Favorite Albums of 2006? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Favorite Albums of 2006?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:03 pm

DK wrote:I guess we'll have to disagree on IWW. IMO, it was an absolute 5-mic classic album, but since it wasn't Illmatic, nobody noticed.

You talking about "Hate" off the Equinox?

I know how you feel. I'm the same way with Beats, Rhymes, and Life. It's nowhere near as good as any of Tribe's first three albums, but is still a very, very good album. If that had been the debut CD for a new group rather than the 4th release of one of the best acts of all-time, I really think it would be considered one of the best albums of the mid to late 90s.

I was talking about Stray Bullet off of Stress: The Extinction Agenda.

Check this video out, apparently this was the EPK that was sent out prior to Illmatic's release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlreY-jkwWg&search=nas
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:57 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
DK wrote:I guess we'll have to disagree on IWW. IMO, it was an absolute 5-mic classic album, but since it wasn't Illmatic, nobody noticed.

You talking about "Hate" off the Equinox?

I know how you feel. I'm the same way with Beats, Rhymes, and Life. It's nowhere near as good as any of Tribe's first three albums, but is still a very, very good album. If that had been the debut CD for a new group rather than the 4th release of one of the best acts of all-time, I really think it would be considered one of the best albums of the mid to late 90s.

I was talking about Stray Bullet off of Stress: The Extinction Agenda.

Check this video out, apparently this was the EPK that was sent out prior to Illmatic's release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlreY-jkwWg&search=nas

Damnit, I really need to get that album. All I have from OK is Equinox...

I've seen that video before. It's a really cool look into the album.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DK » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:01 pm

My favorite Nas story is definitely this one:

DJ Premier wrote:Nas—he’s one of our saviors now. When we did "N.Y. State of Mind," at the beginning when he says, "Straight out the dungeons of rap / Where fake n***as don’t make it back," then you hear him say, "I don’t know how to start this s***," ’cause he had just written it. He’s got the beat running in the studio, but he doesn’t know how he’s going to format how he’s going to convey it. So he’s going, "I don’t know how to start this s***," and I’m counting him in (to begin his verse). One, two, three. And then you can hear him go, "Yo," and then he goes right into it. He didn’t know how he was gonna come in, but he just started going because we were recording. I’m actually yelling, "We’re recording!" and banging on the (vocal booth) window. ‘Come on, get ready!’ You hear him start the s***: Rappers…. And then everyone in the studio was like, "Oh, my God," ’cause it was so unexpected. He was not ready. So we used that first verse. And that was when he was up and coming, his first album. So we was like, Yo, this guy is gonna be big.

;D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:42 am

wow 2 things.....it was written was one of my favorites from nas AND lost tapes is also very good too...i can listen to the whole cd non-stop from beginning to end without a bad track on it....i know most people all have very different opinions about nas's albums (ive had debates before, but heres my order)

1. I honestly didnt ENJOY listening to illmatic as much as other nas albums, but i guess you just HAVE to put it at number 1 for what it started.
2. It Was Written
3. Lost Tapes
4. Stillmatic
5. Street's Disciple
6. God's Son
7. I Am
8. Nastradamous

nastradamous is the only album i can actually say i didnt really like, but at the same time, it has one of my favorite nas tracks on it, which is Last Words.....I gave you power is probably my favorite nas track of all time though and rip-off or not (i havent heard the other version, its just amazing) As long as Hip Hop is Dead can come in around 5th or 6th best from him, ill be satisfied.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby smoovethug » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:21 am

Yes Lost Tapes is a great album. It's crazy to think that a compilation of songs that didnt make other albums is better than most rappers work. I Am was one of my favorite Nas albums when I bought it. Small World is a GEM and is still one of my favorite songs by him to this day with Purple a close second.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby tuff_gong » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:15 am

I'm lovin' all this Nas discussion. For me, the list goes like...

1.Illmatic
2.It Was Written...
3.Stillmatic
4.God's Son
5.Lost Tapes (Purple is the s***!!!!)
6.I am...
7.Streets Disciple
8.Nastradamus/QB Finest

Has anyone here heard any of the songs off Hip-Hop is Dead? From the ones I heard (Hip Hop is Dead, Black Republicans ft. Jay-Z, and QB True G feat. The Game), the album is gonna be goooooooood. :-°

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:26 pm

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:31 pm

Tavish wrote:Image

;-D

I really do think this was a great great album..however, its just not for me at the moment...
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm

I'm waiting for Biz Markie to drop his next album...
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:43 pm

smoovethug wrote:Yes Lost Tapes is a great album. It's crazy to think that a compilation of songs that didnt make other albums is better than most rappers work. I Am was one of my favorite Nas albums when I bought it. Small World is a GEM and is still one of my favorite songs by him to this day with Purple a close second.

I do really love the Lost Tapes, don't get me wrong. My 7th favorite Nas album is still a great, great album. I just prefer his other stuff more.

Blaze a 50, Purple, etc. TONS of great stuff.

"Death of Escobar" -the unofficial bootleg- has some seriously classic stuff on it too.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk