Nativity "Offensive" at a Christmas Celebration! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Nativity "Offensive" at a Christmas Celebration!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:36 pm

ironman wrote:
Madison wrote:
"The last time I checked, the first six letters of Christmas still spell out Christ,"

"It's tantamount to celebrating Lincoln's birthday without talking about Abraham Lincoln."

Exactly. Christmas is about the birth of Christ. It's a religious holiday. Crazy to celebrate the birth of Christ when Christ isn't allowed to be seen, spoken of, or pictured there.

The city does not want to appear to endorse one religion over another, said Cindy Gatziolis, a spokeswoman for the Mayor's Office of Special Events.

Then they need to celebrate ALL religious holidays, or NONE of them. Take their pick, but they cannot remove Christ from Christmas and say they are not choosing sides.

The insanity is they have a nativity scene there! So the nativity scene is there but promoting a movie that tells the story of it is offensive? Why not just turn it into the Christmas pageant from South Park where the kids are all dressed in unitards, dancing to minimalist music composed by Phillip Glass.

Seriously who's walking by some sort of Christmas-y thing and getting offended? And if they are getting offended can we round them up and ship them off somewhere? Because it's lameass crybabies like that, that are ruining everything.

God I hate Phillip Glass...i don't much like xmas either but still I'm not gonna protest it.

When's the flying spaghetti monster holiday?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:55 pm

It never stops. It amazes me how people want to celebrate Christmas, but want it to be a non-religious holiday. Has any other religious holiday taken more hits and been messed with more the Christmas? If non-Christians want a religious holiday to butcher, why not pick Hanukkah? I mean that goes on a whole week.

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:We are too politically correct in America.

Pretty much sums it up in 7 words right there.

Of course, this would not be tolerated at all if this 'discrimination' were targeted at another religion...

I can understand not allowing Christmas celebrations, but to allow Christmas to be acknowledged and not let people show what the holiday is actually about, just seems idiotic to me.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ironman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:02 pm

1337_Dude wrote:It never stops. It amazes me how people want to celebrate Christmas, but want it to be a non-religious holiday. Has any other religious holiday taken more hits and been messed with more the Christmas? If non-Christians want a religious holiday to butcher, why not pick Hanukkah? I mean that goes on a whole week.

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Pretty much sums it up in 7 words right there.

Of course, this would not be tolerated at all if this 'discrimination' were targeted at another religion...

I can understand not allowing Christmas celebrations, but to allow Christmas to be acknowledged and not let people show what the holiday is actually about, just seems idiotic to me.

The whole thing is ridiculous but I sort of disagree with the "We are too politcally correct" statement. It's just a small portion of the population that is too politically correct and then some dumbasses that keep bending to their wishes (see politicians). I would like to believe most Americans have more logic than that. Plus when you look at what comedy acts are the most popular, it's typically ones that are pretty PC-unfriendly (Chappelle, Mencia, even Larry the Cable Guy).
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:11 pm

;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:22 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Who's being more discriminated against here? :-?

Pagans...who had their celebration hi-jacked by Christians who wanted to celebrate Jesus' "birth" on a day that was already a popular holiday.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:26 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

Pagans...who had their celebration hi-jacked by Christians who wanted to celebrate Jesus' "birth" on a day that was already a popular holiday.

Yes, that is exactly why I celebrate Christmas. Out of spite towards the pagans. The history of Christmas is irrelevant towards what I was going for here. My point is that some people are over-protected while others are under-protected. Seems like a double-standard when these same people gripe about equality and fairness.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BritSox » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:26 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

Close to a day. Close.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:25 pm

I think people who live in warm climates are descriminated against :-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:25 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Seems like a double-standard when these same people gripe about equality and fairness.

The heck you say! 8-o

There are double-standards out there? 8-o

I'm speechless. ;-7

:-b :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Half Massed » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:04 pm

It's a Christian majority, so the Christian holiday is most celebrated and most popular marketing-wise. The marketing has gone a whole different direction from the original St. Nick, but it still is a Christian holiday. Trying to take Christ out of it is just dumb. Just celebrate the holiday season, or the winter solstice as the Pagans celebrated, if you want no religion. Don't try to take religion out of a fundamentally religious holiday.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk