Updated Offseason Funston "Big Board" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Updated Offseason Funston "Big Board"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Updated Offseason Funston "Big Board"

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:58 pm

Thoughts?

Big Board
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:23 pm

This guy really is lost as far as ranking baseball players. The first part isn't too bad. I can "see" most of those rankings as passable.

But Matsuzaka on the board? Ahead of.... K-Rod, Smoltz, Rivera, Nathan and Ryan just to name a few?

Peavy at #43? Will he really fall to the last of the 4th round? If so where do I sign up?

D.Lee ahead of A,Jones, Glaus, Thome, Young, Konerko, Delgado? Would you take Lee before those guys? Espically considering how deep 1B is?

Glaus at 42? Behind Chipper Jones? Atkins?

Closers seem to have NO value. Even though they help in every stat except Wins.

Catchers dont seem to have alot of value either.

This board is much like the rest. Laughable...

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:25 pm

I gotta say, before clicking the link, I was expecting worse.

Still, I disagree with many placements.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby suppasonic » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:27 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:I gotta say, before clicking the link, I was expecting worse.

I agree.

But he's got as good of a top 10 as I have seen. I kinda hope that people will let A-Rod drop farther this year (late first) so I can grab hi :D but otherwise, his top 10 are pretty good.

A few I disagree with, but this is much better than in past years.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby WyldStallyn » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:35 pm

suppasonic wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:I gotta say, before clicking the link, I was expecting worse.

I agree.

But he's got as good of a top 10 as I have seen. I kinda hope that people will let A-Rod drop farther this year (late first) so I can grab hi :D but otherwise, his top 10 are pretty good.

A few I disagree with, but this is much better than in past years.

my thoughts exactly. hes done much worse. i dont agree with soriano 2 or howard 3, but most of the rest i can see. i hope abreu falls to 33rd and wells at 36 overall in my drafts
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby greenandgold » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:49 pm

CadensDad wrote:D.Lee ahead of A,Jones, Glaus, Thome, Young, Konerko, Delgado? Would you take Lee before those guys? Espically considering how deep 1B is?

Glaus at 42? Behind Chipper Jones? Atkins?

Catchers dont seem to have alot of value either.

I hate to say it but I agree with Funston on these things, maybe A. Jones is close to D. Lee but his rankings reflect that. Your other points a definatly valid though, his treatment of top closers is horrible.

I would kick off Glaus, Chipper, and Matsuzaka to make room for KRod, Nathan, and McCann.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:50 pm

Thought the list was'nt too bad. That being said, I'd change the following:

Jeter too high. Had a career year.

Berkman too low, but list was before the Lee signing.

Hafner too low. He was heading toward 50HR before he missed the last month of the season. Would have been close to Ryan Howard territory.

Holliday too high. I think he is correct about the Holliday hype though.

Texiera too high. I think he'll bounce back, but a 2nd round pick??

Morneau - Deserves Texiera's spot.

Chipper Jones - Funston quotes 162 game numbers. News flash, he hasn't even made it to 140 games for the past three years.

Manny too low. Did'nt forget how to hit.

K Rod should be in the top fifty. Best reliever in the game.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:14 pm

I think the list is actually pretty good. I personally wouldn't take a closer in the top 4 rounds (both because they only give you about 70-80 IP and because I feel that you can generally find guys who are almost as good later in the draft). So I don't personally have any issues with the lack of a closer in the top 50.

I would also rank Hafner higher but to be fair, he's yet to make it to 500 AB in his career. I'm not sure I'd take Sheff, Glaus, Mauer, Chipper or Matsui that high but that's probably more due to personal preference than a real problem with the rankings. I think Funston definitely does a good job keeping proven players on the big board ahead of younger, unproven, hyped-up guys like McCann, Zimmerman, Verlander, Hamels, Weaver, etc.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:58 pm

Yeah, over the years I've learned that Funston is a lot better than the crap we continually give him. Granted, he is off on a few players -- most notably Bobby Abreu -- but who isn't? If everyone agreed with each other what would be the point of playing?

I don't have much of a problem with his big board and would really like to see some of the members here put their game where their mouth is and actually beat Funston in a league (for once).
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:19 pm

I would love to play in a league against Funston just because it would be cool to see how I'd do. And there is a rumor that he actually visits the Cafe under an alias... I thought his last BB was pretty good especially since it was out so early. The only thing that really stands out is Soriano 2nd over Arod. I realize you can make a good argument for Soriano based on positional value but if I'm sitting there with pick two I just cant see myself passing on Arod.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers