Holiday Peace = Not supporting the troops - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Holiday Peace = Not supporting the troops

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby josebach » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:04 pm

I really have no idea what the big deal is. Seems like much ado about nothing.

Isn't "Peace on Earth, Good Will towards Men" a commonly quoted Bible verse during the holidays?

*edit* changed "Peach" to "Peace" :-b
Last edited by josebach on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BritSox » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:16 pm

josebach wrote:I really have no idea what the big deal is. Seems like much ado about nothing.

Isn't "Peach on Earth, Good Will towards Men" a commonly quoted Bible verse during the holidays?

Quite.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:20 pm

BritSox wrote:
josebach wrote:I really have no idea what the big deal is. Seems like much ado about nothing.

Isn't "Peach on Earth, Good Will towards Men" a commonly quoted Bible verse during the holidays?

Quite.

They also wrote a song about it...

Millions of peaches
Peaches for me
Millions of peaches
Peaches for free

;-) :-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:30 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Well, I think the rebuttals about the people opposed to the wreath not appreciating peace is a little off target. I certainly don't believe these people should be fined or persecuted in any way for their wreath, but I find it hard to believe the community doesn't like peace. They don't like what they believe the peace symbol represents, and, to them, it is not peace. It's an upside down cross with the limbs broken down. That's how they interpret it. It's slightly delusional, but it's a popular belief.

Do people really believe that?? I've never heard that before

My dad, among many others I know, believe this.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)

Postby josebach » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:55 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Well, I think the rebuttals about the people opposed to the wreath not appreciating peace is a little off target. I certainly don't believe these people should be fined or persecuted in any way for their wreath, but I find it hard to believe the community doesn't like peace. They don't like what they believe the peace symbol represents, and, to them, it is not peace. It's an upside down cross with the limbs broken down. That's how they interpret it. It's slightly delusional, but it's a popular belief.

There have been claims that the symbol has older, occult or anti-Christian associations. In South Africa, under the apartheid regime, there was an official attempt to ban it. Various far-right and fundamentalist American groups have also spread the idea of Satanic associations or condemned it as a Communist sign. However the origins and the ideas behind the symbol have been clearly described, both in letters and in interviews, by Gerald Holtom and his original, first sketches are now on display as part of the Commonweal Collection in Bradford.

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/~lcushing/a ... ticle.html
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:23 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Interesting...nebraska sounds like an interesting place have you ever met 311?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:31 pm

BritSox wrote:

Quite.

That's not a Bible verse I'm familiar with. The sentiment is probably there but it's not a direct quote from the Bible.
Good morning America, how are you... Don't you know me, I'm your native son
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:33 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

It's not that small. :-b

I've gotten very close to meeting them. I didn't recognize the guy standing behind this bus after a show we had been to. Turns out it was SA.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:40 pm

Rkiivs wrote:
BritSox wrote:

Quite.

That's not a Bible verse I'm familiar with. The sentiment is probably there but it's not a direct quote from the Bible.

Yes, it is. :-D

It's from Luke. I think it's actually on Earth peace but most people say peace on Earth.

Edit: Yeah looked it up online:

10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:49 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

It's not that small. :-b

I've gotten very close to meeting them. I didn't recognize the guy standing behind this bus after a show we had been to. Turns out it was SA.

I met them one time it was pretty cool
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk