Elijah Dukes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Elijah Dukes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby killa3312 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:56 pm

The player Delmon reminded me most of, from the time he was drafted to now, is Andre Dawson. From the huge arm in RF to the aggressiveness at the plate and the ability to steal bases... that's who he reminds me of. And he has the potential to be better than the Hawk. Yeah, he doesn't walk a lot, but he does have a good eye. I know it's hard to believe, but based on watching him with Tampa this past season... he's very aggressive on the first pitch, and falls behind 0-2 a lot, but he doesn't swing at a lot of bad pitches (ala, Jeff Francouer). When he sees a pitch he think he can't hit, he usually lays off of it. He's very aggressive within the strike zone, but not so much outside of it.

I think, as time goes on and with the respect he'll garner for his hitting prowess, and as he figures pitchers out more, he'll start to take more walks. There were several managers calling him a Hall of Famer after 126 ABs in the majors, and even a couple hinted the name Frank Robinson after seeing him play. Don't believe me? There's a blog from Peter Gammons for insiders on ESPN.com that mentions that very thing. I'm not ready to bust out the comparisons to an all-time great like Frank Robinson, but that's how a lot of people see his ceiling as (He's also been compared to Albert Belle, who, if not for all his problems, would of been a HoF lock).

Delmon Young will be a great major league player... I'd be shocked if he wasn't.
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby suppasonic » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:43 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
steagles wrote:dukes can't go back to durham, so he is pretty much forced to either play in the majors or be traded.

a dukes-crawford-young outfield would be pretty sweet, even though i'm not that high on delmon.

why do you say this? :-?

I'm wondering the same thing. Have him on a Dynasty team...would love for him to start this year.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:53 pm

suppasonic wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
steagles wrote:dukes can't go back to durham, so he is pretty much forced to either play in the majors or be traded.

a dukes-crawford-young outfield would be pretty sweet, even though i'm not that high on delmon.

I'm wondering the same thing. Have him on a Dynasty team...would love for him to start this year.

He had a very good chance, but i think due to the Knee injury he will be back in AAA to start the season but will get a call-up.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steagles » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:44 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:

read this thread:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/20 ... 211933/501

i'm not so foolish as to believe all of what the original poster said, but between him, and the comments later on, a pretty bleak picture is painted as to the possibility of dukes returning to durham next season.
it's a bad strategy to base your lineup on the relative beauty of a man's outs rather than the rate at which he makes them

- Brian O'Neill
steagles
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:51 pm

steagles wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

read this thread:

i'm not so foolish as to believe all of what the original poster said, but between him, and the comments later on, a pretty bleak picture is painted as to the possibility of dukes returning to durham next season.

A lot of those guys who complained are now gone. Also, the Rays moved Dukes to 1st in the AFL, but he hurt himself and i have talked to some people inside the Rays organization who said there is a good chance he will be starting in AAA (Durham) next season. The fact is Durham will do what the Rays say ultimately. The Rays did what they could before, gave him time to cool down and non renewed a lot of the people in Durham.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Koby Schellenger » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:24 pm

steagles wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

read this thread:

That doesn't mean he can't go back to Durham. All he's saying is that Durham doesn't want him. But it doesn't matter what they want. The decision is Tampa's.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:09 pm

Dukes was just arrested for possession of Marijuana here in Tampa. Another step back for Dukes
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Members Only Jackets » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:30 pm

it's still early enough so , yeah while it's a step back, it won't hamper him if he gets back on track in Spring. It was only a cple grams that was found on his console. That's a small amount and it's just grass....
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Allegreenery » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:04 pm

so should I draft him i n the 4th round of my minor league draft?
Allegreenery
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 20)

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:57 pm

Allegreenery wrote:so should I draft him i n the 4th round of my minor league draft?

IMO, i don't know what is going to happen with him, i wouldn't draft him, but thats just me
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball