MLB NEEDS A SALARY CAP! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB NEEDS A SALARY CAP!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB NEEDS A SALARY CAP!

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:45 pm

PLEASE! We really really need a salary cap for these teams. This is getting out of hand. When Randy Wolf gets 8 mil a year, you know something is wrong. These contracts are getting out of hand, and something needs to be done before the game is ruined completely.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:53 pm

If a salary cap meant lower ticket prices I would be on board but I'm pretty sure all a salary cap would do is make the owners richer.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:55 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:If a salary cap meant lower ticket prices I would be on board but I'm pretty sure all a salary cap would do is make the owners richer.

so be it. the current system is a joke.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby joeg24 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:03 pm

I agree, this time of year sucks to be a Twins fan as we'll likely be idle due to not having a free spending owner. That being said, we'll still probably out play most of these free spenders.
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:17 pm

joeg24 wrote:I agree, this time of year sucks to be a Twins fan as we'll likely be idle due to not having a free spending owner. That being said, we'll still probably out play most of these free spenders.

Isn't the Twins owner one of the wealthiest owners in baseball?
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby joeg24 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:21 pm

Yes he is, there's even rumors that Mr Burns is based on him.

He's got a foot in the grave, so I hope soon he puts some cash into the organization in his final years.
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Cow » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:22 pm

As a Indians fan I agree that MLB must have a salary cap. Soon the Tribe will lose players like Hafner and Sizemore because they will demand mega-contracts. It is getting old watching the same teams sign the free agents year in and year out. Its as if the middle to small market teams are nothing more than farm teams for the big market teams. Do you think the Yankees would trade away all their prospects if they were not able to sign whichever free agent they choose? The Yanks don't need a minor league system they have one in K.C., Minn, Cle, Pitt etc..... The only way a mid to small market team has a chance is through superior management. I say level the playing fields.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:24 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:If a salary cap meant lower ticket prices I would be on board but I'm pretty sure all a salary cap would do is make the owners richer.

I agree completely. I do not think a salary cap will do anything to improve baseball.

It is efficient management that translates to winning. See: Oakland, Minnesota, Florida, etc...

You can spend all the money in the world and not win due to poor management. See: Cubs, LAD, Rangers...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:27 pm

The thing that baseball needs more so then a cap is a floor. Some of these teams are a joke with how they don't spend the money the rake in. In another thread someone pointed out that one team had a pay roll less then what they got in revenue sharing. Something about that just seems crazy to me.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:30 pm

The Cow wrote:As a Indians fan I agree that MLB must have a salary cap. Soon the Tribe will lose players like Hafner and Sizemore because they will demand mega-contracts. It is getting old watching the same teams sign the free agents year in and year out. Its as if the middle to small market teams are nothing more than farm teams for the big market teams. Do you think the Yankees would trade away all their prospects if they were not able to sign whichever free agent they choose? The Yanks don't need a minor league system they have one in K.C., Minn, Cle, Pitt etc..... The only way a mid to small market team has a chance is through superior management. I say level the playing fields.

The Cow

According to this The Indians were actually the highest profiting team in baseball during the 05 season.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/Income_1.html
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers