Holiday Peace = Not supporting the troops - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Holiday Peace = Not supporting the troops

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Holiday Peace = Not supporting the troops

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:00 pm

http://www.denverpost.com/movies/ci_4731414

A new level of stupid has reached our country and again it starts in rural colorado. I can't wait for the south park episode on this.

Please look below at these unamerican hippies who dare think peace has anything to do with the Holiday spirit!!! Maybee if the bow was yellow the loonies wouldn't be complaining
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:03 pm

ugh..

well ;-D ;-D to them for not backing down.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:12 pm

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see a problem with a wreath in the shape of a peace sign. A little too hippyish for my taste as the peace sign died decades ago as far as I'm concerned, but I don't see a reason to force them to take it down. :-?

Then again, if the neighbors don't want to be associated with hippies or are concerned about their property values, maybe a small case could be made. It's certainly not a big deal at all, but that's the only thing I can figure out of all of this. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:14 pm

Madison wrote:Unless I'm missing something, I don't see a problem with a wreath in the shape of a peace sign. A little too hippyish for my taste as the peace sign died decades ago as far as I'm concerned, but I don't see a reason to force them to take it down. :-?

Then again, if the neighbors don't want to be associated with hippies or are concerned about their property values, maybe a small case could be made. It's certainly not a big deal at all, but that's the only thing I can figure out of all of this. :-?

Some people are saying that the wreath is Satanic :-D

Here's another article on it with more looney opinions

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006 ... 097457.txt
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:28 pm

acsguitar wrote:Some people are saying that the wreath is Satanic :-D

Yeah, I saw that. :-b

See how outdated the peace sign is? :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:35 pm

Madison wrote:

I guess so people don't know what it means any more :)

Reading the history on it in the past it has had different meanings one of them being nuclear disarming .

However I think its pretty clear to most people who have turned on a TV in the last 50 years that its a symbol of peace.

Every symbol has different meanings such as the Swastika is a symbol of good luck I believe in some cultures and in the buddhist lifestyle

The swastika (Sanskrit svastika) is a cross with four arms of equal length, with the ends of each arm bent at a right angle. Sometimes dots are added between each arm.

The swastika is an ancient symbol found worldwide and especially common in India. The swastika's Indian name comes the Sanskrit word svasti, meaning good fortune, luck and well being. In Hinduism, the right-hand (clockwise) swastika is a solar symbol and the left-hand (counterclockwise) swastika represents Kali and magic. The Buddhist swastika is almost always clockwise.

In Buddhism, the swastika was commonly used in sacred art before the days of the Buddha image. As in Hinduism, it signified auspiciousness and good fortune, but also symbolized the Buddha's footprints.

Still though I wouldn't post a Swastika on my house. Then again the peace sign obviously isn't related strongly to any sort of death movement.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BritSox » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:49 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

Reading the history on it in the past it has had different meanings one of them being nuclear disarming .

However I think its pretty clear to most people who have turned on a TV in the last 50 years that its a symbol of peace.

That's THE meaning, or at least the original one. (The symbol comes from the semaphore signals N and D). It's the symbol of the British organisation, The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. I've always associated it as such.

Funny, I never really realised it had any application beyond that group. (To be honest, I hadn't realised the CND was a British rather than international outfit either).
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:54 pm

BritSox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

That's THE meaning, or at least the original one. (The symbol comes from the semaphore signals N and D). It's the symbol of the British organisation, The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. I've always associated it as such.

Funny, I never really realised it had any application beyond that group. (To be honest, I hadn't realised the CND was a British rather than international outfit either).

Thats the Meaning in Britain definitely but not here in the states. 9 out of 10 people would say Peace over Nuclear Disarming. However, in britain its different
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BritSox » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:59 pm

Oh, I don't doubt that. In the same way most people would associate Swastikas with the Nazis, or 'liberal' as meaning left-wing.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:00 pm

BritSox wrote:Oh, I don't doubt that. In the same way most people would associate Swastikas with the Nazis, or 'liberal' as meaning left-wing.

Yep...

Still its funny to me...people get so upset about the littlest things
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk