the most important. Make sure they give you a large enough raise to cover the cost of living increase. Other than Tokyo, London is the most expensive city in the world to live in. It would totally suck to move all the way to London only to find out you don't make enough money to enjoy it.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:17 pm

josebach wrote:I'm sure this is the most obvious point, but it's also probably the most important. Make sure they give you a large enough raise to cover the cost of living increase. Other than Tokyo, London is the most expensive city in the world to live in. It would totally suck to move all the way to London only to find out you don't make enough money to enjoy it.

yeah, pay negotiations haven;t even started yet and the variables will depend on what my expected tenure is over there. i'm talking to people who did the move several years ago and were at a higher level than me so they are giving me lots of detailed info on that end.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:17 pm

Coppermine wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:BTW, the girls in Essex have a reputation for being easy. ;-D

eAsYsex

Reminds me of the hotel in Revenge of the Nerds II- The Coral Essex. But some of the lights were burnt out. :-b

Congrats Rugby! I'm not sure I'd want to live in London, but I'm jealous you're making such a huge change in scenery. Should be fun. ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:19 pm

I know a chick in London she was good...you want her number
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:20 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

eAsYsex

Reminds me of the hotel in Revenge of the Nerds II- The Coral Essex. But some of the lights were burnt out. :-b

Congrats Rugby! I'm not sure I'd want to live in London, but I'm jealous you're making such a huge change in scenery. Should be fun. ;-D

I think it was HOTel cORAL esSEX ;-7
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk