Project Prospect top 25 list - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Project Prospect top 25 list

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Project Prospect top 25 list

Postby shortsavage » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:56 am

Here's a link to the top 25 list that the Project Prospect team put together.

http://www.projectprospect.com/top-25-07/

Feel free to try to tear it apart.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sockeye » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:17 pm

Enjoyable to get up this Am and cruise the new list over coffee. The list is not yet available from the main page at PP - I take it that it's still in draft?

I like the ranks, and also the peripheral data you've chosen to include. Nice to not have to hunt for age/level info, and to get a brief narrative behind each one. I would actually vote for even more info (two sentences? three?). All that stat info can be tracked down by us amateurs - it's the qualitative stuff that is hard to find (what Elbert throws/ has he ever had DL time / Etc.).

The rankings themselves seem solid. I'm not sure I'd take Bruce, Elbert, or Pelfrey in those spots, but it's splitting hairs at that point. Also, people will probably squawk at Upton's placement (and I say let 'em - he needs to show a little more before moving back up).

Thanks for the work!

Member #6 of the Yadier Molina Fan Club
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:32 pm

There's are two links to the list on our home page...a note that's attached to the featured story and a link on the navigation bar under "Our Top Prospect List."

I was going to add more information -- round drafted, signing bonus, ect. -- but I'd have to make the font smaller or widen the rows so that notes could use two lines. I'm not sure how I could add more without making major changes.

Once the season gets going, we're going to update this weekly, so I'm going to put where the guy ranked the previous week...think I'll just have to shorten to notes to do that.

Hehe, I could always redesign the website, too.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:57 pm

Good stuff! I'm really enjoying reading over some of your rankings and articles. Keep up the good work.

One thing that has me puzzled though. How doesn't Virgil Vasquez make it on your "Top SP performances" spot in your "Arizona Fall League: Pitching Conclusions" article?? I realize he isn't a big name prospect but it could be argued that he gave the best pitching performance in the AFL. In his first AFL start in which he had flu like symptoms he gave up 8 runs in 1.2 IP . After that he was lights out running a scoreless innings streak to 28 including the AFL Championship game that he got the W in. After he got rocked in his first start he had a 0.31 ERA in 29 IP only allowing 1 ER dropping his overall ERA to 2.68. I would have much rather seen Vasquez get his props over Jordan Tata.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FalcoAtL » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:17 pm

Should Andrew Miller really be that close to Braun and Longoria? Just wondering
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby shortsavage » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:37 pm

FalcoAtL wrote:Should Andrew Miller really be that close to Braun and Longoria? Just wondering

I think so. You probably will see Andrew Miller higher on a fair amount of lists, too.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby shortsavage » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:40 pm

Dannomyte wrote:Good stuff! I'm really enjoying reading over some of your rankings and articles. Keep up the good work.

One thing that has me puzzled though. How doesn't Virgil Vasquez make it on your "Top SP performances" spot in your "Arizona Fall League: Pitching Conclusions" article?? I realize he isn't a big name prospect but it could be argued that he gave the best pitching performance in the AFL. In his first AFL start in which he had flu like symptoms he gave up 8 runs in 1.2 IP . After that he was lights out running a scoreless innings streak to 28 including the AFL Championship game that he got the W in. After he got rocked in his first start he had a 0.31 ERA in 29 IP only allowing 1 ER dropping his overall ERA to 2.68. I would have much rather seen Vasquez get his props over Jordan Tata.

Yeah, good comment about Vasquez...he probably at least deserved a mention.

The only AFL coverage that I did was my AFL column and a bunch of interviews from when I went to Arizona. Nick Christie did our AFL coverage. He was focussing on top prospects.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:33 am

I really like the way you have Martinez ahead of Tabata. The Yankee hype machine is so hard to ignore. Both are great prospects but I think Fernando has better tools. That arm is great.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball