No votes
Other (separated, widow, etc)
2%
Single but attached
30%

Total votes : 56

Postby Coppermine » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:27 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:That's why it's better to live together for a few years before getting engaged; something about that ring puts a lot of pressure on a relationship, living together or not. I mean, time has a different meaning as you get older I think... if you're lonely and in your late 30's, you may get married after dating someone for 3 months. Big deal though, almost 60% of marriages end in divorce regardless of how long you live together... it's just better to find out in the first few years before getting married, rather than being married for 3 years and having two kids before deciding you hate each other.

So much for the "sanctity of marriage." Kids are another story. I guess for a lot of people it's a take-em or leave-em sort of thing. A lot of times, people want kids right away, others want to wait. Most of our parents got married young and had us young. Mine were married 10 years before having kids and mom said, unironically, that it was the best decision she ever made.

My mom had me at 34 and my sister at 40...I think they were married 10 years or so before having me but I'm not sure.

Anyways my gf's parents were married at 18 and had been dating since Junior high!!

She had kids at 19...good lord!

Yizzikes!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:34 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Yoda wrote:Been married for 4 years (I was 27 at the time). I would advise people to stay unmarried as long as possible. Once you get married, you are in it for life. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the relationship/situation.

Now she is blackmailing me by crying about wanting kids.

i hear ya...only been married a little over a month, so what happens...her stupid cousin and real good freind get knocked up...so the "I want a baby" babble will be rolling in by our 1st anniversary

...at least for the wedding i got a bunch of free crap

Yea the free crap is good..i'll be keeping that in mind.

No kids for me...at least not for a while...actually hopefully never I don't like kids they ruin lives

plus you get to have a bachelor party ;-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:43 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Yoda wrote:Been married for 4 years (I was 27 at the time). I would advise people to stay unmarried as long as possible. Once you get married, you are in it for life. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the relationship/situation.

Now she is blackmailing me by crying about wanting kids.

i hear ya...only been married a little over a month, so what happens...her stupid cousin and real good freind get knocked up...so the "I want a baby" babble will be rolling in by our 1st anniversary

...at least for the wedding i got a bunch of free crap

Yea the free crap is good..i'll be keeping that in mind.

No kids for me...at least not for a while...actually hopefully never I don't like kids they ruin lives

plus you get to have a bachelor party ;-D

See, I have a bachelor party every Saturday night. :-D
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:14 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I have no sympathy for anyone who got married without knowing whether or not, and when, their wife wanted to have children. That's kind of an important thing to talk about before the marriage.

It's different if she said 'maybe in a few years,' or something, then started talking about kids within a few months after the wedding.

Come on... you don't think people talk about this stuff before getting married? Be serious.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:16 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Happily married with a 7-year old boy. I'm much happier in this situation than I ever was 'single'. You no longer live as and by yourself. It's great and I honestly don't understand the people who can't stand to be around their wife and kids.

What's wrong with the marriage soxfan?

The past two weeks have certainly made me see the other side. My fiance gave back her ring and moved out, and I'm missing things I wouldn't have initially thought I'd miss. While things were headed in the wrong direction, I loved any time I could get to myself to do this, that, or the other thing. If I ever get another chance, I'll certainly not be taking for granted what I've got.

Yeah but you took her for granted for a reason. It probably wasn't a good fit and you should be happy that it ended sooner than later. Still, I am sorry but I think you are better off now.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:36 pm

Nearly three years here. 19 and enjoying every minute of it, though I can say college presents some difficulties.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:26 am

Yoda wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:The past two weeks have certainly made me see the other side. My fiance gave back her ring and moved out, and I'm missing things I wouldn't have initially thought I'd miss. While things were headed in the wrong direction, I loved any time I could get to myself to do this, that, or the other thing. If I ever get another chance, I'll certainly not be taking for granted what I've got.

Yeah but you took her for granted for a reason. It probably wasn't a good fit and you should be happy that it ended sooner than later. Still, I am sorry but I think you are better off now.

Well, I don't know if he's better off now per se. I am not the type of person who believes everything happens for a reason, but by the same token, there should be a belief that there are better days ahead.

I think at times people do take their significant others for granted - whether it's unintentional or otherwise - maybe because they believe the other half will always be there.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 672)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:42 pm

I think at times people do take their significant others for granted - whether it's unintentional or otherwise - maybe because they believe the other half will always be there.

This would be precisely where I'm at. My initial reaction to the entire split up was shock. Because I truthfully had never even considered the possibility of her not being here anymore. Stupid on my end, sure, but it's not the first or last stupid thing I've done or will do in a relationship, and I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in having made this mistake.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:00 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

This would be precisely where I'm at. My initial reaction to the entire split up was shock. Because I truthfully had never even considered the possibility of her not being here anymore. Stupid on my end, sure, but it's not the first or last stupid thing I've done or will do in a relationship, and I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in having made this mistake.

Dang, I'm going out to buy my wife flowers right now.

Sorry to hear about your ex Hort but as charming and handsome as you are you'll have to pry the women off of you with a crowbar.....just not sure that a fantasy baseball site is the way to get the word out. :-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:43 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Dang, I'm going out to buy my wife flowers right now.

Sorry to hear about your ex Hort but as charming and handsome as you are you'll have to pry the women off of you with a crowbar.....just not sure that a fantasy baseball site is the way to get the word out. :-D

All I have to do is let the beast out of the cage and I should be alright...

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk