Is The Break Up a Chick Flick? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Is The Break Up a Chick Flick?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

yes or no

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes : 20

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:42 pm

Amazinz wrote:The movie deals with their relationship seriously. Any movie that focuses on the relationship between a man and a woman is by definition a chick flick.

i wouldnt call eternal sunshine of the spotless mind a chick flick, but i guess to some it is.

Also, I do think they went for the tear-jerker type ending. I just don't think they pulled it off well.

they said thats not what they were going for. maybe they were lying, i dont think so though. cold mountain has a tear jerker ending. the break up just wanted to be different.

for me the real litmus test for a chick flick is whether or a not a guy would admit to watching the movie without his girlfriend.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:44 pm

Eternal Sunshine is not a chick flick
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:48 pm

acsguitar wrote:Eternal Sunshine is not a chick flick

Agreed, I think it's much more of a dark comedy but it doesn't follow the typical chick flick formula either. Basically, if there is complex character development and an original plot, it ceases being a chick flick regardless of the subject matter. Chick flicks by definition are intended to appeal to the bonehead mass audience. You're typical woman who loves chick flicks would absolutely hate a Charlie Kauffman film.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:55 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:for me the real litmus test for a chick flick is whether or a not a guy would admit to watching the movie without his girlfriend.

I don't think that's a good litmus test. Maybe when you're 17. I like a lot of chick flicks. I don't really care what people think. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:25 pm

Amazinz wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:for me the real litmus test for a chick flick is whether or a not a guy would admit to watching the movie without his girlfriend.

I don't think that's a good litmus test. Maybe when you're 17. I like a lot of chick flicks. I don't really care what people think. ;-)

At least you are woman enough to admit that
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Watch it tough guy. Nobody puts Baby in a corner! :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:43 pm

Amazinz wrote:

well then by my definition they arent chick flicks. :-b
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:55 pm

chick flick, but i saw it on the way to Hawaii on an airplane so i missed the bare ass scene :-t
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:05 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

well then by my definition they arent chick flicks. :-b

That's cool, you're still going through that denial stage. We all do... :-B

j/k To each his own.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby thedude » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:31 pm

acsguitar wrote:Eternal Sunshine is not a chick flick

I disagree. Besides, at least i didn't fall asleep in the middle of the break up.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to General Talk